What they’re saying about the 29-game streak

It wouldn’t be Florida week without talk of that damn streak that’s approaching its 30th year this season. Mark Stoops addressed it on today’s SEC teleconference and they’re talking about it down in Gainesville, too.

Here’s a rundown of some of the streak talk from the week:

Stoops-usa-today

Mark Stoops:

“I think each season each and every team is totally different from another. The fact that we played Florida well the past two games and the fact the we played them well two years ago when we went down there means nothing to us. I’m concerned about our games and you look at the mistakes and the tendencies that you’ve played with, but the past 30 years have nothing to do with us and this team. Really not concerned with it at all. We’re really worried about this week. We have enough to worry about with Kentucky and our team and getting any mistakes cleaned up and technique, assignments cleaned up and just work on ourselves. We know we’re playing a very good team. To answer your question, no, we’re not worried about the last 30 years. No.”

Jim McElwain, Florida head coach:

“Well it’s there. The biggest piece to me is, that was done by teams before. As I told them last year, they had a chance going into The Swamp. There was a questionable piece to that – I don’t know which way it went, I wasn’t here – and then last year we had to play our tails off against them. So the streak thing? I think it’s something to write about but every year is different. Right now it’s 0-0. These two teams have never played.”

Jarrad Davis, Florida linebacker:

“I really don’t think about the winning streak that much, to be honest with you. We don’t really talk about it much either. We just know that, whoever our next opponent is, that is our most important game. We’ll just go at it like we haven’t seen it before.

“They’re a very good team. They’ve got a lot of good athletes… These past couple of years they’ve really been showing up. Usually watching Kentucky games, you don’t really want to watch it that much, but now they’re really exciting to watch. I really like sitting down and watching them play.”

Drew Franklin, KentuckySportsRadio.com:

“Beat Florida. Please, for the love of God, beat Florida.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for What they’re saying about the 29-game streak

1. secrick
    3:13 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

I never say the f word unless i’m watching KY play football and then it comes out way to often, please help me stop saying the f word and win. Of course the f word is FOOTBALL. Just kidding.

2. Craig Sagers Suits
    3:38 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

Florida’s side is just being nice in this article, because we all know this not a good football team as stated by Mr. Davis and Stoops is just in plain denial. Most would and probably should argue that the streak should have been over 2 years ago, but either inept officiating or some serious home cooking prevented that, but that’s neither here nor there, now. Either way, I’m not sure UK will pull it off this year.

3. memphis
    3:53 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

The streak will end when we least expect it. And when it does end, I want my great-grandchildren to head over to my grave and tell me about it.

• Sentient Third Eye
      4:03 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

I think you are on to something with it ending when we least expect it. However, expectations are pretty low right now, and that gives me hope. For that reason, I will NOT pick the Cats, in hopes of gaming the system by reducing expectations to the lowest possible level. This may be as low as expectations ever get, so it’s probably our best chance (but you didn’t hear me say that).

4. Catlogic15
    4:05 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

What they’re really saying about the 29 game streak:
    “It will be 30”.

5. UKBlueGreen
    4:18 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

Why Not?

6. Bluebros
    4:19 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

A good poll question. What would you consider a more successful season, beating Florida & Louisville and finishing with 5 wins or losing both games but winning 6 and going to a bowl?

I’d pick wins over Fla & Louisville all day long! Lets make it happen boys

• 502CodeRed
      4:32 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

30 in a row by Florida and 6 in a row by Louisville.
      Maybe someday the stars will align though.

• dbwill
      4:36 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

I’ll take winning 6 and going to a bowl. If we win 6 but still lose to Florida and Louisville then that means would have had to win one against Georgia, @ Tennessee or even GASP! @ Alabama

• Ken Kratz
      6:33 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

dbwill – we can start 0-2, lose to UGA/ Bama/ UL/ UT, and still go to bowl.

7. winagain1
    12:08 am September 8, 2016 Permalink

Seeing your cousin who is 6 foot 2 in an American flag shirt and hat flipped backwards and huge smile??
    Priceless. Go my man! And btw.. How tall are those other dudes?

8. madarchitect
    11:59 am September 8, 2016 Permalink

Rule #8d of the American flag code :

“The American flag should never be worn as apparel…”