Why Saturday’s Win Over Louisville is My Favorite Ever (in any sport)

Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

If you aren’t from or ever lived in Louisville, you simply don’t understand. That’s just reality. You can still hate the Louisville Cardinals if you aren’t from Louisville, sure, don’t be ridiculous. However, to have a true grasp of the volcanic vitriol and utter disdain that exists between the Kentucky and Louisville fan bases, Louisville had to be your home at some point in your life. As a kid growing up in Louisville I learned that the rivalry isn’t just a single football and basketball game, it’s a year ’round affair. I can’t even begin to guess how many arguments between classmates erupted during school. Arguments that sometimes nearly came to blows between kids hell bent to protect their respective teams. This happened. All. Year. Long. As a UK fan, constantly hearing the relentless L1C4 smack talk, it begins to wear on you to the point your hatred could fuel a thousand burning suns. To the point you watch every Louisville game on TV in hopes they lose so badly they no longer have a reason to maintain an athletic program. When they do lose, it’s a great feeling and when the team that beats them is Kentucky, there isn’t a thing on Earth capable of removing that snake oil grin that emerges on your face.

Saturday was the most satisfying win over Louisville of my lifetime, in football or basketball. I was a junior in high school the last time the Cats won the Governor’s Cup (which by the way is the lamest name for a rivalry game ever. Alabama/Auburn gets a badass name like the Iron Bowl, and we’re stuck with the “Governor’s Cup”, yeesh). Six years without a football victory over Louisville is almost enough time to forget what it feels like to win. It wasn’t just the relief of finally getting a win that made it so special for me, however. Like it always has been, it was the joy of a Louisville loss coming at the expense of the Kentucky Wildcats. It was the dumbfounded faces of all the Cards fans I got in so many arguments with growing up. Only this time it was an even greater level of joy, a level of joy I had never experienced with this rivalry before.

You see, I am a student at the University of Louisville. I ultimately chose to attend UofL because it was the best financial option, before you make any further judgements. So over the years I have made friends and attended class with virtually nothing but Louisville fans. Oh boy, the things I’ve heard. This year was particularly awful with Louisville emerging on the national scene in football. Such national prominence emboldened my, UofL fan, peers to the point where I saw a fan base, three years removed from being a mid-major college football program, believe they became Notre Dame. They’d stick their noses up at just the very mention of UK football like a hipster who is too cool shop at Wal-Mart. Kentucky was a joke to them, a silly kids game they were too big for now. Their lack of self-awareness just added lighter fluid to smoldering hate charcoals that existed in my soul.

I would often have conversations with them about their football team. Sometimes, I would sneakily quiz them during these conversations, just mentioning facts regarding the history of Louisville football. Most of them did not know about Howard Schnellenberger or his significance to their beloved football team. Some of them were completely unaware that UofL had spent many years in the basement of college football, giving tickets away at Burger King, and almost getting rid of their football program completely. The pre-Bobby Petrino era (before he “wrecked his motorcycle”) seemed to not exist to these young Cardinal fans and that ignorance just made me want the Cats to beat them that much more. They’d continue mocking Kentucky football, jabbing at how inferior the Cats were to their Cards every opportunity they got. Then Saturday November, 26th came.

All those smug comments went away as they watched a second string, JUCO transfer, quarterback outplay their beloved Heisman candidate. Their noses that had been pointed to the sky, so high they couldn’t see the game, turned down in concern as they watched the unthinkable happen on their own field. They shrieked as their savior fumbled with the score tied at 38. Then they wept as Austin MacGinnis’ kick sailed through the uprights to give them their third loss of the season. The joke, Kentucky football, had just beaten them at the game they thought they knew best and there was nothing they could do about it. I simply grinned and cracked open an ice cold domestic brew in celebration.

This is why Saturday’s win meant so much to me.

Article written by Barrett Lindsey

I drive a Saturn. Here's my twitter handle that you probably won't follow: @BarrySliceKSR

13 Comments for Why Saturday’s Win Over Louisville is My Favorite Ever (in any sport)

1. Rixter
    5:55 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

Barrett.. L1C4 was introduced in 2012. You’ve been ‘a kid’ in the last 4 years?
    KSR is suspending what little standards it had….

2. Rixter
    5:59 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

My apologies, you said ‘as a fan’… I read it as a kid. as a fellow Louisvillian, I find that most Cards fans worth their mettle don’t embrace that weak slogan…. maybe I’m dealing with a better class of ‘Tards, lol

3. BluKudzu
    5:59 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

Dude, I get it. I have had Louisville Cardinal Football crammed down my throat everyday for years. Having a very close tie with the football program, and a life long fan, I had become so frustrated with the program since they decided to put Joker on as HCIW. When he crashed and burned, the heat really picked up, 10x to 100X. When Stoops started, I was not thrilled, but was cool with the reasoning of Barhhart hiring this guy for defense. Finally.
    Last year was brutal, having to take that chit again. and the heat ramped up this year 1000X, with the opening loss, then the NMSU game, followed by the debacle in Florida.I thought right then and there, this was it, this was going to be as good as it will get. Changes were made, THANK YOU STOOPS. Went to a power running game, and Stoops took over the D. When that happened, I backed off the criticism and started watching this team change. I admit, I was an ass, but dang, if you don’t live here, you don’t have any freaking idea how bad it gets.
    Never in my wildest dreams did I even think about UK beating Louisville. I was just hoping for a 6-6 qualifier for a bowl. That win pulled out a Costco Size can of STFU to every cardinal football fan I know. 41-38. Cardinals, S T F U. My neighbor, next door, has not made eye contact with me since Saturday, My clients, change the subject to fire Petrino, the very same words I used for anyone remotely associated with the UK athletics football program for the last 7 years.
    Frustration had long since passed to no hope, ever, after the first three games of this season. I questioned everything, the players the coaches the scheme, the AD, you name I scorched them all.
    That is over. My gracious, I can not begin to tell anyone, anywhere, how great this feeling is.
    Cardinal Fans, STFU. UK a 4 touchdown underdog came to your stadium, beat you on your home field.
    Call me bandwagon if you want. I could not give a shid. I have remained a fan in the middle of Cardinal hell, where, if you are not from here, you have no clue. You just don’t
    Great piece of writing.
    Go Cats.

4. RickE
    6:08 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

Been arguing w/ those non sports fans since 1960. Lived in this forsaken city for 63 years. Guess I should write my own article… “UL Fans. One Brain. Many Heads. Smoke & Mirrors.” But, But…We Sell Beer.”

5. UK Big Bored Update
    6:19 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

Good article Barrett Lindsey. God bless you for having to put up with lil bro wannabes. I agree in re the zeal we feel at the win. uavel has Napoleon Syndrome, nasty trashy fans of zero class, and it shows.

6. az1006
    6:28 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

I don’t live in Louisville, and never have, so I don’t have that level of empathy. But I live in south central Kentucky, barely an hour south of Louisville and there is more of a mix of Kentucky and UofL fans here than anywhere else I’ve lived in this state, so I have much of the same interactions with dumbass UofL fans. And not one of them has even mentioned the game. Talked incessantly in the weeks leading up, and now it’s like it never happened. And quite frankly, I don’t know if there’s anything better than a totally silent UofL fan.

This one means more than the “Stevie Got Loose” win…Probably because of the fact UofL has had such a good year, the game ended the regular season, and their Heisman frontrunner almost single-handedly lost the game for them (pun intended). This one means more than the LSU win, and it really isn’t close. And, if I’m being totally honest, if by some chance they happen to steal a win in the basketball game on December 21, I’ll be upset. But I would trade an L in basketball for that football W any damn day of the week. A clean sweep? I can barely stand just thinking about it. Go Cats

7. KYcats11
    7:36 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

38-41

8. BLUEsky
    7:48 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

The Ville game was important in a number of ways. Not only has it shut the Ville-sters up, but it has also silenced the crowd that has been audibly critical (downright ugly and mean) towards Mark Stoops. I do believe he has a thick enough skin to look past it and move forward, but I just hope he doesn’t hold a grudge later on down the line when another team tries to lure him away. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’d go to battle with Coach anytime.

9. kyking1
    11:58 pm November 29, 2016 Permalink

I am in the same boat as you. Born and raised in Louisville. started at UK, but now at UL for financial reasons. Its hard for me to say a football game is my favorite, but you may be right. It was both unexpected and sweet to see the look on their stupid, lined beard faces. BBN

10. eddard_stark
    9:25 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

10/13/2007 unranked Kentucky knocks off #1LSU (eventual national champ) no way this win tops that historic day in Commonwealth stadium… As a die hard, life long, Uk fan, Saturday wasnt overly shocking (that 26.5 point spread was extremely shocking.. i emptied my 5 dimes account on the Cats).. Louisville didnt have the 11th best football team in the country, just as Kentucky came into Papa Johns with a top 25 football team.

11. nolecatsfan
    4:08 pm November 30, 2016 Permalink

I am a FSU fan (my parents met there) that attends the other University in the state. I was so happy that UofL and the scum Petrino lost. I have had to deal with so many Loserville fans that have said crablegs (I make it known that I love FSU), but when I bring Petrino and his lack of morals they get mad. Every Loserville fan acts like they are ND, when they really haven’t done anything remarkably close. A lot of them are fair-weather fans, now they are already talking about basketball. I hope they never win another game (oh, by the way, does anybody find it weird that after Wake Forrest comes out about them stealing their playbook they suddenly lose two games)?