Win’s a win, right?

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Kentucky jumped out to a big lead on Louisiana-Lafayette tonight in the grand opening of Commonwealth Stadium. It was over early, so we thought.

Then Kentucky football happened.

The Ragin’ Cajuns clawed back and tied the score at 33-33 with just over seven minutes left in the game, sending Big Blue Nation into a panic. A quick punt gave ULL the ball with a chance to take its first lead, but UK’s defense held its ground. The Cats answered with 58-yard drive, ending with a Mikel Horton touchdown for the win.

We’ll have plenty postgame chatter throughout the night and into the morning. After that, we move on.

Article written by Drew Franklin

46 Comments for Win’s a win, right?

1. Gowcats
    11:06 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Did we have a running game after Boom’s first touch? Gonna need more balance in the next game.

• Balance
      11:12 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Oh we had balance….the lack of a passing game after halftime balanced the lack of a running game.

2. Kat308
    11:09 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

“Then Kentucky football happened” is the attitude we can do without I agree the second half was not great but this is a Kentucky web site be a fan. Be optimistic.

• Disappointed
      11:12 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

You beat me to the punch…

3. Kyblue34
    11:10 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Glad we got the win, but that was pathetic. Was impressed with the wide receivers and running backs, but that’s about it. Also thought Harmon played well. However, Towles, the OL, and the defense are certainly not improved, and that’s very disappointing.

4. Disappointed
    11:12 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

“Then Kentucky Football Happened”

There is a bad taste in the mouths of the collective Big Blue Nation after the second half we just watched, but I am more disappointed in what was written in the first post after this football game. For all the great things that are happening within our football program and all the positivity going into this season about how this is not the same Kentucky football team we once knew, a comment like that AFTER A WIN from one of the leading writers on this website was nothing short of disappointing.

The old Kentucky football would have found a way to lose that game. Although it wasn’t pretty, we did find a way to win and looked really, really good in the first half. We should still feel good about our chances going into SC after they way they looked this week, and winning that game will allow us all to quickly forget the second half that occurred tonight.

I expected better from the writers on this site, especially with the amount of great coverage of Kentucky football and the obvious changes that have been occurring in the right direction.

• Kat308
      11:17 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

I agree win or lose that’s in poor taste. I love Kentucky football and always will no matter how good or bad they are. Mark Stoops cant change the perception himself especially if a website dedicated to UK still thinks we suck.

5. delusional
    11:12 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Oh you must want Drew to say Kentucky is going 11-2 this year with a bowl win.

• Darrel Thomas
      11:52 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

If tonight was any indication, you can forget about a bowl bid. True, ULL is a good football team, but one of the easier teams we have on our schedule. Anyway, I am getting really tired of our team giving up 30-40-50 points every game. If our defense could just get a couple of stops each quarter so they could get off the field and rest a little, that might help. I wish we could see more of the punters from the other teams…we just never get to see those guys enough.

6. UKGrad83
    11:13 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Pitiful. Year 3 and barely getting a win against ULL. The more things change the more they stay the same.

• Old Coach Brooks
      11:57 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

And I found it a little sad to see at least 25-30% of the stands had been vacated half way through the 3rd quarter. It’s not a boring movie people, it’s a football game…try and make yourself stay until at least the forth quarter, uh?

7. NL
    11:13 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

I don’t understand how we fail to be physical year in and year out. We never seem to be able to dominate the line of scrimmage regardless of the opponent. Very disappointing outing IMO

8. Mark Liptak
    11:15 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

They got the win and that’s nice and I understand ULL’s team has beaten bigger schools and gone to four straight bowl games but you simply can’t overlook blowing a 23 point lead….at home.

Simply no excuse for that type performance in the second half.

None, nada, nyet.

This team / program still has miles and miles to go.

9. WildFan
    11:16 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

OK, so what’s the answer to this current roster mismatch. We clearly have much improved receivers. Not sure how they’ll match up in SEC play but they were definitely better than anyone ULL could put on them. Problem is that Towles either underthrows them and the have to turn and run back into the defender that they’ve already beaten or he overthrows them even though they are 3 -5 steps ahead of the defender. The mismatch is that Towles lacks the talent level to pass to these receivers. If he beat out Barker for the starting position, does that mean Barker is worse? Did Towles just get the starting nod because he is the “seasoned veteran”? Someone who has had the luxury of seeing reps in practice please shed some light on why Towles is still out there slinging this garbage instead of Barker. With the current receivers, it seems like this should be a “decent” quarterback’s dream. What gives? Why is Towles still the starter?

• Darrel Thomas
      11:42 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

WOW…excellent observation. I wondered the same thing. Stoops said earlier in the week that Barker would get a chance to play. I was not impressed with Towles tonight, not even a little bit.

10. Stoops
    11:17 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Stoops is a Def coach. 33pts sure is a lot by a crap team.

11. SUNBELT CALIBER
    11:19 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

No other word to describe this game. EMBARRASSING. First we get beat TWO YEARS IN A ROW by WKU, then a member of the SUNBELT and now “The YEAR”, “the NEW ERA of UK Football” and we escape against another SUNBELT team. . . . Same Ol’ Kentucky Football. . . smh.

• Craig Sager's Suits
      12:09 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

We get that rhetoric every year during the spring. The team looks great. The team is going to do great things. Then they almost lay an egg to a Sunbelt team. They are not beating SC next week if this happens.

I have no issue with Drew saying “Then KY Football Happened” because it’s the truth and I’ve been saying that before. And I agree with post #10 about giving up 33 points to a crap team by someone who’s supposed toe be a Defensive Coach. Tune it up Stoopy.

My bet with CatsFan is in the bag! Remember dude, we agreed on 8 games regular season. You may have the first W but I’m more than confident I’ll get the 5-6 L’s I need to win. Again dude, I hope I’m wrong and I want to be but being a fan of honesty, I don’t see it happening.

12. Kat308
    11:20 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

WE WILL BEAT USC

• David E.
      11:39 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

We will not and can not beat South Carolina unless we learn in one week how to play DEFENSE!

13. StoopsPoops
    11:21 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Mark Stoops: “It was a great night. I’m not going to let the fact that it got a little sloppy in the 2nd half take away from that.”

This.. in one sentence.. is what is wrong with Kentucky football

• David E.
      11:37 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Totally Agree

14. Rise
    11:23 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

You all realize many sports websites had ULL ranked ahead of us right? They are a legit team. Wasn’t pretty but we won the game. Stop being a bunch of bitches.

• Truth
      11:25 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

^^^^^^^

15. woodyCat
    11:23 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

How many throws did Toles miss? Receivers were open all night.

• elderly fan1
      12:05 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Been watchin’ and goin’ to UK football games since 1962, still remember Stoll Field quite well thank you. Seen a lot of football. I would have pulled that Towles kid at half time but I ain’t the coach. Whoever the defense coach is, he needs to go back to school and pay attention.

• J-Dub421
      10:13 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

How about you at least spell Towles correctly.

16. wildcat502
    11:24 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

The offensive line played a good game and anyone who says otherwise didnt see the time Towles had to throw. He was 4 to 5 yards away from any defender on most plays. What bothers me was him under throwing the receivers consistently and then threw that interception right to the defender. Plus the defense didnt play well in the second half. Hopefully that will improve when Flannegan and Hatcher returns. Their much smaller offensive line took it to our defensive line, in the second half.
    We have some wrinkles to work through and I`m still looking for a 7 win season. Just stay healthy and out of trouble.
    A win is a win. Go Cats

17. trentp34
    11:26 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

A win is a win. I know there was some poor tackling in the 2nd half, but the defense was also very tired from the lack of offense in the 2nd half. You can’t expect any defense, on any level, to be able to stop an offense consistently when they are always out there. Hopefully they can clean things up and go to South Carolina next week and get a W!

• Old Coach John
      11:36 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

And WHY are they out there???? Because they can not STOP the other team. I have NO sympathy for the excuse the defense was tired. They would not be tired if they went out there, did their job, and made the other team PUNT the ball a few times! PLAY some DEFENSE…problem solved.

18. GREAT WIIN!!!!
    11:30 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

I agree with Coach Stoops… Why worry about letting a SunBelt team score 23 unanswered points, tie the game and have a chance to drive for the winning touchdown? I would have STORMED THE FIELD if I or the other 20,000 fans would have stayed until the end of the game! Had to get home to get the garbage out . . . priorities ya know . . .

19. Old Coach John
    11:32 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Matt Jones commented online at the end of the game that ‘we averted a disaster’. We did NOT avert a disaster; it WAS a disaster, but a disaster with a semi-happy ending. Unfortunately for BBN, our defense is a mirror image of last year, and it’s because we have the same defensive coordinator. At least a half dozen times in the past 6 weeks I have posted on this site that UK’s DEFENSE cannot give up an average of 32+ points a game (like they did last year) and have any chance of a bowl game, this year or any year. I was hopeful that DJ Eliot had done some studying in his ‘off season’ but apparently not. I am not sure why Coach Stoops likes DJ Eliot, but I sure hope it is not like the Mitch Barnhart and Joker Phillips’ friendship that set the program back 5+ years. The defense is unacceptable, and somebody better fix it quick or this season is already ‘in the books’. So goes the defense, so goes UK Football in 2015.

20. Andy
    11:32 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

The Oline didnt play bad. Towles had space and time on quite a few occasions in the 2nd half but man he looked shaky in the 2nd. He def still has to improve on his intermediate throws and accuracy otherwise Barker is gonna come in.

I can’t tell if we got complacent, bored or they just out coached us in the 2nd half.

Running game has to improve. Where were the tight ends? I barely saw them involved.

21. TKAT
    11:33 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

From what I saw tonight, I can say without hesitation and zero braggadocio, South Carolina is in for a beat down next week.

GO CATS!

• Sccat
      11:41 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Amen brother! Let’s go down there and get wild on them. Put tonight away and step forward and win big..

• InigoMontoya
      11:54 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Waiter, I’ll have what HE’S drinking.

• CigarMan
      12:08 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

I’m taking bets. How many points will UK have to score to win at South Carolina…at least 56 becase the defense will be giving up at least 55.

22. Gary
    11:38 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

Lay off Drew!!!! I’m 68 years old and have been a football fan of UK for most of those years.
    The truth sometimes hurts. We have NO defensive line which makes our defensive backs look bad.
    We have NO offensive line which makes our offensive backs look bad except for an occasional big
    play. We have good wide receivers, but Towles looked awful. He overthrew, underthrew, locked in on receivers, and, almost got Kemp killed with an awful short pass.I realize you can’t do it now, but, we need new offensive and defensive line coaches, a new defensive co-ordinator, and if Towles doesn’t
    improve greatly, Barker needs to be given a chance. If I’m too negative for some of you, too bad.
    This performance was pitiful, and, we’re extremely lucky to have won.

• WildFan
      12:03 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Agree with everything you just said. All of it is true especially when we get to conference play (next week). For this particular game keyed in on the offense, receivers that were flat scorching their defenders but Patrick Towles is not in the same talent pool as them. He overthrows or underthrows by ridiculous margins. He can’t even get it close to catch able for these guys. Why is he starting? Is Barker worse than him?
      The other thing was Big Matt Elam, yes you’re talented, yes you were highly receuited. Stop wearing it on your sleeve and start playing like that guy.

• CigarMan
      12:12 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

WOW…there are a few intelligent wildcat fans!! At least a few that will tell it like it is. Hey Drew, be sure to forward these comments to the coaching staff, they really need to read these and then act accordingly, it will help the team. They are no different this year than they were last year. Towles needs to sit out a game or two and I have no idea what we can do about the defense, there is none.

23. UKallday
    11:44 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

I think you all took what he said the wrong way. I may be wrong, but the way I interpreted it was “the way it’s supposed to be played” as in THAT is how you start a season.

24. AppData
    11:46 pm September 5, 2015 Permalink

ULL is no slouch and they had nothing to lose in the 2nd half and played looser, UK lost it’s mojo after getting the big lead.

25. Mo blatz
    12:01 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

I think Drew is dead on. Good news is that UK has a lot of skill players on offense. Bad news is that the QB missed an awful lot of chances to get them the ball. On defense uk still doesn’t have depth to have 80+ plays run against them. 8-4 seems awfully optimistic. 6-6 seems about right.

26. davidM
    9:08 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

I’ll take the W as that wasn’t a slouch team. Of the completions made in the 1st half, I remember 1-2 that were caught in stride. It seemed that for most of the passes, the receiver had to make a lot of adjustments to get the ball. Hopefully season opening jitters.

27. Tedington
    10:34 am September 6, 2015 Permalink

Maybe is just my eternal big blue optimism….but does anyone else think that we didn’t put all of our cards on the table last night knowing we have much better and far more important games coming up? I just never got the feeling that the team or the coaching staff was “All In” for ULL. I’ll save the disappointment for one more week.

28. bluejay69
    1:02 pm September 6, 2015 Permalink

We won at least were not Louisville