Wide Receivers Coach Jovon Bouknight is STAYING at Kentucky

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

*Record Scratch*

An early Friday morning report stated that Kentucky was parting ways with wide receivers coach Jovon Bouknight after only one season. Sources tell KSR that report was incorrect.

KSR’s Matt Jones reports that Bouknight will remain on Kentucky’s coaching staff for the 2021 season.

Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow had plenty of kind words for “Coach Bo” throughout bowl prep. Once you consider that UK needs continuity in the wide receivers room, the initial report was surprising.

Nevertheless, Coach Bo will stay in Lexington and the Wildcats’ 2021 coaching staff is complete.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

9 Comments for Wide Receivers Coach Jovon Bouknight is STAYING at Kentucky

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:12 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

Why would you keep him on just for continuity’s sake? I’m not saying he’s not a good coach. He may be. But we got rid of the QB coach & the RB coach, and of course we had to replace Schlarman. If someone’s not doing a good job, they need to go.

Was Stoops ready to fire Jovon until the guy pleaded his case and explained why the poor receiver development last year wasn’t his fault? Or did the 247 guy just flat out get it wrong?

Again, I’m not throwing stones at the WR coach, but I read post after post here (and heard ppl say on the KSR show) saying the receivers weren’t getting separation like they needed to, with the implication being it was technique and not speed (or speed along). So, I think some questions need to be answered.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:17 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

Alone…

And again, I have no idea if he’s a good coach or not. I would just like for Stoops (or Freddie since Stoops really can’t slam his players I guess) to explain what the problem was with the receivers not getting separation last year. Maybe it was a speed issue after all, but I’d like someone who knows football like Freddie to explain it (actually I think I heard him say at least once himself that it was a technique issue, but I may be wrong…if it was, that’s on the coach it would seem since it was pretty much the entire WR corps).

• just a guy
      1:43 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

How would you know if WRs got separation? That would indicate they ran dedicated pass plays instead of RPOs.

• UKinIN
      1:44 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

I like to hear Freddie’s opinion so I listen to the podcasts and read his posts. I believe his most common comments about the passing game were along the “All systems failure” and “It takes 11 guys to have a good passing game” lines. I never heard him mention the WR coach other than to talk about all the coaching turnover at that position. In this age of “It’s more important to be first than accurate” journalism I don’t read too much into bad reporting. Whatever went on behind the scenes we haven’t heard anything from UK about Bouknight.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      1:55 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

just a guy, I didn’t say that. Several commenters here have, and I’m pretty sure a KSR writer or 2, and Matt I think, have said it. I’m just going on memory. Again, I’m not judging his coaching, but it seems to me a lot of ppl have, including some who know football more than me. I guess we will see next season…if Prez Harris doesn’t shut down the entire country.

2. Theymademesignup
    12:22 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

I dunno how I feel about this one. Our receivers have not been very good.

3. ClutchCargo
    1:04 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

Not sure he has had time to really make an impact yet. I’ll trust Stoops’ judgment on this one.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      1:56 pm January 8, 2021 Permalink

Yep, we have to at this point. I hope he’s rght.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door