What Kaiya Sheron’s Commitment Means to Kentucky

@kaiyasheron2

@kaiyasheron2

Mark Stoops and Darin Hinshaw secured the commitment from 2021 QB Kaiya Sheron on Monday. The Somerset Briar Jumper’s pledge ensures that a strong quarterback room remains stout for the future. It also gives the Cats an in-state recruiter for a pivotal year in the Commonwealth’s recruiting landscape.

In addition to actively securing future teammates, Sheron’s status as a prospect would rise if game film was actually a determining factor. In other words, don’t be misled by the 3-star ranking. The kid’s a gamer; an alpha-competitor and a leader.

Sheron is Kentucky’s fourth commitment in the class of 2021, joining the likes of William Mason (Ohio) offensive tackle Paul Rodriguez, Stow (Ohio) Walsh Jesuit offensive lineman David Wohlabaugh, Dublin (Ohio) Coffman linebacker Devon Williams.

The state of Kentucky has several big-time, uncommitted players in the Class of 2021 starting with fellow Somerset area prospect Tristan Cox. Frederick Douglass’s Jager Burton and Dekel Crowdus are top priorities to keep in Lexington. North Hardin’s Lavell Wright and Jordan Lovett are elite players from Andre Woodson’s alma mater near Fort Knox. Bowling Green’s Jordan Dingle and South Warren’s Jantzen Dunn are both national level prospects. Much like 2020; 2021 in-state recruiting is going to be a battleground for college football coaches.

I was on the call in the booth for the Somerset-Mayfield state championship game which means that I studied Sheron. I was impressed with his leadership, poise, and production. He carries himself like a winner. The junior led the Jumpers on a last minute drive that resulted in a touchdown and the school’s first title. There was no question that Sheron was in full control for that drive. He showed next level composure on Kentucky high school football’s biggest stage.

Sheron’s junior season numbers are impressive. He passed for 3,218 yards while rushing for 960 and a combined 36 touchdowns. At 6’4,”  200 pounds, he possesses a preferred frame for a college signal caller. His arm strength is college ready. He can make all the throws in the passing tree. Sheron’s junior season statistics were notable. However, I’d argue that his best football is ahead of him. Coach Robbie Lucas has been great for his development. In what promises to be a heated in-state recruiting year, Mark Stoops struck first in the Commonwealth.

Article written by Freddie Maggard

Former University of Kentucky Quarterback and Andy Griffith Fan Club President

11 Comments for What Kaiya Sheron’s Commitment Means to Kentucky

1. JASUN74
    6:19 pm March 24, 2020 Permalink

Can’t wait for him to get started here. I’d imagine by the time he does get here he’ll be around 220 or so and maybe even 6’5. He’s got everything we want as the future quarterback of Kentucky and I’m proud he’s going to be a Cat.

2. Daddyof3Ballers
    6:41 pm March 24, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of the Somerset area….what about the Sloan kid down that way? I saw he had some crazy #’s this year

• meeksfor3
      9:12 am March 25, 2020 Permalink

Sloan is legit. He is around 6’1″ and 195 lbs with room to grow because he is only 17. I saw a video the other day of him bench pressing 315 lbs. He is fast but has the vision and patience to wait for a hole to open. When it does he has a burst of speed to get through it. He just has some stuff that can’t be taught. I would love to see him in UK blue but it sure isn’t looking like it will happen.

• Daddyof3Ballers
      10:39 am March 25, 2020 Permalink

At that size and strength he could play any position right? WR, DB, RB…..do u knw his 40 time?

3. SuperTroy18
    8:06 pm March 24, 2020 Permalink

Man…this staff just CONTINUES to crush it in recruiting. Only gonna get better and better!

4. millertim
    10:26 am March 25, 2020 Permalink

If he passes Freddie’s evaluation, then he must be a gamer!! Kudos again to UK staff for getting a homegrown talent!!

5. meeksfor3
    3:15 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

I think I heard that it is around a 4.4 40 yard dash.

6. meeksfor3
    3:27 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

Actually I found an article where he ran a 4.55 40 at U of L’s camp so not as fast as I thought but still pretty decent. Benny was around 4.65 so just a bit quicker than Benny. He puts me in mind of, not saying he is as good as, Emmitt Smith as far as his running style. He doesn’t have super run away from you speed but is very patient waiting for the line to open the hole and then has really good burst speed to get through. Once he does a guy who is blazing fast can run him down but getting him down is a different story.

7. meeksfor3