Why Max Smith Is The Right Choice

Welcome to the Max Smith era 2.0. After a good showing in the closing quarter of the WKU game Smith is back to leading the Cats on the football field. While some still believe that Whitlow is the man for the job I think Smith is the correct guy for the job. Here’s why:

The Air Raid Can Take Flight

While Whitlow seemed like the best choice coming out of camp, Saturday night it was obvious he was struggling to make big plays down the field. Max Smith came in and the offense came to life as he threw for 125 yards in only one quarter of play. That’s also almost 50 more yards than Whitlow put up in the other three. Smith is clearly more comfortable airing the ball out deep and hitting recievers on the run. It will be tough to give up Whitlow and his extra ability to scramble but he can still be used in the offense.

Whitlow Free To Play Multiple Roles

Remember when Randall Cobb played quarterback for the Cats. It was effective but he was being limited to playing the role of field general. His sophomore and junior year he was able to play receiver, running back, and some QB.Perhaps Whitlow can be used in a similar role. Clearly he can make big gains down the field on his feet. So put him in for specific packages to keep defenses on their toes. Whitlow could be the athelete his was brought on campus to be. Something he is unable to do while he is under center.

Game Winning Experience

Whitlow has one career victory as starter and it came against Samford. Smith isn’t much better with his two but in the games with Smith the Cats have been much more competitive. Smith has shown a knack for finding a way to keep making plays.

So what do you think? Is Smith going to get the job done or are the Cats going to face Quarterback turmoil all year?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

30 Comments for Why Max Smith Is The Right Choice

1. Funkhouse?
    12:02 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

I believe the turmoil will soon be over after the Miami of Ohio game. My gut told me Max was the guy all along, although I trusted that the coaches would put the best guy in as starter. Maybe they were wrong….Maybe Whitlow is better in practice than in games…I don’t know. What I do know is we do NOT need another year of QB turmoil like we’ve had in the past couple of years. I think a lot of people seen too many similarities to Joker football Saturday and that is what most are upset about. Let’s get behind Smith, ALL of us, and show him and this team some support. Yes, it will probably be a long year but I know the BBN can stay strong and keep it all together. Very good things are coming people…patience.

2. Funkhouse?
    12:04 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Oh, one more thing. I know Matt Jones has obviously been smitten with Witlow since the spring game. Does anyone think his constant talk about Witlow had any influence with the coaches decisions. Just curious to hear others opinions…

3. Andy Martin Always Bleeds Blue
    12:18 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

I’m with you, Funkhouse! We need to lay off Matt—Whitlow still has time to shine. It was the first game of the season. However, I like the idea of using him more for Wildcat packages and incorporating him time to time at other skill positions and using him periodically in variations of the option. This offense pleasantly surprised me against Western. I saw big-play potential on the field. If our defense can step up, we can still win 3 or 4 games.

4. Lip set
    12:18 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

1) sure…let’s all get together and pretend we’re all grateful losers and not facing another mediocre 5 years full of unfulfilled promises that could have been spent cheering on a TOP 10 TEAM under the guidance of a coach that was ASKING to come turn us around!!! TOLD YOU SO!!!

5. niaps
    12:26 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Mad Max is the man to go behind center. I have said that since spring practice because Whitlow seems to choke on passing plays way too many times. A great athlete who needs to be on the field just not at quarterback. I personally believe the Cats score better with Max and with Whitlow on the field with him defenses have a whole new problem. Cats may not win more but the fans will love the action.

6. MarkyMark
    12:28 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

4) or it could be the same thing 5 years later.. Easy to say what could have happened when you have no idea what would have happened.

7. Andy
    12:28 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

2- Like i am sure the coaches heavily weighed into how Matt Jones felt about this? You gotta be kidding me right? They made a decision based on practice and the reality of our defense in practice is what may have made Jalen look better. In Jalen’s defense, he may have played better than Max in practice but its GAME time that counts and Max just happened to air it out more than Whitlow. Our D just sucked balls. We have 2 320+ lb dudes than couldn’t stop anything. The D was weak and borderline pathetic.

4- Calm down and go to bed already!!

8. MarkyMark
    12:32 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

I think you have to give Max a shot. With the exception of a few games (western..), everytime he plays he seems to put up a nice catchable ball. Only problem is… he’ll probably be hurt in 2 weeks and you’ll be back to Whitlow. We’ve had much worse than Whitlow and the coaching staff obviously saw something that he was doing better than the others… Just not a good fit for what I thought the air raid was supposed to be.

9. Troy
    1:19 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

This year is a waste anyways. Even if we had the talent and coaching of the entire Alabama football team, we would be LUCKY to come away with no less than 3 losses. We have the hardest schedule in the country without a close second. The biggest thing this coaching staff has to do is try to keep people healthy and spirits up for next season.

10. Wildcatsteeler
    1:49 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

OH look KSR is behind this now. After 85% of BBN said it over and over and over in comments while KSR headlined Whitlow. Hindsight is 20-20 isn’t it?

11. KevvBacon
    2:11 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Look at KSR flipping. HAHAHAHA damn, what happened to your Whitlow boner, KSR?

12. Towels
    2:17 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Max will lead us to 4 to 6 wins
    With this staff sky is the limit
    Western was just too good and is likely to go to a BCS bowl
    Go Cats, three goggle

13. dcheatham
    4:28 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Lets say this piss poor coaching on both sides of football for uk disappionting to drive to nashville and see same staff with different names.

14. SeaCat
    6:21 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Max should have started second half.
    Stoops and Brown need to explain why he didn’t.

15. 35ysth
    6:56 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

We have three (maybe four) good QBs on this team. Whitlow can be a good QB, but he would be more valuable to this team as a slot receiver or a triple threat option out of the backfield. He definately needs to be on the field….

I’m concerned about the defense. Our D-line may be big, but they totally wimped out against WKU. If they don’t show more effort early in the Miami game, I say Stoops should go Joe B. Hall on ’em and take every one of them out for a quarter or two. With all the talk about the new conditioning coach I expected them to at least be in shape.

Does anyone else miss Chuck Smith?

16. Ed
    8:02 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

We can’t knock Whitlow when there were only 13 pass attempts in 3 quarters. Smith had 15 attempts in one quarter. It comes down to the plays that are called. I think the biggest disappointment is our defense. Our D-line put zero pressure on WKU QB and they were throwing the ball around with ease.

17. David
    8:02 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

I saw enough positives on offense to be optimistic but dang our d was bad. Use Max and Whitlow, do everything we can to keep our D off the field. Has anyone heard if our secondary was found.

18. Just ask me why I continue to back the cats
    8:13 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

It wasn’t just Whitlow. Wide receivers looked poor, bad, slow routes. Missed catches and a big fumble at the end of the game. Giving 18 year old freshman with no experience the ball in crucial times of the game makes no sense. The notion that it just takes time is garbage. Big numbers in high school against inferior competition means nothing in the SEC.

19. Tim from Hendo
    8:18 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

I would like to see Whitlow used in the backfield or as a receiver with pass options. Then Patrick Towles could be used as the backup QB and would not have to redshirt.

20. Tim from Hendo
    8:20 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Also, is Whitlow fast enough to play in the defensive secondary?

21. Bert Jones
    9:50 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

If Smith were to be ineffective would the staff give Towles a try?

22. joker
    10:12 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Hell this looked just like last years offense. Whitlow rolling out and passsing over receivers heads. No running game to speak of.

23. Sea of Blue
    10:23 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Folks, this sucks out loud. I am as disappointed as I have ever been as a Kentucky fan. I am as disappointed as I was when we lost by 30 to Tennessee in basketball last year, and that came with a legitimate excuse.

To coach Stoops: Welcome to the SEC. You aren’t getting any passes from me, ever. I gave Joker Phillips a pass, and he made me look like a fool. I don’t care to be made a fool of again. Deliver, or lose me. It’s that simple. That may not be fair. Deal with it.

This was, in my view, an uncompetitive game. I am not accepting that game after game, especially to opponents who should be inferior. Do better.

24. Open week
    10:43 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Max will be fine this week. I think he is the one to run this offense. That said, when he gets hurt in the next 2-3 weeks we’re right back to Whitlow unless Towles can show the coaches some significant improvement. That’s our hope for improvement – keep Whitlow out of the QB position except for special packages – and keep him in the game as a threat. When Max goes down, bring in Towles and use Whitlow to help keep defenses honest. I really think that if Towles knows he is #2 he may grow up and realize the need to work harder on his weaknesses . DO NOT PULL THE RED SHIRT OFF REESE PHILLIPS, we need him for the future.

25. tippytoe
    11:05 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

Funkhouse, I have written all Summer and before the game, that for some reason Matt was in love with Whitlow. Now, he writes an article after the game saying that WE don’t know anything about football.
    I will say if that line does not get better, Max will get hurt again.

26. Cato
    11:57 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

QB play, and how each is limited, was not detrimental the other night. I believe Max Smith is the obvious choice at QB, I am very disappointed that it wasn’t blaringly obvious to the coaching staff, so-called experts, and many of the other fans that sort of jumped on the Whitlow bandwagon so easily. It’s like no one really watched any actual film on these guys and are relying solely on how they looked in practice. We talkin about practice.

We had a weak defensive showing against a Bobby Petrino coached team. Sound familiar? Western is better than credited at this moment. But, let’s be honest for a second, aren’t we exactly where we thought we would be? It looked like Joker ball because we’re still playing with his players. Just like when Tubby took over for Rick in basketball (only opposite). He won a championship with Rick’s players. We’re struggling with Joker’s players. It happens. I still believe that Mark Stoops will turn out to be one of the most revered football coaches in KY Football History. If he stays.

27. Sgt Jimmy
    12:21 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Stoops is 0-1, Blanton Collier Had a winning record after 8 years at UK and won the NFL Championship one year after he was fired. Least we mention Bear Bryant. The fan base that fuels the CULTURE at UK will prevent a consistent winner. Mark Stoops the most revered coach in UK history? This what is wrong with the fan base.

28. chardun
    3:57 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

If Max started the 2nd half, we might have had a chance to out score WKU.

29. JChapman
    5:39 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Wildcatsteeler and tippytoe hit the nail on the head. Matt reminded me an awful lot of one Mark Maggard telling us we don’t know anything about football. Remember it was Matt with the woody for Whitlow.