#1 (football) recruit in the country says he wants to visit Kentucky

What if I told you the number one recruit in the country wants to visit Kentucky? You’d say, “Sure, Tyler, that’s just another Friday morning for John Calipari,” but this time around, it’s football. While recapping his visits to LSU and Georgia, 5-star defensive tackle Rashan Gary, the consensus number one player in the 2016 class, told Scout’s Brian Dohn that he wants to visit Kentucky. Seriously.

“Looking ahead, I spoke to him about what schools has he not seen but he wants to get to, the two he mentioned: Kentucky and USC,” Dohn said.

Crazy enough, according to his offer sheet — which is riddled with every major program you can think of — Kentucky hasn’t even offered Gary a scholarship, but I doubt Mark Stoops, Vince Marrow, and Jimmy Brumbaugh would mind if Gary came by for a visit. The odds he’d end up committing to Kentucky may be low, but hosting the number one recruit in the country is never bad press for an up-and-coming program like ours.

[Scout]

43 Comments for #1 (football) recruit in the country says he wants to visit Kentucky

1. asdf
    10:05 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Have the Cats ever had a visit from a # 1 national recruit before who was not an in-state kid (Couch and Johnson)?

The times they are a-changin’…

• Wasn’t Damien Harris #1, or was he just the #1 RB?

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

He was the #1 RB, but was very highly ranked nationally as well.

• asdf
      11:55 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

But Harris was also in-state (Berea). I can’t recall UK ever getting interest from this level of athlete unless he was from Kentucky.

2. Sean W.
    10:16 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Your welcome Tyler…

3. CatsBy80
    10:19 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

It is really amazing how far this program has come in just 3 years. Now I know that we still have to win games and prove it on the field, but I mean my God… Joker could barely get 2 & 3 stars to come to Kentucky… Now we’re talking about the #1 recruit in the country mentioning us as a place he’d like to visit… That is insane. I wonder if the RB from Richmond is having second thoughts about going to Alabama…

• Ben
      10:42 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Why would he? Sure, Dexter Lawrence and Gary will visit, but they aren’t going to commit here. Lawrence is going to stay close to home and Gary is going to Michigan or Auburn. Plus, Bama has better players and will be better during Damien’s 3-4 years than UK will.

• CatsBy80
      10:50 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

simply because if he came to UK, he would be “the man”. and based off his recruitment and the antics involved in said recruitment, it would seem that he wants to be “the man”. he will be in constant competition at Bama for 15 snaps a game, which isn’t a bad thing; but, a 5 star running back at UK would almost certainly be given the ball 20-30 times a game…

that’s why.

• Mary
      11:14 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

I have wondered the same about a Richmond RB…interesting comment by him on twitter when at the airport to come back to Ky for a visit…when a man asked where he was going…said KY…the comment was there is you should’ve gone in first place. Yes, probably a KY fan, but still, makes you wonder especially with what 2016 commits coming.

• CatsBy80
      11:18 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Exactly, Mary. That’s all I meant is that it makes you wonder… Especially with these commits giving UK some attention. I’m not saying Harris made a mistake by going to Alabama. I mean they’re in the top 5 every single year… But, it would’ve been pretty cool if he would’ve stuck around and helped build this thing up. Nonetheless, I wish him nothing but the best and hope he has a long and prosperous career.

• Dude
      11:26 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

I heard at Red, White and Boom that DH didn’t have a glowing response when asked about UK.

“Man, [email protected]#$ UK”

• If he had come to UK it could have only been good to help us sew up some of these guys. However, I said it before and I’ll say it again: I want those who want to be at UK, and Boom & co. will be just fine IMO.

• asdf
      11:56 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

We may not get this kid or the next five similar kids…but if you fish in the right waters long enough you’ll finally catch a “biggin”.

• Jared
      1:16 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

Man, what hypocrites. We ask 5-star basketball players to “not take the easy way out” and play for their inferior home state’s program to play for us. Yet we complain when stars want to play for the best program in the country over the last 6-7 years?

4. fatbrat
    10:19 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

It just goes to show you that Vince Marrow is worth every penny he makes. It may come as a shock that Marrow is not considered in the discussion as a top 20 recruiter. I think that this shows (#1 recruit may visit) how underrated Marrow and this whole staff is and where this program is going.

• android guy
      10:29 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

And it’s not just the Ohio connection either. Gary is out of New Jersey.

• Dangers
      11:01 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

I think that Korem and his new athletic facility are huge assets too. Seeing that NFL players are coming back to lowly old Kentucky when they could be going to the other trainers that players generally use is a pretty big deal. Or at least I think it is. Regardless, word of Korem’s methods is getting around it seems.

5. greginky
    10:20 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

I hope Jedrick Wills is taking notice

6. KevinM
    10:34 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Surprising that the top guy in the country is a DT also.

After what MTT posted about our program and our facility, and with this site promoting UK, I understand how Stoops/Marrow are bringing in kids and they see what we’re doing to build the program.

This could be a very special year here, and I know everyone is careful to get too excited, but things are sounding so good.

7. UKfanNKY
    10:49 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

WOW!!!!!! We’ll take him! Totally un-heard off 4yrs. ago! Look out CAT FANS and BBN shit is about to get real!!! KENTUCKY FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. BigO
    10:52 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

This is somewhat surreal the buzz going on right now with recruits. Facilities upgrades along with coaching staff have to be making a major impact. A school like Ole Miss several years ago started making these kind of in roads with football recruiting with less facility resources than UK but with a richer football tradition so anything is possible. “Build it and they will come…..”

The key is this fall…..recruits need to see progress on the field. We may still get 5 wins but can’t have any collapses like at LSU and UT from last year….progress will keep this thing going.

9. meme
    10:55 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Lock this coaching staff up contractually for a few more years and we will have a football program again!!!! Pay these guys well and might want to throw in a few ponies to boot. We finally have some winners for a coaching staff!!!! But, with success comes the other institutions that are having down years and are looking to replace coaching staffs. Pay them well Mitch!!!! I’m glad to be excited about football again as I remember the teams of the 70’s when we use to kick everyone’s butts. What once was shall be again !!!

• Tampa satchel
      6:26 am August 1, 2015 Permalink

They already got the “recruiting champ raises.” They’ll get another when the are bowl eligible.

10. This is truly unreal. I think I’m in the twilight zone. Is this REALLY *UK* football recruiting we’re talking about? Am I about to wake up?

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!

MARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

11. Hammer
    11:22 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

What you homers are saying is that you all are happy you were so WRONG about UK not being able to recruit any players here due to our poor recruiting base and lack of history. You also are wrong about paying Stoops 3 million/yr when we could have gotten a real coach for that money that could actually win games with the talent he gets! Lash out all you wish…the facts hurt

• Dude
      11:28 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Well, looks like cats paw is back, with a new name. Great.

• J-Dub421
      11:43 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Go back to the card chronicle.

• CPACAT
      11:50 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Punctuation is your friend, do not be afraid of using it!

• Dangers
      12:08 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

What better coaches were available? And if you say Petrino, I’m just going to go ahead and tell you that you’re wrong.

12. Yup, or his little bro.

• Wouldn't hire him
      7:03 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

Petrino begged for the job. The only positive about hiring him would be to go to UL and beat them and hear him talking about how much he hates them. But not worth the ridicule or the lowering of our standards to take him. We did much better.

13. fatbrat
    11:31 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Anyone think that Drake Jackson might have put a bug in the ear of some top prospects while at the Opening Camp in Oregon?

14. Twister
    11:46 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

2016 class will be the best in thirty years

15. woohop1
    11:56 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

Observation on 247 bias that hurts UK:

This was posted on the Florida board by your fellow employee Luke Stampini: “Hahaha…Everyone posted what I was coming to post. I’m willing to add UK fans to those that hate me for speaking my mind and say, I doubt he ultimately sticks if he’s legit and the SEC powers start making him a priority.” This post was obviously in reference to Eskridge commiting to UK.

Normally, if this was an opposing fan, I wouldn’t have a problem with this, but first of all, doesn’t this guy have his hand in the rating/ranking of players? If so, there is little doubt in my mind if this is the type of guys running the show that this is why UK commits are taking ratings hits just for commiting to us.

Also, this is just flat out unprofessional and ridiculous that he would run to a Florida board and post something like that. He obviously lacks the balls to say that here, and shouldn’t 247 be above keeping people like this on their payroll? This is why I will not contribute to this site monetarily, as there is no professionalism (not talking about you guys, obviously) and it’s obvious that the site is run by a bunch of frat boys with huge biases. Completely ridiculous, and how are we suppose to sit here and think that the rating/ranking process is done objectively when people like this guy are in control? This is just another example of how compromised this whole process is. Not to be a dick, but you just wouldn’t see something like this from the Rivals higher ups.

• asdf
      11:59 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

KSR prides itself in its ridiculousness, but they’ve become a respected media source in recent years. Why? Not because they reformed, but because the rest of media came down to their level. There is no such thing as professionalism in journalism anymore.

• J-Dub421
      1:58 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

All people have biases, journalists included. At least on KSR they admit to their UK bias. I wish other journalists would just admit to their biases. It would make everything simpler.

16. Edward
    12:54 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

The recruiting accomplishments this week of Coach Stoops and UK staff are totally awesome . This HC is changing the culture that “it can’t happen here, it will never happen here”. Some of us have waited for 50 years to see this kind of development at Kentucky. It also helps that this time we have a roundball HC that is not threatened by the emergence of a football power. The WINS are coming BBN. Thank you Mark Stoops in advance for the coming seasons’ success. GO BIG BLUE! ’til the Battle is Won”
    Class of 1969

17. GoBlue
    3:10 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

He’s going to Michigan. ✌🏼️

18. Elsie Enn
    4:08 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

Where there is smoke, there are smokers; or the carrying wind….but fire is near.

19. John
    4:58 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

With as many elite football players as Stoops has already brought in, it seems like you clowns at KSR would stop being surprised by Kentucky recruiting at the highest level..give me a break..and good god, please stop tying every little thing back into basketball, it’s embarrassing, seriously..coming from a football guy I’m telling you to stop mentioning basketball in a football article, because Kentucky is working their ass off to get rid of that label of a basketball school, and all you’re doing is hurting the program