Xavier Peters asks NCAA for immediate eligibility

Xavier Peters hopes the NCAA will grant him immediate eligibility at Kentucky next season. The former Florida State linebacker will apply for a hardship waiver, explaining the need to be closer to his young son as his reason for transferring to Kentucky. Peters is from West Chester, Ohio, just outside of Cincinnati.

He took to Twitter on Thursday to say, “I hope the @NCAAFootball respect my decision by coming home to take care of my son the right way. I needed to play closer to home so I can show him how much love him & how much I missed him. It’s a dream come true to be playing in front of my son.” (@XavierPeters22)

The tweet was a response to a story written by Larry Vaught, in which Vince Marrow is quoted as saying, “If I was at the NCAA and a guy really wants to be a father, especially speaking as an African-American man, I would like to see him get that opportunity. Obviously we would like to have him but mainly I would like to see him get it (the waiver) being a young African-American father who wants to be around his kid.”

Peters appeared in only two games as a true freshman in Florida State last season, which should help his case.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Xavier Peters asks NCAA for immediate eligibility

1. RackEmWillie
    1:19 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

If the guy who transferred from Ohio State to Miami after appearing in 8 games, is granted immediate eligibility, then Peters definitely should be.

2. UKCatAttack
    2:53 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

I’m pretty sure he already had a son when he chose FSU in the first place. With that being said I hope they clear him but I’m not holding my breath.

• CatfaninCinci
      5:19 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

What’s the old saying? Absence makes the heart grow fonder…

3. jlkirk
    4:16 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

What were the grounds/reason(s) the guy from Ohio State who transferred to Miami gave the NCAA?

4. Smyrna_Cat
    4:25 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

From the NCAA, I just ask them to be fair and consistent.

Snort!! (UNC says hey!)

• runningunnin.454
      4:49 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

And, the NCAA says “Hey right back at you, my fair haired, baby blue $hitheels.

5. runningunnin.454
    4:40 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

Consensus seems to be…NCAA sucks; and I can’t argue with that.

6. CatfaninCinci
    4:47 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

Bingo

7. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    5:02 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

Marrow just meant the stigma around African-Americans is they don’t stick around as fathers, not that it was true, and was simply pointing out how Peters is showing an example of how that isn’t the case especially being a father himself. He also said it in a way that makes it clear he wishes any person who transfers for parental reasons should be granted eligibility but that we should take positive role models where we can find them.

• lex cath
      7:25 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

I suppose my question was deleted out of PC ? Crazy

8. runningunnin.454
    6:02 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

Wow, some comments went, poof, Gone With The Wind.

• CatfaninCinci
      7:06 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

Yeah the only one I saw go overboard really was the o e that called all Trump voters racist.

9. makeitstop
    8:10 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

Hardship is technically taking care of a sick relative apparently but they’ve granted it for things like ur School isn’t bowl eligible so who the F knows. If they apply a family leave type standard he’s good. If it’s good enough for the feds it should be good enough for the NCAA but good luck making sense of how they rule. Convinced they have a Wheel of Fortune spinner in their exec board room.

• makeitstop
      8:12 pm May 23, 2019 Permalink

Like “ohhhh u landed on hookers, I’m sorry that’s gonna cost u a banner!” Roy, ur spin… “Hey u landed on “look the other way” so u get to keep spinning….

10. Wildcat homer