Why Eddie Gran Turned Down Georgia to Stay at UK

Shortly after Kentucky finished a ten-win season with a Citrus Bowl victory, the University of Georgia sought out the services of Eddie Gran.  UK’s offensive coordinator was courted by the Bulldogs, but ultimately decided to remain with the Kentucky football team.  For the first time, he explained why he stayed at UK.

“They offered the job,” he said after UK’s second spring practice.  “It came down down to, I love this community.  I love this administration, Dr. Capilouto and Mitch Barnhart. The guy that I work for is fantastic and I’ve become a part of this community.  I love it.  I think we’re doing some things that are special.  Those all had a part in the decision when I decided to stay.”

After they were denied, a few folks on the Georgia side contested whether or not Gran was actually offered the job, a fact Gran disputes.  Regardless, he’s happy to be back in Lexington for another season with the same offensive staff.  The continuity should pay dividends this fall.

“I think it’s huge,” said Gran.  “I think it’s huge in recruiting and the relationships you build.  For everybody being on the same page, you can go faster, and then if you have to add, you can add and it’s not so strenuous on everybody else. When you’re not teaching somebody a new offense, you can go pretty quick.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

31 Comments for Why Eddie Gran Turned Down Georgia to Stay at UK

1. StillBP
    11:10 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

I believe Gran. GA just salty about being jilted.

• mashburnfan1
      11:22 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

He never said they offered him the OC job, in fact the article and the response go out of the way to not mention what job was offered. Says they sought his services and he says he was offered the job. No mention of what job, I am sure they want him on the staff for his Florida recruiting. He was offered the job of the guy they promoted to OC. Funny they mention he is UK’s OC but not what job was offered so all will assume it was the OC job. They promoted their own guy the next day.

• ClutchCargo
      11:32 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think it really matters what job they offered, continuity of the UK staff is important. I’m interested to see what happens with the offense now that Wilson has a season under his belt and Gran doesn’t have Benny to lean on.

• mashburnfan1
      11:49 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

I agree with you Clutch just hate how KSR, and now Gran, are spinning this. Hard to have success changing coaches every year but last years success was in large part in spite of Gran. Seems like a great guy but there is no question even players questioned the play calls last year. Has a special defense, rb and run blocking Oline last year so we got by with the 2 yard sideways passing attack. Wilson looked good in the last Mizzou drive where he was just playing and not limited {I know 1 drive is not the tell all but is all we got to see}.

• Jiminy Crickets
      12:31 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

I agree it’s vague, but don’t you think if Gran and KSR we’re spreading lies, saying they wanted Gran as OC, but the day after he “turned it down” they promoted from within, meaning their guy was second choice, don’t you think UGA would come out and say “we didn’t offer Gran the OC job”?? The fact they haven’t, adds to the speculation they in fact did offer him the OC position

• Miller45
      3:35 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. The “shut up we went 10-3” people are dangerous

• Who cares which job he was offered? If I remember correctly, some UGA folks were claiming he wasn’t offered at all, no? Anyway, there is often hair-splitting done here. Kirby, or whomever, may have said “If I offered, would you accept?” A-HAAA! He didn’t actually OFFER!!! That happens all the time.

Plus (and I cited this when this whole thing blew up), CM Newton once said, when Hal Mumme was a hot property and LSU was supposedly after him, that a college will say “We never contacted him”, all thew while a headhunter DID contact either the AD or said coach for them.

• And BTW, I know UGA is a much more successful school at football, than us, but Gran gets paid plenty, he’s in the SEC, the program is hopefully still on the rise. Would you want to be a position coach instead of a coordinator, unless it was Bama or Clemson?

2. bbn606
    11:11 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

Keep building on what we had last year. I’m expecting overall improvement from the offense this year.

• IndianaSucks
      11:46 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

I sure hope you’re right but I’m not sure where that improved production is coming from.

• zoupman
      7:50 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

If Wilson can improve, Gran will look better. Wilson was the weak link. Let’s hope he gets better.

3. weneedpitino
    11:21 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

He turned down Georgia because Kentucky football is about to be a national power house, all thanks to Stoops and Gran as well. All players and coaches alike ae going to be trying to catch a ride on this train here before to long. I bet lane kiffin or someone like him would sale a kidney to be a part of this. Go Cats!!

• cats646
      11:31 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

How many accounts do you have on ksr?

• mashburnfan1
      11:44 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

maybe they will also sail a kidney. No chance he sells one though. DA

• makeitstop
      1:09 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

That was an intentional misspelling to make UK fans look stupid. Nice try.

• CatsandPats
      4:10 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

You assume that was misspelled until you check out the entire post and see this kids grammar is about as good as pitino’s reputation.

• ibescootch
      4:29 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

Your posts are dumb and pointless.

4. cats646
    11:30 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

I love the fact that he turned them down. And I really think gran is a good guy. So please for the love of everything that’s holy prove me wrong this year and make me believe that you’re a great coach!!
    Go cats!!!!

• Matt10
      12:27 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

Bingo

5. Bluebloodtoo
    11:32 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

Are you guys still trying to convince us that Georgia offered Gran? How did you get Gran in on this hoax? (Sarcasm)

6. UKDemarcusWall
    11:42 am March 5, 2019 Permalink

Seems like we forgot just how bad of a playcaller he is

7. Catlogic15
    12:18 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

I think Gran was limited by Stoops micro-management and Wilson’s talent.

• Miller45
      3:37 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

Well I think we risk the sabotage of a season with him calling the offense

8. makeitstop
    1:14 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

He is implicitly saying how limited he was last year: “when you are not teaching someone a new playbook you can go pretty quick.” Let’s see, who was learning a new playbook? That’s basically what we all said, Wilson used at best half the field. Stoops seemed to say yesterday how much progress he had made and Gran seems to be saying today they will go a lot quicker this year… but let’s see in September. It ain’t braggin’ if u do it.

9. UKfansNKY
    3:40 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

All I have to say offered or not, just glad you stayed with the CATS and the BBN Coach!

10. weneedpitino
    4:47 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

I have been waiting for years to start posting to this site, i used to read everyone’s comments and i didn’t decide to join in on the fun until just a couple of days ago, and boy i’m glad that i did. It’s fun to be a part of something, and by something i mean we all share one love and that is the Kentucky Wildcats. You guys and gals are like family, and i enjoy bantering back and forth with you all. You all give me your sound advice and opinions and i share mine right back with you all, my blue blood family. Go Cats, and go everyone in this awesome chatroom.

11. jaws2
    4:59 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

No need to suck up here, but if you still think we NEED Pimpino, you’re in the wrong place.

12. will1497
    5:50 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

I think Gran will start to open up playbook more next year with a second year of Terry…almost may be forced to with Benny leaving.

13. notFromhere
    8:08 pm March 5, 2019 Permalink

Glad he turned down a job offer from Georgia. Dont care what position it is/was. Just because they promoted their guy the next day after Gran turned down his offer from them doesn’t mean it wasnt OC. Georgia is still a step up… for now.

Glad you’re back, coach. Let’s make some strides

14. satcheluk
    9:02 pm March 7, 2019 Permalink

We have a lot of (unts as fans.