Will Kentucky keep Lynn Bowden at QB after win over Mizzou? It’s complicated

After Lynn Bowden led Kentucky to another big win as quarterback, will Mark Stoops and staff stay with him or go back to Sawyer Smith now that he’s finally healthy?

“I think you all can see what’s going on out there,” Stoops said after the game. “It’s pretty hard to take him out. I don’t know.

“We’ll see. Sawyer is getting better and it’s nice to be able to have the option to go to both guys. Once again, tonight, the conditions made it extremely tough to get him out of there tonight. As you can tell, that’s playing with 12 [players] at times. Even though they were loading up, we were playing zero, he still was able to hit some big runs, and again, our coaches really did a good job. They’ve had a lot of stress on them and they’ve worked exceptionally hard. I’m proud of them.”

With over 250 yards of total offense and two touchdowns, Bowden was Kentucky’s Swiss Army knife in the 29-7 win over Missouri, earning all of the praise from his coach afterwards.

“What can you say about Lynn?” Stoops marveled. “Amazing. Just so tough, so tough. And talented. And really, had the weather been clearer like it was in the first half, I think he would have thrown the ball really well tonight because we had some opportunities because of how dynamic he is in the run game. It creates some opportunities in the pass game.”

Talent is one thing, but toughness is another. Stoops compared Bowden to another Wildcat when it comes to putting it all on the line for his team — physically and emotionally.

“In regards to toughness, I said this a year ago with Josh Allen, and I said this early, just show me somebody that’s better defensively nationwide,” Stoops said. “I’d say the same thing about Lynn. There’s a lot of tough players out there nationally, but I’d like to see one that’s tougher than him. He’s tough as nails and gritty.”

“And it is hard for him. It’s hard emotionally. People do not fully understand what goes into that and what he has to do and the way he directs things and understands the offense. There are so many moving parts, it’s hard for people to totally understand and appreciate what he’s doing because it’s hard, and emotionally, physically, mentally beats you up. So, I think that’s the key for him throughout the week, keeping him level headed where he doesn’t get the frustration, because there’s a lot on him and physically, he’s getting beaten up, and mentally, there’s a lot on him.”

Bowden took several hits tonight — to the point he said he believed Missouri was “trying to take me out for real” — but only had smiles for reporters after the game.

“I’m feeling good for real,” he said. “I’ve got little cuts on my hand, new tattoos.”

Bowden claimed he plays his best games in the rain, and lingered in it after the game was over, slapping hands with fans in the stands to thank them for staying through the downpour.

“I love them and I appreciate their effort,” Bowden said of the BBN. “We drew off their energy. I was celebrating with them a little bit on the sidelines.”

Is he content to stay at quarterback moving forward?

“If I got to, I will,” Bowden said.

What would he say if someone told him he’d be playing quarterback at this stage in his career?

“I’d laugh at them,” he said before having the last laugh himself.

15 Comments for Will Kentucky keep Lynn Bowden at QB after win over Mizzou? It’s complicated

1. Smyrna_Cat
    12:07 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

It isn’t complicated.

2. KYFAN4LYFE
    12:10 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

If you want to make a bowl, it’s a no-brainer to stick with Bowden. But it will be a minor miracle if he finishes the season without a major injury, because he will be a marked man, and takes a TON of punishment.

• makeitstop
      12:24 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

That’s why I’d switch back to Smith and play Bowden a few plays at wildcat bc now u really don’t know where’s he going. But u can’t leave him in w that punishment and u can’t expect to beat UL and UT without passing. Mizzou has a terrible rushing D and the rain helped us, but on a blue sky day at Commonwealth we better be able to throw. I hate losing to UT. Gotta stop.

• ukisdabest
      12:31 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

I agree that you should stick to Bowden and and the injury, but smith could still take us to a bowl because of our defense plays like that against anyone in our remaining schedule, all we need in like 14 points

3. maximumscott
    12:27 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

Injuries can happen at any position. As long as he gets out bounds, slides then he will minimize his hits. His elusiveness also helps him not take huge hits. If he gets hurt it will be an illegal hit.

4. Miller45
    12:33 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

We would be stuck at 2 wins without him

5. Ipeeblue
    3:33 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

I’m gonna try out for our Quarterback position, Mom says I’m good enough to make it!!! My damn basement roof is still leaking and just ruined my super nintendo controller when I went upstairs to kiss Momma goodnight and grab more cheetos!!

6. TOMCATS1990
    9:16 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

Think the answer is play both alternate series or quarters or plays. Playing both and having 2 separate play books for each QB puts a lot of pressure on opposing teams Defensive Coordinators and players.

• Southky
      9:41 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

^^^This^^^

7. Bluehender
    10:17 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

They would be crazy not to keep him as QB1. Sprinkle in a little Sawyer Smith to keep them off balance and keep QB1 rested and fresh.

8. MacAssassin123
    10:52 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

Why not play both? Who says we can’t have two starting QB’s we use Bowden for running and short throws (screens and check downs) and use Sawyer when we want to use play action, or throw it medium (TE and Shotgun plays) and throw deep. If Gran mix’s that up properly the opposing defense won’t know what QB is coming in at through out the game and won’t know what play we are running with that QB which will make our offense real hard to defend. Using both QB’s strengths basically equally a faster better deep throwing Terry Wilson. It’s the best of both worlds. Plus it would be a real headache for teams to have to prepare for two QB’s the next 4 weeks and beyond.

9. krautdog
    10:52 am October 27, 2019 Permalink

It just means…….more! UK football is actually FUN to watch with Bowden @ q’back. He gives us more weapons/options AND “he’s having fun”!

10. zoupman
    12:03 pm October 27, 2019 Permalink

Sawyer needs to play. Play both of them.