What the heck is going on at Tennessee?

Last night, rumors circled about some major drama going down with the Tennessee football program. There were multiple reports on social media that the Vols held a team meeting, during which several players quit, and this morning, it looks like there is some substance to this. Tennessee radio host Jimmy Hyams is citing sources that say star running back Jalen Hurd told his teammates last night that he plans to transfer and play wide receiver or tight end at a new school.

Additionally, defensive lineman Jonathan Kongo put up this cryptic tweet about hanging up his cleats:

Kongbo was a prized JuCo transfer that was expected to make a huge impact for Tennessee this fall, but has failed to live up to expectations thus far.

Suddenly this sign from Tennessee’s GameDay last month seems pretty ironic:

Here, let me fix that for you…

atleastwearenttn

UPDATE: Butch Jones has confirmed that Hurd will transfer.

23 Comments for What the heck is going on at Tennessee?

1. Mathlete
    10:18 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

This is officially the weirdest year in sports I can remember.

FYI – Last time we beat UT in Knoxville was 1984… I’m not sayin, I’m just sayin.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:23 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Welp, I believe we have just the type of squad to add to their misery, so let’s get to it. Karma is indeed a bitch, and I don’t mean the kind the players are accustomed to abusing without consequences.

3. ukjaybrat
    10:27 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

If Jalen Hurd really wants to stick it to UT, he can come suit of for the Blue and White. We could always use another breakout wide receiver.

• Booby Petrino
      3:03 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

can’t Jones stop him from being able to transfer to another SEC school?

• Luether
      9:25 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

We’ll even give Tenn Elam for Hurd…

4. runningunnin.454
    10:49 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Ripe for picking.

5. BluKudzu
    10:50 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Butch Jones has always billed himself as a player’s coach. He successfully recruited JJ Watts at CMU, which then transferred elsewhere for not being used correctly and favoritism amongst some other players.
    This summer, during volunteer practices and conditioning, several players never showed up, and that created a divisiveness amongst the team.
    Not surprised in players quitting and going elsewhere. Just a matter of time before Butch is gone too.

6. Jiminy Crickets
    11:07 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Butch Jones is a douch, always has been. Nothing makes me happier than seeing him fall apart

7. rickwhitetx
    11:33 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

Georgia’s not that great this year.
    Tennessee appears to be a mess of epic proportions.
    Florida still has to play at Arkansas and LSU.
    Alabama still has to play LSU and Auburn.
    Is it possible that the Cats could end up playing LSU in Catlanta?
    Is it possible for the Cats to beat LSU?
    Can anyone imagine New Orleans on January 2nd?

One can dream.

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

With all due respect, pass the bong! That is one good dream! 😀

Selfishly, I don’t really want to see ‘Bama moving out of the #1 spot prior to the playoff selection. If they do, that could make room for L’Ville to sneak in there. We would never hear the end of that. Wouldn’t mind seeing someone like Washington win the national championship instead of ‘Bama, though.

• Booby Petrino
      12:02 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

that’s quite a dream lol

• Booby Petrino
      12:03 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

no way we would beat LSU. We’ll be lucky if we win out in the SEC. I love the Cats but let’s not get too crazy here.

• ukjaybrat
      1:54 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

1) bama isn’t losing anything.
      2) the rest isn’t a pipe dream, but still a long shot.

8. rickwhitetx
    11:35 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

The last time UK was in the Sugar Bowl they beat Oklahoma.
    66 years later …

9. keiths
    11:49 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

A lifelong friend of mine had a son play for Jones at Cincinnati. My friend said he was the BIGGEST prick ever. Every parent was glad to see him go

10. Sentient Third Eye
    11:56 am October 31, 2016 Permalink

I knew what kind of man Butch Jones was when he verbally attacked a player for trying to speak up for a victim that his UT teammates raped.

11. RealCatsFan
    12:02 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

So if Petrino gets caught with his pecker hanging out again and is forced out at UofL, do they go after Jones next? Sounds like a perfect fit!

12. gokycats33
    12:16 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

That last pic reminds me of a t-shirt that I have. It has a picture of the state of Kentucky, then it says underneath it: “At least we aren’t Tennessee”

13. Lip Man 1
    12:26 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

Tennessee has also been gutted by injuries from what I read.

14. secrick
    12:41 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

Lets beat em . I believe we could win all 4 games left on the schedule and think we could lose 3 of them but i least i think we have a chance to win all 4 and when have we been able to think that.

• Duuuuuude
      1:04 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

If you can’t believe that, then it makes it incredibly difficult to be a fan.

15. A_Blue_Wildcat
    1:47 pm October 31, 2016 Permalink

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I’d rather have Kentucky football and Kentucky basketball than have Tennessee football and Tennessee basketball.