As the Florida game progressed, I realized more and more that next weekend’s matchup against New Mexico State may be an empty one. Fans all over social media, message boards, and call-in radio shows have announced their protest of the Kentucky football program until a major change is made, opting for staying at home against the Aggies this Saturday rather than spending another dime on this team.

After an ugly loss, fans always have the “take my ball and go home” mentality, but this week may be different. There is genuine hate towards the coaching staff right now coming from former players and fans, and the ship may be sinking.

Fans are calling for Mitch Barnhart, Mark Stoops, and DJ Eliot’s jobs, the torches and pitch forks are out.

All in all, it’s ugly.

During Joker Phillips’ final year at Kentucky, the Vanderbilt game was the final blow in fans jumping off the Titanic. Though UK announced the attendance at roughly 44,900, it was reported that just under 19,000 fans were actually in seats (as you can tell in the picture above). Those who actually put themselves through that travesty sure witnessed a spectacle, where Kentucky lost the matchup 40-0.

Though the Vandy game was in November of 2012, and Joker Phillips had been on the hot seat for several weeks at that point, we’re seeing similar criticism of the coaching staff, sparking the question:

How will Saturday’s attendance against New Mexico State compare to Vanderbilt in 2012?

Personally, I believe a good chunk of fans will stand by their protests, and attendance will be down for the game. I’m expecting roughly 35,000 in seats, mostly because they have so much time and money invested in the program this early in the season that they’re not willing to give up all hope just yet. Put up a dud against New Mexico St.? Then you’re talking about major problems in the immediate future.

Let’s just hope we see some success next Saturday.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

18 Comments for What do you expect the attendance numbers to look like against New Mexico State?

1. UKPROF
    8:15 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

It will look a lot like the picture you have posted. I wish there was a way to show support to the players without showing support for the coaches. I’ve already attended my last home game until Stoops and his Merry Men have departed.

• ukforthewin
      8:49 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Why support the people losing the games? I always love when people act like this is middle school football. They are 18-23 years old. Old enough to smoke, drink, vote, be drafted. They can be criticized for being losers.

2. Souf beach Lou
    8:37 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Fire Mitch Barnhart, keep Stoops and make him suffer, let him coach out his contract and thoroughly embarrass himself. Then hire Neal Brown from Troy.

• ukforthewin
      8:50 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Neal would never take the UK job. All smart coaches know UK is a coach killer.

3. Tej
    8:39 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I support the players and I hope the coaching staff turns it around although that appears to be a remote possibility at best. I hope there are not people booing at the game because that’s dumb. These are college kids who I think are giving their best. There are recruits in attendance. I’m sure the staff and the AD are aware of the pressure they’re under. TheAD isn’t going to make any changes until the season is over, and he shouldn’t. Although unlikely, we could salvage a respectful rest of the year. It serves no purpose to fire a coach after 2 games. You are not going to get another coach to talk with you at this point.

• ukforthewin
      8:51 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

The recruits don’t care about Booing. They care about winning. They will be jumping of this sinking ship in droves.

4. BLUEsky
    8:42 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I understand everyone’s frustration to a degree. But this is just an example of the pathetic world we live in. The season is just getting started and some fans are ready to throw everyone under the bus. This is my last post on the topic. Just going to sit back and see what happens. If I were a religious person in practice I would say a prayer for the coaches and players right about now. Maybe it would help if the AD would address the fan base and ask them to be positive and let the season play itself out. I really don’t know. But one thing I do know is that what is going on right now makes me sick to the stomach on all fronts.

5. shelby
    8:43 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think it’ll be awful; be fun to watch these kids win and get up and down the field — which they should do this week. Keep n mind we have a bad South Carolina team after this one; SC would’ve lost to Florida as badly as we did. Getting some confidence against NMst will really help this young team. I believe there are still 6 winnable games left. Just need some confidence. Don’t quit on these kids. They want to win more than anybody.

• ukforthewin
      8:52 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

They aren’t kids. They are 18-23 year old loser-adults. They should have picked a winning program if they wanted people to like and support them. Then again, if they went to a winning program, it might not be winning too much longer.

6. ukforthewin
    8:53 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

UK Big Board Update, is UofL better at football than UK yet? Just checking!

• RealCatsFan
      7:40 am September 12, 2016 Permalink

Cats paw, is that you? Or is it fbi informant, or one of your many other aliases?

I’m about ready to move on to a different AD and coaching staff too, but saying the players shouldn’t have come to UK is asinine at best. You must be a UL fan. I heard Bobby is looking for someone to ride with him on his new Harley. You should go.

7. 3 fan
    8:57 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

There will be less than 20,000 there but UK will announce 50,000

• ukforthewin
      9:07 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Coach Petrino said you can all come to Louisville vs FSU to watch a couple real football teams play. You can’t pretend to be southern though; sorry, it’s a disgusting affectation.

8. BLUEsky
    9:22 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I wouldn’t watch Petrino if he were coaching in the last football game to be played on the face of the earth. But that’s just me. No offense to the L’Ville players.

• ukforthewin
      9:29 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Why? Cause he lied about an affair? He’s a football coach, not a priest.

9. BLUEsky
    9:48 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

No, because he is a classless jerk who likes to run up the score on his opponents like Spurrier. Any other questions?

• stoopstroops
      9:55 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I agree. As a fan I want to win as many games as possible but I would not cross the line of hiring a coach with a troubled past. He’s a terrible human being.

10. scottfarkus01
    3:04 pm September 12, 2016 Permalink

At least we get to drink beer at the game now….er wait….can we?