Pump your brakes, Western

wku-hallow

I’ve always felt pressure to root for the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers and frankly I don’t like it.

And this is not knee-jerk bitterness from last year’s home opener, oh no. I’ve been noticing some disturbing patterns from the Hilltopper alumni/apologists and proud Kentuckians alike these past few years.

Here’s how the conversation typically goes:

“But when they’re NOT playing UK, you root for Western, RIGHT?…”

I mean, maybe? Sure, I’d be thrilled if they knocked off a hated power program like North Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio St, etc.,  just as I would any school, but I really don’t care what they’re doing week to week or how they finish in the Sun Belt.

“What’s good for Western is good for the state. It’s great exposure.”

Are you employed by the WKU Athletic Department? No? I’m sure the folks at Morehead are just bathing in windfall from UK’s and Louisville’s National Championships.

“I want UK to win, but I want Western to put up a good fight and make it close.”

How about UK just forfeit out of respect? Was last season close enough for ya? You know what I want to see? 100-0.

“I hate seeing UK lose but at least it was to our Commonwealth Bros in Bowling Green.  Good for them.“

I’ve actually heard this numerous times and I spit on it.

Western is a big boy now. Got himself a big boy football coach. He doesn’t need the Big Blue crutch and sympathy cards. You want to be in the big leagues directional school done good, you stand on your own. No allies out here, Big Red Blob.

Western-Kentucky-University

Look at that thing. Fornicating Commonwealth Stadium is where I draw the line. We used to look at Big Red as a quirky and endearing piece of Americana, but now he’s just downright condescending, not to mention morbidly obese.

Look, Flag Wavin Western Fan, I’m not dumping on the school. It’s a fine school growing at a fast pace, and that really is good for the state. Bowling Green itself is a pretty cool dude, too. But as for the Hilltoppers, sorry, just not that into you, and in fact, I think it’s time to slow that roll just a bit.

Because I see a pattern developing here. I can feel it, smell it, and the stench is all too familiar.

A growing university in the shadow of Lexington. Nurtured at the teet of Flagship U, well liked but certainly never feared and always invited to the dinner table. Propelled by basketball, working up through the ranks and into Conference USA, feeling pretty good about itself, all that red….

Can you see what’s building here?

BBN, we’ve got a little little brother in the oven. An “accident” if you will. And it’s tough having two little brothers especially when the little one we have now is exhausting and I for one don’t have the energy nor patience to deal with another.

I’m not painting Flag Wavin Western Fan and Louisville Fan with the same brush. Yet. It would take decades of extraordinary bandwagoning, complete lack of self-awareness and top-down self-righteousness to carve such a cantankerous canyon. I know there’s a healthy population of UK die-hards with Western degrees. But I also remember a time when many UK fans, at least those outside of JeffCo., harbored no real hatred towards UofL because they rarely had to think about UofL (ask your dads, tweens). That slope gets slippery, in a hurry.

Did I mention that Bowling Green is home to probably the second highest concentration of Cards fans on the planet?

Heed this warning, Hilltoppers. Heed it.

Article written by John Dubya

The Twitter: @Johnawilk

82 Comments for Pump your brakes, Western

1. Dacci
    1:55 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Well said sir. I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way.

2. JRHop
    1:59 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Bravo, good sir.

3. Ditto
    1:59 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Very well written my friend. And yes I totally agree I smell that smelly smell coming from Bowling Green and I really hate it. Uofhell is already annoying as F$&^. Can’t wait till the next wku fan ask me to root for them… F NO!! Say it with me BBN…FTC & FTHT!

4. gulfbreezecatfat
    2:01 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Nailed It !

5. JRHop
    2:04 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m with you #3!

Feed the children & Fix the helpless toys!

6. Tanks fer Nuttin
    2:04 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Did Big Red pee in your cheerios this morning? Geesh, chill out dude.

7. Lil Bro
    2:05 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

We wave our RED TOWEL, not a flag. GO TOPS!

8. TouchdownTommy
    2:05 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m a fan of both, and like it or not I hope UK wins but WKU keeps it close. Suck on that.

9. Rockfield, KY
    2:05 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I grew up a die-hard UK fan, but attended WKU because I had to pay for my own school, and at the time WKU was much cheaper and gave out much more scholarship money. Now, most of my friends from the school tell me that I have to cheer for WKU when they play UK. I’ve actually tried before, but can’t force myself to actually get excited about it. I was furious last year when they won. What am I supposed to do? It’s driven me crazy for years. I’ll back my WKU education against any UK grad, but I can’t help but cheer for UK.

10. BigApple
    2:10 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I live in Bowling Green,WKU fans will root for the dirty birds before they will root for the wildcats!

11. WKU Grad
    2:10 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I have to strongly disagree. The vast majority of Western students and the surrounding West KY area are still die hard big blue fans. I really don’t see why you are so upset with Big Red and their recent success. I didn’t see you trash talking about Murray State when they had success. I really think it is great we create our own “tobacco road” in Kentucky. It takes more than one good team in the state to achieve that.

12. bobby p
    2:13 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

TOPS going for back to back baby!!! Stoops era starts 0-1.

13. BigApple
    2:15 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know about all of western ky,but in Bowling Green,the WKU fans I meet don,t like UK.

14. Marc
    2:16 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

WKU grad here, Lexington born, and will bleed blue til the day I die. I will wholeheartedly stand next to my Cats, but I have a real hard time with you comparing WKU to UL. They are none in the same. WKU waves red towels, look up the tradition from E. A. Diddle before you make ignorant comments. I will say that I rooted for WKU last year, it was time to see Joker go and a good opportunity for WKU to grow. That being said, I hate Bobby Petrino and with UK’s current state with Stoops I will for sure be rooting for the up rise of UK football again.

15. Bowling Green's Hot Rod
    2:16 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

“Did I mention that Bowling Green is home to probably the second highest concentration of Cards fans on the planet”. You obviously don’t live here. There are very few Louisville fans here. There are probably more UT fans here than UL fans. If I had to guess, I’d say of the 3 state Div. one schools, it’s about 45% UK, 45% WKU, and maybe 10%, if that, for UL. And most of the people I know like both UK and WKU.

16. Rockfield, KY
    2:17 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m from Bowling Green, and lived there until January 2012. There are a lot of UK and WKU fans there. The problem is like The Intern stated earlier, they’re starting to develop a case of little brother syndrome because they’re getting a lot better in all sports. But for a town with a D1 college, there are a ton of UK fans, even ones that attended WKU.

17. UKBlue
    2:24 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

The only reason someone would attend Western is you couldn’t get into UK, UL, UT or Vandy. There is absolutely nothing to do in Bowling Green !! WKU is beyond irrelevant !!

18. DH
    2:25 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I only root for teams not named UK if they are underdogs. And I don’t mean underdogs for a certain game, I mean they are an underdog school. As Dubya said, Western is beyond that status now. It didn’t help that every ul fan became a wku fan after the football game last year, either. All that said, I’d love to see more posts from Dubya. I really like his writing style.

19. Buzz Baker
    2:27 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

17) All 3 of your points are not just incorrect, they’re just plain ignorant.

20. COLOTOPCAT
    2:27 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Ha! I’m a fan of both, went to school at both, and played football at both. I root for WKU when they play UK. Although I follow the Cats a lot more. I love the negativity toward WKU! It means they are on the scene. Petrino is quietly getting recruits and running through the sororities. T-O-P-S…Cats Cats Cats.

21. Big Blue Fan surrounded by red
    2:29 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

First off I need to validate my opinion on this. I was born, raised, and still live in Bowling Green. I have a bachelor’s degree from WKU and a master’s degree from UK. I am a lifelong diehard UK fan. I have a job that requires me to drive all over the state, from Murray to Morehead and Franklin to Covington. This article is near perfect. Outside of the Louisville area you will not find a community in the state with more UL fans or more UK haters. WKU fan’s hatred of UK as reached new heights with the NCAA tournament game in 2012 and the football game this past fall. I don’t know if the majority of WKU fans consider themselves haters of big blue but I would argue that it is a significant percentage of them. Even the local newspaper The Daily News does a very poor job of hiding its anti UK bias. UK stories are usually stuck on the back page of the sports section. Great Article! Go Cats!

22. DH
    2:30 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I have had fun in Bowling Green in the past. A lot of fun, actually. But there’s a reason even the people that live there call it Boring Green. But to say that wku is irrelevant or to insinuate that it’s a bad school is silly

23. randomer
    2:35 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

hilarious post – Western is definitely a new (unplanned) little brother.

24. UKBlue
    2:35 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Then Buzz Baker: since I’m so called ignorant, please tell me why anyone in the world would attend WKU if they could go somewhere better? What & where are all these so called things to do in Bowling Green? Since you aren’t irreverent, what has WKU ever done that anyone can remember or even cares about?

25. Cats
    2:44 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Great… Pretty soon we’re going to consider WKU a rival just like we do to Louisville when we shouldn’t

26. bobby p
    2:49 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

They supposed to be SEC??? See you in Nashville Blue smurfs

27. fatcat
    2:52 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

@15 I agree! i live in BG also and i only know a handfull of UL fans here.

28. Cats
    2:53 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I hope we start doing well in football so we can start talking trash to bigger and better fish as opposed to the little brothers

29. whysoserious
    2:54 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Release
    The
    Petrino….

30. random wku fan
    2:56 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

28-Im a WKU fan but how is UL your little brother in football. They are 11-8 since your seris began in the 1990s and they are willing to play week one. UK pushed the game back to week 3. You are in denial.

31. Cats
    3:00 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

30- Once again, once we start doing well. UK is the only school this state cares about and the fact that we acknowledged Louisville is the reason their athletics program rose. Why do you not see Ohio State playing Cincinnati? Their worried about bigger things

32. Cats
    3:01 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

*They’re

33. DB11
    3:14 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I hate WKU. Point blank period. Nothing good has ever come from that school.

34. BlueBloodedTopper
    3:26 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

24) I currently attend WKU but also got into UK, and I know very many people who are in the same boat as me. There are a ton of positives about WKU academically as well as opportunity-wise. I would say you are very ignorant to make the assumption that the only reason people go here is because they couldn’t get into UK.
    Anyway, I have noticed in my two years here that very many people do hate on UK. I am a die hard uk fan and can’t cheer against my cats, and I get so much hell about it from other students, even though i do root for WKU against anyone else. A lot of people root against UK always, and it is similar to how Louisville fans are but just in that respect. I would also say I know a lot more UofL fans than UK, but this is just western students and not the general population. I think people here hate on UK because in the past, so many students rooted for UK over wku. That is not the case now, but people, even professors, still make comments about it. People just want students here to be fans and so hate on the school that had more fans for so long.

35. Penn
    3:26 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I see WKU as more a big brother/little brother situation with Louisville. Look, That jersey that girl is wearing is an obvious rip-off of the UL jerseys.

36. CatsFan12
    3:34 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Random WKU fan- UK actually leads the all time series in football 14-11. We have played Louisville since 1912. Please get your facts right before you come to our website. Stay on your own website… O, wait you probably don’t have one. Go CATS.

37. Josh
    3:35 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

@17 You’re just wrong. I got accepted into UK, UL and WKU. All 3 honors programs as well.All offered me money but WKU is literally giving me $40,000 more than UK. What am I supposed to do? I’m a UK superfan but why would I take out 40k in student loans at UK when WKU is handing it to me? Now I don’t have to work during the school year at all. Not to mention WKU’s honors college is far more extensive than at any other university in the state. I’ll still love UK. I’ll root for them in Nashville. But there is no reason to hate on WKU. It’s an up and coming university, and I’m happy to get a degree here.

38. Bunch of posers
    3:39 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

UK fans that cheer for both teams – AT THE ACTUAL ATHLETIC EVENT – need to be removed from CWS with UK fan pass revoked. I saw so many “UK fans” doing this last year it pissed me off.

39. jake blue
    3:44 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

This whole argument is just ridiculous.

40. ThatGuy
    3:46 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

24. ukbluefan you obviously do not understand that some people actually go to school for academics. The journalism dept is top 5 in the nation every single year. The forensics team has multiple world titles in the last few years. The education dept isn’t controlled by morons. The best highschool in the nation is ran by WKU staff and is on campus. Some people actually enjoy smaller classrooms and the smaller town fill. You’ll counter that it doesn’t have a med school or law school. So? It isn’t a research university. I had options to go to Vandy, UK and Brown. I chose WKU because I felt welcome there. Unlike UK where I was treated like a number wandering aimlessly around that ugly campus. THAT’S why people go to WKU.

41. Marc
    3:52 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

17) youre an idiot. I got into many schools, including UK. I chose WKU for a multitude of reasons. I wanted to major in Mechanical Engineering and play soccer (not at a small school like transy or centre, both of which I had offers from), I didn’t want UK because more than half of my graduating high school class went to UK, whats the fun in following all the same people? I like traveling and meeting new people. It was far enough from home but still a close drive. And I like the campus.

42. jake the snake
    3:54 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

17) What is your perspective dude? Where do you live? Does BG have as much as Nashville? Of course not, but it’s a lot safer here and Nashville is less than an hour away. I live in BG and, just for example in my boring life, in the past year have attended WKU football and basketball games, attended Hot Rod’s minor league baseball games, toured caves here and within 30 miles away, attended thoroughbred horse races 20 miles down the road at Dueling Grounds, went to the only amusement park in Kentucky that I know of – Beech Bend, went to Holley National Hot Rod reunion (this week). I love Lexington too, but what do they have that Bowling Green doesn’t, besides UK and more bars?

43. Great Read
    4:01 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m a WKU fan through and through but I enjoy reading KSR because let’s be honest, it’s wayyyy better than work! And when I say I’m a WKU fan through and through, I mean I don’t like UL or UK at all. Sorry BBN or L1C4 but you didn’t get any support from me during the past 2 NCAA tourneys. I was busy being pissed of that my beloved Tops blew their chance at being the first 16 to knock off a 1. And I don’t mean that comment in a hateful way, because I know you don’t need my fan support, you have plenty of your own. In the end, as a WKU fan I am excited to see how far our progam has come in the last 5-10 years. I know that one day the school will have just as big a program as UK and UL (as mentioned in this article we are already approaching that point whether you want to admit it or not) and rise above the Morehead and EKU size programs. You may see it as somewhat “annoying” for the state to transform from 2 big programs to 3 but I think it will lead to a lot of fun rivalries in the future. I mean how awesome does the state of Florida have to be whenever UF, Fl. St. and Miami are all competitive during the same season.

44. Just Stop
    4:03 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

This post is just ridiculous, as is most of this website. There is a reason UK’s fanbase is the most hated in the country — you guys have a bad case of big ego’s. I got accepted to UK, WKU, UL, Morehead, etc., and chose WKU because of their honors program (which is a seperate college). The Honors College here is the most selective school(other than Centre) in the state of Kentucky, and a Honors diploma will look much more impressive to an employer than one from UK which is one of the worst academic flagship schools in the south.

If you root for UK but went to school somewhere else, you’re a bandwagon fan and don’t deserve to associate yourself with any university. It’s the same as Heat fans. Everyone hates Heat fans because everyone wants to jump onto their bandwagon when they have no connections to Miami whatsoever. It’s the same for UK. Your fan base is the most hated in the country for a reason — most of you are and were never a Wildcat.

Last thing that makes me livid about this post and about the comments here in general: the “Big Brother” thing that UK claims. WKU has a larger student population than UK after 2014. They passed UofL a couple years ago, and will be dead even with UK this coming fall. After that, WKU will have more students. The amount of people choosing to go to WKU each year has been more than the amount of people choosing to go to UK for a couple years now, and I cannot wait to see what the ration is for 2014-2015 (Hint: UK will be the second largest school in the state. Fact.)

Have a great day.

45. Fake a$$ fans
    4:06 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

#39 (BOP). You are so right, that pisses me off so bad. If you are gonna root for 2 schools playing eachother go ahead and hand your UK fan pass over. F$&@ a fake fan. We’re UK we don’t need you!!

46. UK vs. WKU?
    4:12 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

WKU went to the NCAA tournament last year, almost beating #1 Kansas. UK went to the NIT and lost first round to Robbert Morris.
    WKU beat UK in football at CWS, went to a bowl game, and hired a better head coach.
    WKU has beat UK 5 out of the last 6 times in baseball.

There’s the three major sports, and WKU took the cake in all three last year. UofL did 10x better than we did compared UK also. So, who are the two “little brothers” here? UK placed third in athletics in the state of Kentucky in 2012-2013, and then have the balls to make a post like this. Get off your high horse, UK isn’t what it once was, and neither is WKU or UofL.

47. DH
    4:22 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

47) I’m all about being proud of your school/team, but that was ONE year of success against UK. ONE YEAR. Get over your inferiority complex

48. GoTops
    4:34 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Yes, we are sooooo jealous!! Grow up. Don’t mistake disgust for “little brother syndrome”.

49. AnyonebutBBN
    4:41 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Don’t worry, we hate WKU students who cheer for UK just as much. Especially when they wear blue on campus only to get beaten in all sports. Ouch. 5 of 6 in baseball? Lost at home in football? Yikes. UK is an average overall sports school, with tradition ONLY in basketball. Just talk only during that season, unless you don’t make the tournament. Then, don’t talk at all.

50. DH
    4:43 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Not sure what else you’d have to be disgusted about…

51. IdonthateUK
    4:51 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

UK is only good at basketball and sucks at everything else. Never amounts to anything in football, has an overall under .500 record. Baseball is sorta relevant… but not really in all of college baseball and the SEC. Just because UK, has been dominant in basketball, does not mean that everyone loves UK and that UK destroys everyone in every other sport…Sit down BBN and let the cards fall where they may.

52. HP
    5:05 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Bitter much? Try being a journalist next time and not a whiny 16 year old jealous girl. And “slow your roll?” Are you asking WKU fans to not be excited for their school? Are you asking WKU athletics to take a step back so YOUR beloved UK can regain its dignity? As I recall, no where does it say that UK is to be #1 in EVERYTHING. Yes, it is something every university aspires, but you cannot degrade other schools based on your biased opinion and call it factual. A true sports analyst or journalist would report the facts, not remarks that come out of paranoia that other Commonwealth schools have made a name for themselves. It is not a flub, it is not luck…it is that other schools are successfully hiring the right coaches and staff, as well as recruiting smarter, more athletic players. Focus on YOUR school and hyping up YOUR fans. If WKU beats UK this August, I hope you look back on what you wrote. If you wish to write such articles, create a gossip blog or burn book like from “Mean Girls,” because Man, you are acting like Regina George. I suggest you go to a therapist because you just have an ongoing list of negative, petty things that really bother you…

53. Jessie
    5:35 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Big Red is not obese, he’s just big boned.

54. Plainclothes Man
    5:40 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

#20 has to be Ryan Wallace. haha.

55. BigBlue
    5:45 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Who gives a crap about Western?

56. Steve
    6:02 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

The hatred you talk about comes from IDIOTS like you. I’ve never liked UK, because of overzealous fans like my college roommate and you. You always clamor to basketball as your saving grace and act like no other sport matters. Sorry, but we are pretty good at other sports, football as you’ve seen, volleyball, softball, baseball, swimming is legendary. So keep spewing the hate and keep crying about officiating when you lose. At least we have a class and bravado. Of we also made the NCAA basketball tournament this year. At least WE and Louisville represented The stat well.

57. WKU Fan
    6:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

We won a game against UK in football once. Guys, that totally means we will win all the football games against UK going forward. I learned this rationale from Louisville fans.

58. WKU Fan
    6:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, tell ’em, Steve. We represented the stat well. The whole stat. Like, people wondered about the stat and they looked at Louisville and Western Kentucky and said “Wow, that is one nice stat.”

59. PrisonMike
    6:59 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I’d like to hear JWellsFOX weigh in on the matter. He’s always informed and unbiased.

60. Sherman
    7:29 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Regina George is actually my mom, but I hate to fetch.

61. Travis
    7:59 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

This article is a joke and proves while a lot of uk fans are intolerable. If uk only won one game next and that was against Louisville, it would still be considered a good season. Saying WKU needs to pump their breaks, are you kidding me? I must have missed the unwritten law that says only uk can do good. You should feel disgraced if WKU beats you, not because you lost to a team that is too big for its britches but because you lost plain and simple. Don’t get mad at others teams just because they are improving, get mad at yourself for losing and stop feeling entitled to everything.

62. jerry
    8:08 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget,WKU took your blue baseball team down twice this year as well. Maybe the cats are becoming the kitty cats.Go Tops

63. Travis
    8:18 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

That not while*

64. Rita
    9:14 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I think some of you on here are a bunch of ASSHOLES!!! I’m a HILLTOPPER Fan. Always have been, always will be.

65. Your lost
    9:25 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

65. If you a butt topper fan and always will be the WTF are you on a UK site. Get the F$&@ out no one cares. GO CATS!

66. Your lost
    9:33 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Same goes for the rest if you toppers. If you all aren’t worried about UK and think you are equal to us in any way shape or form then why the F are you on a UK!!!!! Sports site in the comments section??!!! Sure seems like a ul little brother thing to me. I’m a proud UK fan and have NEVER!!!! EVER IN MY LIFE been on another teams fan site! Why you ask? Because I couldn’t give a Fu(k less what you UK TROLLS have to say. So… Lick the bottom of our boots or GTFO!!!

67. There Ya Go
    10:31 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Prime example of a UK fan right there #66 and #67. Take notes, BBN. This is why the rest of the country hates you.

68. Your welcome
    11:13 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

68. Yup has nothing to do with other schools fans coming on here to rant and justify things on a UK!!!!!! Blog. Ever stop to look in the mirror and see if its other fans that entitle us to that kind of attitude?

69. Hilltopper
    11:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

The fact that you wrote this proves that you are troubled by the rising HILLTOPPERS.

70. GEE Wise
    11:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

17) You put Vandy and UK in the same sentence. Wow, remember Charlie Gee’s comments? He went from Vandy to Ohio St and still put down the SEC because he knows in the SEC the only about sports.

71. Your lost
    11:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

68. Ask me if I give a flying F what anyone else in the country thinks. I’m not a fan of a school so I can make sure everyone is ok with it and no ones feelings are hurt. Sorry I chose to be a passionate fan and not a bandwagon wku fan because they won 1 F’n game or a ul fan that has to constantly seek attention and approval from other schools fans, especially after winning a NC!!! You all will ALWAYS be little bro for a reason and the wku fans comments on a UK!!! Fan site are why!!!

72. LaRue
    11:25 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

UK fan here, but this is really not a good look for us. Let Western enjoy their success. We’d be doing the same thing. Telling fan bases when they can or cannot celebrate seems to feed into the “holier than thou” reputation we’ve attained. I’m embarrassed by this post.

73. Charlie Gee
    11:38 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

72) I agree that I could care less what a UK fan thinks of WKU. What’s funny is that you have a blogger that it does bother so he wrote an article about it. Carry on not caring.

74. Eric Evans
    1:04 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

I like both teams.WKU was actually a legit team last year and they didn’t lose much.If UK wins this game it means Stoops is a legend and Petrino is not a better coach than Willie Taggart. Its that simple.

75. Jonathan
    8:12 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

As someone who has attended WKU and rooted for them as a student, I must say you lack serious journalistic credibility with this article, and pretty much any article you’ve written with the same sort of tone and spin. I myself have a minor in broadcasting, and this article is spun harder than an episode of The O’Reilly Factor. Perhaps you should attend WKU’s School of Journalism and re-learn some basics of good journalism.

So…come August…TOPS BY 90!!!

76. Jonathan
    8:19 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Oh, and as an addendum to my post, it’s hard to call “Loserville” Little Brother now that they have owned you in pretty much every sport there is in the past several months. Sugar Bowl, NCAA Title in Men’s Basketball, NCAA Runners-Up in Women’s Basketball, and most recently a trip to The CWS in baseball…just to name a few. And you and a whole host of your fellow fans have handled it with the grace of a three-year-old whose just been denied ice cream because he wouldn’t finish his vegetables. Well done!

77. SamWKU915
    12:27 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

GO TOPS!!!! We will settle it on the field.

78. OSUfan
    11:52 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

As a person that grew up in Ohio I have heard this whole song and dance before. Let’s face the facts here. The only sports Kentucky is good at recently is basketball and cheer leading. People in Kentucky act as if basketball is the only sport, I have rooted for UK since I was a little kid. Now a days I am a fan of any Kentucky school. I am currently a student at WKU. And while we are doing good right now, we have a ways to go. My major complaint with your “intern” insights is that they stink of fear and pretentious behavior. Unfortunately, a lot of UK fans go way past spirit and fan-dom and go straight to being obnoxious towards others. Whether it’s UK, UL, WKU, EKU, Murray State or any other school, at the end of the day we are citizens of the best and most beautiful state in the US.

As for your misguided intern, embrace your fear, it makes you stronger. Win or lose.

GO TOPS!

79. embarrassed journalist
    1:53 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

wow…just wow. This is not just extremely poorly written, but is sadly pathetic. I know several UK fans, some are not so bad, some are intolerable. But people like this give your school a bad rep. I would be absolutely embarrassed if a topper blogger wrote this garbage.

I am so glad a uk friend told me to check this out, because the entertainment value is priceless. I mean you simply reek of fear, actually terror. Two years ago in Nashville WKU was obviously the more athletic team, we just could not get the breaks. Last season we went into a decently packed Commondump, and athletically beat the crap out of uK. WT’s coaching strategy kept you in the game.

This season your impressive recruiting class will not do crap to help you out. I know uk fans are still trying to figure out this funny looking ball, so let me explain something. This is not like basketball, you do not bring in a bunch of freshman, then ship them to the nfl next season. Generally you will red shirt these guys or use them in a very LIMITED role. I cannot wait for the shellshock when you go 2-10 instead of 10-2 next season. T-O-P-S T-O-P-S T-O-P-S TOPS TOPS TOPS!!!

Oh yeah I am sure someone here knows, when ill bball season start? [/sarcasm]

80. bank rate
    8:40 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

So sad to see UK fans having to write this. Enjoy being #3 in the state. at least you can still play EKU and Murray.

81. Rita
    4:04 pm June 16, 2013 Permalink

Your Lost can go straight to HELL!!!!!

82. WKU over UK
    6:18 pm June 16, 2013 Permalink

John that is what I expected from an ananist like you