15 Things I Learned On That Stupid Trip To Gainesville

fla-trip

Everyone does something regrettable and stupid from time to time and my lonely road trip to Gainesville to watch Kentucky get spanked by 22 points falls under that category.

In a decision I wish I could take back, I drove straight from Florida’s O’Connell Center all the way back to Lexington after the game. I left the arena around 12:30 am and collapsed on my couch as soon as I got home around noon on Sunday. It really, really sucked, but I learned these valuable lessons and hard truths while I was away…

1. Kentucky isn’t a good basketball team right now.

I knew this before driving to Florida, but Saturday night’s game further proved that Kentucky simply isn’t good at basketball right now.

Why is that the case? I have no idea. They used to look pretty good and that has changed. You can point to several factors, defense being the most glaring of the problems, but there is no denying the fact that the Cats are underachievers right now.

Unfortunately I spent 20+ hours in a car to confirm it.

2. The players didn’t seem all that fired up before the game.

It was somewhat of a lethargic entrance for the Wildcats as they were greeted by the home crowd’s boos.

But shout-out to that lady who was yelling Go Cats! as they slept-walked in.

Blue got in, per usual.

3. Karl-Anthony Towns’ parents are some of the nicest people on the planet.

Prior to tip-off I chatted with Big Karl Towns and his wife behind the Kentucky bench, where they were sitting for the game. Karl Sr. was rocking Timberwolves gear from head to toe and he was nice enough to spend a minute talking to this idiot blogger from Kentucky, which I appreciated.

4. Florida uses Kentucky’s old tricks with Kentucky in town.

Turning the court into a screen? That was cool when Kentucky did it. Four years ago.

5. When John Calipari is ready to leave a press conference, he leaves the press conference.

The questions were still coming in for Calipari after the game when he stood up from the table and said, “I’m tired of talking. I’m out.”

6. The O’Connell Center employees are the least helpful people you will ever meet.

If you have a question, you’d be better off asking a wall.

7. You can park anywhere you want on Florida’s campus.

I was running a little late to the game and the traffic around campus wasn’t cooperating, so I made my own parking spot in a grassy area right outside the entrance to The Swamp, only a block away from the arena. (I “sat ‘er down.”)

After the game I was 100 percent certain I would be ticketed or towed, but nope, she was right there where I left her and ready to get on the road.

Saved me about $15 in parking, too.

8. The University of Florida is really proud of Gatorade.

IMG_1259

As it should be. Gatorade has literally saved my life on many Sunday mornings. (And this morning.)

9. DJ Khaled has a twin and that twin is a Florida fan.

saldfj

Bless up.

10. Four Red Bulls and two Diet Cokes will really get your heart rate up.

Unfortunately they still weren’t enough to keep me awake for the long drive home. I had my head hanging out the window until the rain came down around Atlanta and then I decided it was time to pull over before I kill someone.

11. The Kangaroo parking lot in Cartersville, Ga. is a peaceful place to take a nap.

Because I am a human being, I needed a brief nap on the long drive home from Florida. And because I am a great employee, I saved Kentucky Sports Radio, LLC about $125 by sleeping next to my suitcase and golf clubs in the back of my SUV.

IMG_1270 IMG_1271

Hotels are for divas.

12. There are some really terrible podcasts out there.

When I wasn’t listening to Zayn and Taylor Swift’s new jam, “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever,” on repeat, I tried out some new podcasts to pass the time on the road. I’m not normally a big podcast guy so I had no idea what to listen to, but I can tell you that some of the biggest names in podcasting produce some really awful shows.

13. The ocean is really, really cold in February.

ocean

I forgot to mention that I drove to Panama City Beach before Gainesville to visit my dad and some of his friends who were vacationing. We decided to get into the water and I’m pretty sure I’m unable to have kids now.

14. White Castle lunch and Taco Bell dinner was an all-time horrible decision during the drive down.

I’ll spare you the details.

15. I have zero interest in going back to Gainesville for anything.

Aside from the fresh roadside cantaloupe I purchased along Interstate 10, which was a hot topic on the pregame show, I can’t say I enjoyed anything about the trip to Gainesville. The basketball sucked, the food at the arena sucked, Florida’s happiness sucked, the two guys who made a snide comment about me being from Kentucky sucked, the bank on campus that didn’t have any cash when I needed cash sucked, the entire state of Georgia sucked, Tennessee sucked, the whole situation sucked and I’m glad to be home.

Now let’s get some good UK basketball back in our lives please.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for 15 Things I Learned On That Stupid Trip To Gainesville

1. BG Cat
    10:19 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Good stuff Drew , enjoy the post! GO CATS

• Ridge Runner
      4:40 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Yes, excellent perspective Drew! Loved this post

2. CatAttack4eva
    3:03 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Next time, I’ll help you drive Drew!

3. 4everblue
    3:17 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Riveting…

4. Angelo
    3:53 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Rectum Rockets?!?! What were you thinking? Never had those in Madisonville….?

5. catsarerunnin
    7:38 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Sleeping in your car? Maybe it’s time to ask for a raise.

6. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    8:03 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Is there any state that is relatively worse to drive through than Georgia?

• Mathlete
      8:52 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa

• runningunnin.454
      9:55 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Try Mississippi; some classmates and I drove from Birmingham to New Orleans; it was unbearably hot and muggy, and the only other car we saw belonged to the state trooper that ticketed us for speeding. Should have told him we were just in a hurry to get out of his state.

7. CurlyCat
    8:03 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Thanks to KSR for breaking the story that Cal and Kenny Payne coming to Tampa, I went to see Kevin Knox play Friday night & ran into KAT’s parents there too. Jackie started what became a 10 minute conversation simply because she was excited I was wearing a #12 jersey. “That’s my son’s number!” She wanted MY picture to send Karl. They are truly adorable people, and so happy I got to tell her what awesome parents they were and how proud we are of KAT. Oh, and Cal was gracious as always to let me get a pic with him too.

I saw WCS’s monster jam from a seat 8 feet away 2 years ago and decided since I couldn’t top that awesome seat checked off my bucket list, I’d just skip the drive up from Tampa this year. SO glad I did. These Gator fans are obnoxious and don’t even know squat about their hoops program history.

• RealCatsFan
      10:10 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

You can often see good parents reflected in their children. KAT is yet another example of why we as a fan base should not complain about the recruits that Cal brings in, even if it is only for a year. I don’t begrudge Cal the one-and-done rule – instead, I hate the NBA for taking our kids early.

8. gadgetgirl
    8:43 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Great stuff! Once drove 18 hours back from New Orleans. Thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown when I arrived home.

9. Mathlete
    8:50 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Gainesville is the worst part of Florida, it’s basically a time stamp that says you’re at least 1.5 hours away from anywhere worth going to

10. bosshogg24
    8:59 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Why would you drink diet cokes unless you want Cancer?

11. RealCatsFan
    10:08 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Reminds me of a drive I made from Baton Rouge to Louisville when I was in college. I was down there on a cooperative internship, and I was all packed up and heading home at the end of the semester. To make a long story short, the starter motor shorted out when I was driving the car. Had to take all my stuff out of the trunk and jacked it up to make roadside repairs as it was starting to get dark. Patched it up enough to get on down the road (thank the Lord for duct tape), and fortunately it was a straight stick so I was able to push start it – by now the starter was completely dead, and all the parts stores were closed. I proceeded to drive on through the night, and every time I stopped for gas (which was often in a Camaro) I made sure to keep the engine running. By the time I hit Nashville, it was about 6 AM, and I was too exhausted to keep driving. I looked around until I found a hotel with a parking lot on a hill, and parked there so I could pop the clutch to start it in the morning. I made it! Eventually…

12. CatBlue in LR
    4:38 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Does sleeping with your clubs help your golf game?