Your UK football stat of the day comes from The Cats’ Pause’s Jon Hale, who tells us that of the 56 players listed on UK’s Week 1 depth chart, only SEVEN have played in an SEC game UK won. Wow. That’s actually pretty depressing.
Surely that will change this season, right? Here’s the schedule:
|08/30/14||vs. UT Martin||Lexington, Ky.||12:00 p.m. ET|
|09/06/14||vs. Ohio||Lexington, Ky.||3:30 p.m. ET|
|09/13/14||at Florida||Gainesville, Fla.||7:30 p.m. ET|
|09/27/14||vs. Vanderbilt||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|10/04/14||vs. South Carolina||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|10/11/14||vs. ULM||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|10/18/14||at LSU||Baton Rouge, La.||TBA|
|10/25/14||vs. Mississippi State||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|11/01/14||at Missouri||Columbia, Mo.||TBA|
|11/08/14||vs. Georgia||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|11/15/14||at Tennessee||Knoxville, Tenn.||TBA|
|11/29/14||at Louisville||Louisville, Ky.||TBA|
Here are my picks UK’s best chances for a conference win, ranked from easiest to hardest:
1. Vanderbilt: Dores fans are still crying about James Franklin leaving, and although Derek Mason talks the talk, this game is in Commonwealth and by far UK’s best shot for a conference win.
2. @ Missouri: Picks 2-4 were tough for me, but Mizzou lost a lot of players and this could be a huge win for the Cats on the road.
3. @ Florida: Tradition says the Cats will fall on their faces in the Swamp. The game is already circled in Will Muschamp’s calendar because if the Gators lose, he’ll probably be fired. However, this is the game for this young squad to show that the old Kentucky football is gone, and if the offense is running on all cylinders heading into Gainesville, I like the Cats’ chances for an upset.
4. Mississippi State: This is a trendy upset pick because the Cats hung with the Bulldogs last year in Starkville; however, I’m not as eager to jump on the bandwagon as others. Mississippi State returns most of their starters and will be very good this year. But, UK always plays them competitively and the game is in Commonwealth, so we’ll see.
5. @ Tennessee: Tradition doesn’t bode well for the Cats in Neyland either, and they’ll be coming off a bruising game against Georgia.
6. South Carolina: I’ve noticed a lot of people picking this as an upset special for Kentucky. I’m not sure why. South Carolina is right up there with Georgia as the elite in the East, and Spurrier is still Spurrier.
7. Georgia: I wish, but no.
8. @ LSU: Again, I really wish, but no, especially in Death Valley. Tailgating will be nice, though.