Will We See Drew Barker or Gunnar Hoak This Year?

barker

To answer the title’s question in two words: probably not.  But like most teenage relationships, it’s complicated.

Stoops provided an update on Drew Barker that can be best summarized as, “There is no update.”  If you’d like to see what he said for batim instead of a summary:

“Is he going to practice this week?  No.  Is he closer?  I don’t know, we’ll get an update.  This week nothing has changed.”

When Stoops first announced Barker’s injury, he said that he’d be reevaluated during the Bye Week.  That was a month ago.

“(There’s) No denying when I made that announcement it was going to be a significant amount of time,” Stoops said.  “I don’t know how many weeks that is, but it’s a good amount of time.”

With Barker’s status uncertain for the rest of the year, if Stephen Johnson goes down with injury Stoops will be backed into a corner.  The plan until this point was to pull Gunnar Hoak’s redshirt if Johnson was going to miss significant time.  With only three games remaining, that may no longer be an option.

“I’m unsure because I’ve been very pleased with Luke.  I feel like Luke Wright has really gotten better and is a good quarterback.  I like what I’m seeing out of him.  I’m unsure.  We’ll continue to look at that situation and see what the situation is.  I’d like to see what Luke can do in a game because I feel like he’s playing well and practicing well and I have some confidence in him.”

Hopefully push doesn’t come to shove and Johnson will be healthy for the rest of the year.  If not, we will be seeing Luke Wright before we see Drew Barker or Gunnar Hoak.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

14 Comments for Will We See Drew Barker or Gunnar Hoak This Year?

1. JGBedell
    2:40 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

I believe you meant to say “verbatim”.

2. za
    2:42 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

I told somebody after Johnson’s first game and the “crypticness” of Drew’s injury report that he’d never take another snap for UK.

3. nashvillecatsfan
    2:48 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

“for batim”?

• WildcatScratchFever
      3:07 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

Don’t make him an escape goat.

• Nick Roush
      6:02 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

WildcatScratchFever gets it

4. AllBlueAllDay
    2:51 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

For all the comments on the “verbatim” and “for batim”, if you listened to the football podcast you would get the reference Nick is making.

5. secrick
    3:06 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

Who needs a quarterback when you got Snell and Boom? Just kidding , not sure what i would do and that’s why Stoops is coach and i am not.

6. Sentient Third Eye
    3:25 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

Backup plan: Just put in Jojo, Benny and Boom all three, no QB, and run a triple option with Benny also making short throws.

7. inside info2
    3:27 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

Here’s a little piece of real inside info–the staff has known that more than likely Barker wouldn’t be able to play any more this year after his injury, and may not be able to play again. It was that serious. I am not sure why they are trying to keep it a secret.

• Sentient Third Eye
      3:31 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

Because it’s his family’s decision to release health info related to their son?

• inside info2
      3:40 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

That could be it. But the staff has discretion to list injury reports and time expected to be missed due to those injuries. They do it every week. They are being very cryptic about Barker. I’m not saying there is anything wrong about it, but they HAVE known since a few days after his injury that he may not play again.

8. Patches
    5:30 pm November 7, 2016 Permalink

Why even bring it up at this point. This season is what it is. There will be no quarterback change at this point and no reason to. Johnson hit two receivers perfectly one a sure TD and they both fumble the ball away. That is not being a bad quarterback that is being bad at what you got your scholarship for, catching the damn ball.

9. chrisg18
    8:52 am November 8, 2016 Permalink

Well hopefully the Austin Peay game will be an opportunity to see what Luke Wright can do.