Would Kentucky fans be back on board with back to back wins?

IMG_4052

This Saturday, Kentucky takes on New Mexico State at home, and I’m not sure if they’ve ever been more in need of a cupcake game to ease some of the pain of the past two weeks.

Many fans have already thrown in the towel on the season, calling for Stoops’ resignation or firing, and pledging to not show up at Commonwealth for the remainder of the year as a method of venting their frustrations to administration, Mitch Barnhart in particular. As bad as it’s been thus far, however, I think it’d be best to give it another two weeks before jumping ship completely.

As bad as Kentucky football is right now, New Mexico State is (somehow) worse. NMSU is 7-29 over the past three seasons, and they don’t seem to be getting better anytime soon. They managed to pull off an upset on Saturday against in-state rival New Mexico, but the Aggies are rated as one of the worst teams in college football, haven’t been ranked or in a bowl since 1960, and as Freddie stated in his Jimmies and Joes post this morning, have absolutely no position advantages over Kentucky.

Their star running back Larry Rose, who has accounted for 2753 yards and 23 touchdowns on the ground in two seasons for the Aggies, has been listed as “very doubtful” for Saturday by NMSU coach Doug Martin. Aside from Rose, the Aggies really don’t have any legitimate threats to cause concern. It will take a catastrophe for the Cats to lose this game, even considering each of the past two weeks.

South Carolina, though they are obviously a much better program than NMSU overall, they still aren’t good. At all. Sure, they managed to win a 13-10 “thriller” over Vanderbilt (an equally bad program) in the opening night of college football, but make no mistake about it, they’re awful. A statistic UK fans will be drooling over as we head to week four is that USC ranks 125th in the nation in yards per carry at 2.46. A team that can’t run the ball against a team that can’t defend the run sure sounds like a wash to me.

South Carolina is banged up as a whole, but their offensive line is a complete mess right now. Starting right guard Donnell Stanley and right tackle Blake Camper are very unlikely to suit up against the Wildcats, and starting safety Chaz Elder is also out for the game as well. Before the season started, USC’s star linebacker Skai Moore was ruled out for the year with a neck injury, and the team’s health did nothing but deteriorate afterward. Beyond injuries, the Gamecocks are in the midst of a QB battle, leaving a huge question mark for the game next Saturday.

As bad as the last two weeks have been, these next two games should be huge opportunities to turn the ship around and get back to .500 before heading to Tuscaloosa in week five. After Alabama, you have both Vanderbilt and Mississippi State at home, and then hit the road to play Missouri. Five winnable games in the next six matchups. Steal one against Tennessee, Georgia, or Louisville (not likely), and then take your victory against Austin Peay, and there are your six or seven wins for a bowl game. The wheels are shaking, but they aren’t off completely yet, folks.

There’s legitimate talent on this team, SEC-quality talent to compete in the East. Mark Stoops will be taking over some of the defensive reigns from DJ Eliot, hopefully improving in that department. Eddie Gran said in his post game interviews that he’s taking the blame for Florida and is already back at the drawing board, promises to fix the problems on his end. If Stoops and staff haven’t lost the locker room, this season is not over. For now.

Will back-to-back wins against New Mexico State and South Carolina give the team some much needed confidence and kickstart the season for success the remainder of the year?

Better yet, will two consecutive wins bring a rapidly declining fan base back on board?

@JackPilgrimKSR

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

31 Comments for Would Kentucky fans be back on board with back to back wins?

1. TimothyJinx
    6:38 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I have a finite amount of minutes left in my life. I will no longer spend them on UK football.

• thabeast
      6:53 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

^^^ What this guy said

• Rsn2GoBlu
      8:29 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

But you will spend your time on a UK football board?

• TimothyJinx
      8:36 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

2 minutes of idle relaxation does not compare to 4 hours of frustration.

2. TorpedoVegas
    6:41 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Doubtful. The two teams coming up are no good either and wins against them won’t prove much except that UK is hovering just above rock bottom.

3. Piedma Schwartz
    6:52 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

The only way I will be back on board is if we win 3 straight.

• UKPROF
      12:47 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

FIRST, Barnfart AND Stoops AND Eliot are no longer employees of the U of K. Then, when the new coach wins three wins straight games by at least 50 points in each game THEN I will THINK about returning to CWS to watch another football game…and I did say THINK about it.

• Billy Hill
      1:40 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Bye, Felicia. Ultimate bandwagon poosies.

4. Big Blue Shawn
    6:54 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Yes! Would be a step in the right direction.

5. cats paw
    6:56 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

uk wishes it had an elite sports team like a certan team down the road

• thabeast
      6:59 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Could you elaborate on “elite sports team”? I assume you just didn’t realize that UK still has a basketball team.

6. pdswar2
    7:00 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

They may have one position advantage, head coach

7. empiremaker
    7:00 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

NMST/PEAY very strong chance
    Vandy/SC strong chance
    Miss State/Mizzu chance
    TN/GA/Bama no chance.

8. empiremaker
    7:01 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Forgot Cards = No Chance so I got around 4 may be 5.

9. runningunnin.454
    7:04 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I would certainly feel better. I’ve never lived in Missouri….but show me.

10. woohop1
    7:30 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I, too, am nearing “The End” Ive attended football games since 1953. Contrary to the First Responder to this article, I am “ALL IN’ no matter who coaches, or how the team competes. Clearly I want a winning program before I pass……so I will support, cheer, and attend all home games and challenge the TRUE long term fan to do so as well.

• stoopstroops
      8:19 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Love seeing posts like this. A true fan never leaves his team. We can get frustrated and complain but we should never abandon this team or any team.

• BLUEsky
      8:49 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Ditto. These guys are not done yet.

11. roundball fool
    7:46 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I’m still a fan and will never run down our team and our players. The coaches have to make it happen. Clown time is over. We need a fun, “blow out ” win against NMST and a win, any kind of win in the next two. Then we need to get to six for a bowl. Still, a truly uphill battle. I hope we have it in us.

12. hersheyisabear
    8:12 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Yes I would feel a lot better. Would be a step in the right direction for the season and it would be great for the players and coaching staff.

13. jim tom
    8:12 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Are you kidding me. Back on board what ?

14. stoopstroops
    8:22 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

I hope the fans that are not on board now don’t come back. You are either with the University of Kentucky football team or you’re not. Regardless of who plays or coaches I’ll be in the stands cheering for the game/ team I love. If that’s not the way you are looking at it right now then please don’t come back for the success!

• KYcats11
      8:26 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Agree^^^^^^^^^^

• inside info2
      8:54 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Part of me understands why you would feel this way. But the other part of me blames you for the mediocre football UK has produced for the last several decades. If you owned a business, would you tolerate the same type of product from your employees? Would you expect consumers to by your product if you produced a product similar to UK football?

We will never get a better product if we don’t demand one. And unfortunately the only way we can do that is to not financially support what is being produced.

• Billy Hill
      10:03 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Its that easy folks… DEMAND IT.

I’m amazed the other 125 football teams haven’t done the same! IT’S OURS FOR THE TAKING!! WATCH OUT, ALABAMA!! WE AE GONNA START DEMANDING SUCCESS!!!

Delete your account. You’re batting .000.

• inside info2
      10:19 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Billy, you obviously don’t know how basic economics works.

I’m batting .000? No, I think that is you and Stoops.

• inside info2
      10:30 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Considering I majored in economics at UK, I think I’m good.

You really need to work on your anger management. I truly feel sorry for you.

• Billy Hill
      10:37 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, dumbass, judging by the decline in ticket sales, disinterest by October, etc, its obvious UK fans haven’t tried to voice their unhappiness with the football team, which has been bad my entire life (which happens to precede Mitch’s tenure by 21 years)

But please, tell us more about Robic’s relationship with Cal… 😉

You need to find a woman (or man) who will make love to you. I truly feel sorry for you.

15. Rsn2GoBlu
    8:31 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Hell if we win 2 straight, I see another contract extension for Stoops coming.

16. CB3UK
    9:34 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

No, beating a terrible NMSU and mediocre-on-a-good-day South Carolina team means zilch after completely quitting against Florida, not to mention getting destroyed by our former OC at USM because we don’t even have a staff competent enough to change their play call signals from the previous season he was here.

The fans who go no matter what such as in this thread show commendable loyalty, but unfortunately that blind loyalty is exactly why the administration has been able to get away with half assing it for so long. At some poibt you have to say they owr us, not vice versa. In a business environment, if I pay for goods and services I expect to receive what I pay for or be reimbursed/compensated to my satisfaction. If satisfactory terms are not met in the exchange ,I do not give them repeat business. Quit filling the seats and k fund coffers just so we can perpetuate the cycle of pitiful expectations (6 wins should be the basement, not the bar) and keep a guy with such pitiful foresight that he gave a coach with 5 wins on the season a $12 million buyout. Watch and cheer from home or support a local bar. Enough is freaking enough. We CAN have a winning football program.

17. BluKudzu
    9:34 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Two straight will gain some interest. I would be interested if they just fixed this dumpster fire, train wreck of a defense. Do that, and I will be interested, otherwise, I have zero interest in the season. It just don’t matter or will matter, without it.