After Kentucky’s first ten-win season in 41 years, the Wildcats are not focused on what was lost, but the program’s potential to take even greater steps forward in 2019.

This ball club can be as good, if not better than last year’s team,” Kash Daniel said at SEC Media Days.  “Just because we lose a lot of talented guys, doesn’t mean there’s not a lot of talented guys on the back end that’s gonna step up.

“Coach Stoops is not going to offer people to sit on the bench, get free gear and just walk around campus. He’s not doing that. He’s recruiting players right now to come in and take my job. He’s recruiting players to take over for Josh Allen, to take over for Benny Snell. That’s what building a program is. That’s what Coach Stoops is doing here. He’s not just building a two or three-year team. This is now a program where we can reload instead of rebuild.”

Mark Stoops laid the foundation last year. Even though many may see it as a fluke, Daniel believes the winning mindset has been established in Kentucky’s locker room.

“The toughness and the resilience you see in this program, it’s not by a habit of luck. It’s by a habit of work you put in each and everyday to get the best possible results out there on the field.”

After losing Josh Allen and Benny Snell, most media prognosticators in Hoover will pick Kentucky to finish near the bottom of the SEC East. Stoops tries not to pay attention to the “disrespect,” but he can’t help but get a little fired up when asked about the lack of preseason praise.

“You guys are really trying to get me going. I think you all know how my blood boils,” he laughed. “Again, what we have to focus on, and that’s the truth, is what are we doing? What are we doing to put ourselves in a position to win? These players know we lost great players. Our players know how to put themselves in position to win a bunch of games. We want more. We expect more. What the media or anybody else does, I can’t control that, so we’re worried about ourselves.”

Logan Stenberg has a message for those who don’t believe Kentucky can continue performing at a high level in the SEC.

“Give us another look. If not, get ready, because we’re going to take you on another ride this year. You can predict whatever you want, but we’re going to be a hell of a football team this year.”

Lynn Bowden’s expectations for this year’s team are no different than the All-SEC offensive guard’s.

“People tend to overlook the players we have. We have some good players. They may be young, but there’s no excuse for us to take a step back. I think the only way we’re going to go is forward. It’s going to be a great season.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for Will Kentucky take a step back in 2019? Wildcats believe they can be even better

1. cats646
    3:03 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Hell yea!!
    Bring it!
    GO BIG BLUE!!!!

2. Looother
    7:02 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

My sources say that Ky’s inexperienced secondary will cost them games and cause them to take a step back this season…

3. louahvullCatFan
    8:37 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

My sources are split…those who actually follow the team think it can equal last year’s record, while those who don’t follow the team are picking them last- or next-to-last based on history (i.e. looking up SEC standings from the last 15 years on Wikipedia).

4. slangterm
    10:29 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Damn it. I have ALWAYS gotten excited for out football season to start then “IT” always happened. They have talent and depth. It is time be proud of out team.

5. Cletis75
    12:02 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

They could be better, but I believe Benny and the secondary and Josh are going to be hard to replace.

• UKCatAttack
      7:27 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

This is pretty much what I was going to say

• CatsfaninFL
      8:25 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I think if we are better it is because guys stepped up in needed areas AND we have an easier schedule. The schedule alone is set up to succeed. Get a few secondary guys to step, TT does the typical soph to jr transition and I think we will be pushing 9-10 wins again. Either way I have a hard time believing we collapse to 5-6 wins like most prognosticators think.

6. BluKudzu
    4:23 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

This program will be fine. We have the players now to compete every game.
    The doubters and nay sayers will always be there.
    However, there is nothing more gratifying than shutting them up, with a large pile of “told you so.”
    There is a truckload coming at you. It is going to be dumped on your front lawn a bunch of Saturdays this fall.
    At the end of the season, when we compete for a win in a new year’s day or post new year’s day bowl, remember, you doubted this team and did not believe they could.
    I believe in this team. I believe in our players, I know we are going to be given everything they have.
    Go Cats. Blue World Order. BBN. We have arrived.

• J-Dub421
      9:52 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Amen, my man.

7. chas420
    4:12 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

Look at the schedule! Third easiest in the Nation!if they don’t win 10 it’s a massive fail!

• satcheluk