We’re going to Ypsilanti in 2019!!!

Kentucky football booked a new three-game deal with Eastern Michigan for head-to-head contests in 2017, 2019 and 2020. FBSchedules.com learned of the new series through an open records request to EMU.

The first game of the series will be in Lexington on September 30, 2017.

Kentucky will then travel to Eastern Michigan on September 7, 2019, two seasons later, for a true road test in lovely Ypsilanti.

The Eagles will return to Commonwealth for the third and final game of the series on September 5, 2020.

According to FBSchedules.com, there are separate contracts for the series. The first game will cost UK a $1.2 million guarantee; the 2019 and 2020 games will be treated like a home-and-home deal.

Article written by Drew Franklin

42 Comments for We’re going to Ypsilanti in 2019!!!

1. JRWHenderson
    4:13 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Drew,

PLEASE search for google images of the ypsilanti water tower! I was actually in that town last year about this time with a group of college students. They could not stop laughing or taking pictures.

2. HeshimuMeansWarrior
    4:16 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

ip-suh-lan-tee, yer welcome.

• Captain Obvious
      4:53 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

No shit?

• EllisCat
      6:50 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Puhhh-leese, Franklin is acting excited about this because this is the best we could do given our program history. No way a decent power 5 would schedule us for a home and home unless they are forced to (L’ville).

6:54 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Sooo, this is what we do to try to one up Louisville announcing neutral site season opener bowl games against auburn, Purdue, and Alabama? We schedule a home and home with a mid major?

• JrSanchez
      6:59 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Guess you gotta do something when you are the third best program in your own state. With 6 straight losses within the last 4 years to the two big hitters in your state (Louisville and wku), some wins have to come from somewhere, right?

• Dude
      7:50 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

We can’t all play in the AAC…. uh, I mean the ACC.

• Dude
      7:59 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

wkat: “One up Louisville”? LOL. We play two of the the three you mentioned IN OUR CONFERENCE.

Can that fanbase be any more retarded?

Good luck in those games, though. 3-0!!! 😉

9:09 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Dude,

“We LOSE to two of those you mentioned regularly IN OUR CONFERENCE” -fixed that for you. The point is UK isn’t scheduling any other power 5’s. Louisville is power 5 and playing other power 5s.

• Liberty!
      9:50 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

UK has the 6th toughest schedule in the country, UL 47th.

• Dude
      10:21 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Ah, like FIU when you played them in Miami? LOL

10:33 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Liberty!,
      Now that is interesting… I just looked it up and the post season rankings for the 2014-2015 season has Louisville with 9 wins as the 22nd toughest schedule in the country and Kentucky with 5 wins as the 25th toughest schedule in the country.

• Dude
      10:36 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Don’t get your rankings from CardChronicle……… They’re full of shit over there.

• Dude
      10:37 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Have a good night!

#L0PR4

10:51 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Dude,
      Not like at KSR where facts are optional right?
      Post season rankings are the only one that matter, FYI. Anything prior is just speculation. This is calculated AFTER the season which matters. But even if your numbers are right… Kentucky got 5 wins with the 25th toughest schedule… Good luck with no. 6 in the country buddy 😉 back to 2 win seasons for you. Wake me up when your program wins another in conference game.

• Dude
      11:23 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

UofL’s probably went up after they got bludgeoned by Georgia. There’s pro’s and con’s to playing in tough football conferences.

Remember, you all almost dropped three games, two of which were ACC schools. And the ACC is a basketball conference. Everyone knows that. Be thankful. Good luck versus Auburn. 😉

Puerto Rico sucks at basketball, by the way.

11:40 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Lol. You are pretty funny man. They at least put up a fight against Georgia with their 3rd string QB (The same one they beat uk with for the 4th time in a row). First year in a power 5, entirely new coaching staff, no options at QB after one of the best in program history goes on to become the franchise option for an NFL team… By all means, it was a rebuilding year. At 9 wins, and being literally 2 plays away from having 2 more wins, I’d say it was an all around success.
      I can agree with you that the ACC is the by far the best basketball conference in the country (compared to the SEC maybe being the 7th best), but it is power 5 for a reason. With teams like florida state (national champs a year ago), Georgia tech, Clemson, Miami when they are good, and Pitt if they can get good again.. The ACC is certainly no push over. In fact, I think the ACC swept the SEC in head to heads last year if my memory serves me right.
      When Louisville is where they should be, they beat Florida in the sugar bowl, a team UK hasn’t beaten in like 4 decades.

11:57 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

This compared to kentucky’s only in conference win in the last 4 years being at home against an unranked South Carolina team that has been increasingly worse in recent years and by all means is in a down period. Most interesting point, South Carolina was gonna win until spurrier out coached himself and called a pass that got intercepted when he had been running it down kentucky’s throat all night and was about to score again. 4 years and 1 in conference win… Unreal. Is that the kind of con you were referring to? And Kentucky rushed the field for an unranked team, just… wow…

• Dude
      12:32 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Ummm, I don’t think ACC swept SEC in head to head matchups – Georgia, remember? (And I wouldn’t call 37-14 “putting up a fight” either. Their RB put 266 yards up alone). USC was preseason ranked 19th – thats 6 spots ahead of your preseason ranking currently; don’t get ahead of yourself just yet.

I also don’t think any Cat fan will argue that we have sucked for a long time. You visit this site and listen to the show enough, obviously, to know that. I’m not understanding what you are trying to convince us of, other than the obvious. But we are getting recruits, good ones. We just have to wait and see if our coaching staff can develop them, and come up with the right gameplan to win. THATS rebuilding.

If you want to call it a rebuilding year with Charlie Strong recruits and 12 players drafted, then you call it whatever you want to help you feel better about your season. We still almost had you, at home, you lost to Virginia, let Wake hang around in a truly ugly game, and got lucky vs a pretty bad ND team.

I guess my question is this: If we’re so bad, and you’re so good, why are you here? LOL Nothing better to do? If you’re not careful, people will start to think you look scared. I mean, you said all that above about how much we suck…. what if we BEAT you. Hell, Vegas had us FAVORED not too long ago.

Oh, and congrats on finally landing in a P5 conference. It only took you 100 years to get there. 😉

10:38 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Perhaps you misunderstood.. The ACC swept the SEC in head to head matchups as far as rivalry games and in state competition (ie Louisville beat Kentucky, Clemson beat South Carolina, Georgia tech best Georgia, Florida state best Florida, etc.)
      And Louisville did a heck of a lot better gainst Georgia than Kentucky did.. They put up 63 points in commonwealth. It still proves that that Louisville’s defense was much better. Georgia scored very late after it was clear they had won and still only put up 37 on an elite defense. But 63 points at home?! Jeeze. The fact that Louisville scored twice on them with a 3rd string QB isn’t too shabby. Imagine what Louisville will do with that elite defense once they get that 4/5 star Georgia QB on campus and under petrino… Ouch. I WOULD call it putting up a fight because it was much more than what Kentucky did.
      And for the record, no.. I don’t listen to the show.. But I’m here because it is hilarious. You guys get excited for signing a mid major to a home and home when you can’t even beat the 2nd best team in your own state (WKU). Why not try playing them again? Lol.
      And scared? Haha… Well, considering Louisville is “little brother” wouldn’t you expect me to be scared? No… I’m just one commenter, why does ksr write a daily article about Louisville? Because it is the Kentucky fan base that is scared of Louisville. You are darn right louisville just entered the power 5 and they are darn proud of it. It is a program that has done way more with way less for decades.. Now that “little brother” is on an even playing field.. That terrifies UK fans.
      Besides, UK has been in a power five for decades and has a massive losing record against every team in the conference except Vanderbilt who is split right down the middle. UK shares the position of doormat to the sec. So, I wouldn’t be bragging about actual time in the conference friend.

10:43 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Also, I’m not seeing any rebuilding going on since last I saw a major analysis has UK listed at 4 wins this season. Actually holding onto those recruits is what matters.. After UK goes on another big string of losses, just like last season.. Most of those players will decommit and go elsewhere and stoops will be trying to find anybody to fill those spots. That’s not rebuilding, that is trying to stay afloat.
      And I wouldn’t exactly call a ranked notre dame team bad. Sure, they weren’t as good as their previous 5 rankings.. But they were ranked.

• theWilkman
      10:46 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

I like how Wkat tried to start out pretending to be a UK fan but dropped the act by his second post.

If UL is so great, why are you here? Why do you care about a UK fan site? Does it make you feel like a big boy to post on KSR? The fact that you spend even a minute of your day arguing with UK fans on a UK site in a post that has nothing to do with UL proves your reasoning and decision making skills are so poor, all of your arguments are nullified.

11:21 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Because you all are hilarious!! That’s why. Lol. It’s sad almost. I mean seriously, what other fanbase in America would start getting excited because of a home and home series with a mid major?! Haha.
      I’m just one guy… The KSR organization posts 1 or 2 articles about Louisville a day… As far as I’m concerned, this is also a Louisville site. At the very least, y’all are absolutely obsessed with us.

• theWilkman
      3:08 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Who was getting excited? They must not teach reading comprehension at UofL, if you even graduated from there. Try combing through Drew’s post – if it hurts your brain too much, feel free to take frequent breaks – and point out to me the excitement.

Obsession is spending time on a rival’s website posting half-assed troll comments in threads that have nothing to do with your own team. Maybe you ought to look at the URL of this site?

I don’t blame you for coming here to get your Louisville news, though. It’s true that Matt and Co. are better informed about the Cards than the sites that cover them exclusively. Maybe one day UofL will have a fan base that’s large enough to support something like KSR.

11:53 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Lol… The wilkman… You are cute dude, you know that? Like the majority of UK fans, I doubt you ever even attended the school. Its a fact that most of uks fanbase isn’t even college educated.
      And apparently you are the one that needs the reason comprehension couse their buddy, he used MULITPLE exclamation marks in the title… Oh, sorry.. You don’t know what that is, it’s those things that look like a period but they have a longer mark on top and indicate excitement. That’s alright buddy.
      Since I know you will be tuning in cause you probably have nothing better to do with your life, you’ll see half the Atlanta dome packed with red just like the sugar bowl was. It was exclaimed by many at Norte dame that they had never seen so many fans of the opposing team take over their stadium like the cards do… So I don’t think you have much room to talk about the size of fan base.. Maybe if your team won every once in a while some fans might show up sometime buddy. I still remember those pictures of a half empty commonwealth stadium in the middle of an SEC matchup a couple of seasons ago XD you guys don’t even fill your OWN stadium.. So you had to reduce seating!! Bahaha..

• theWilkman
      10:31 am August 14, 2015 Permalink

I did graduate from UK, actually. Where did you get your degree from? No, not GED. College degree.

And again, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. Those three exclamation points you speak of, that’s called sarcasm. Maybe after you’ve finished 2-3 whole books (not Dr. Seuss, not the back of a pack of black and milds) you’ll understand the term and be able to identify it in context. Maybe not, though.

The UK fanbase is larger than that of UL. That’s a fact, just like Lexington is East of Louisville. It’s cute that many at Notre Dame “exclaimed” that about UofL, but it doesn’t have any bearing on my original point. The way an argument works, when someone makes a point, you counter it. So by me saying “Maybe one day UofL will have a fan base that’s large enough to support something like KSR” you should respond with a link to a great UL site that UK fans camp out on, or maybe a link to the ratings on a Cards local radio show. Granted, I know those things don’t exist, that’s why I made my original point.

Thanks for continuing to prove how sad and delusional the Cardinal fanbase is.

11:59 am August 14, 2015 Permalink

Well, buddy… I live in Eastern ky and meet UK fans everyday and I am YET to meet one that actually attended the school (or any school past middle for that matter). If you did in fact graduate from UK (which I still highly doubt. And NO, your local community college branch accredited by UK doesn’t count, little guy) you would literally be the first UK that actually attended the school that I’ve ever spoken to. In fact, it was proven not too long ago by that article not too long ago that stated UK had more sidewalk fans (non college graduates) than any fanbase in the country. Shouldn’t be too hard to find if indeed you actually did go to college…
      And sarcasm?!… Bahaha.. Nice one man, you really are a hoot you know that? Trying to change meaning for someone else’s article. It was VERY clear he was pretty excited about this series, so stop fooling yourself. So delusional. Maybe once you do learn how to read, you will figure out when sarcasm is actually used.
      You know good and well that Louisville has multiple sports boards (which are trolled endlessly by UK Fans, and a massively popular radio show on an ESPN network on an fm station. More than UK has, there is your counter point. With all your talk of points and counter points… I still haven’t heard any excuses on why UK can’t even fill half of their own home stadium and recently had to spend millions to reduce its size? XD kind of negates your point there buddy.

• theWilkman
      3:21 pm August 14, 2015 Permalink

If I’m “literally” the “first UK” that you’ve ever spoken to that graduated there, you either don’t understand what the word literally means, or…no that’s the only explanation. I see you conveniently ignore the question of where you got your GED/degree. As for your article that proves anything about UK fans and if they are graduates or not, wheres that link? I see articles referencing Texas and Notre Dame, but no Kentucky. And if by your reasoning you have to have graduated from a school to be a fan, then I win again, because UK enrolls over 28,000 a year, UL 22,000. So each year we get 6000 more fans, using your method. Therefore our fanbase is bigger.

And yes, the exclamation points were sarcasm. I know context and comprehension are hard for you, your posts keep showing me that, but Drew’s post shows no excitement about the games whatsoever. The title, to contrast that, has 3 exclamation points. Feigning excitement over something boring is sarcasm.

Finally, no I do NOT know that UL has multiple sports boards. I’ve spent exactly 0 minutes of my life researching Louisville related message boards. Point me to a free-standing, UL only website that gets even 25% the traffic KSR does, and I’ll point you to the place you should be spending your time. And as for reducing the number of seats, so? We reduced our seating but still seat 6000 more than Papa John’s. You lose again.

Thanks for the entertainment. The depth of Cardinal fan delusion is always fun to see close up.

5:53 pm August 14, 2015 Permalink

For your information, since you MUST know… I am still in high school in eastern ky. BUT, I have EVERY intention on going to UofL. That very fact should scare people like you.. We are popping up in pockets all over the state. There are Kids that don’t want to be a UK fan just because their parents that never attended college are… And, in fact, we actually want to root for a team right here in our very state that actually wins in ALL sports. Across the last 4 seasons UofL has been ranked in the top 25 in 5 different money making sports (football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball, soccer) while UK is ranked in 1 sport when they aren’t in the NIT. These things are making an impact on people like me and my friends. I’m going to graduate with three friends that are set on going to Louisville with me.
      And Kentucky very much so is in the top 10 of sidewalk fans… Apparently your (community college) degree didn’t teach you anything about basic research. ALL I did was type in “side walk fans” and this came up. You’re welcome. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/2/8622799/college-fans-facebook-sidewalk-alumni
      And no, I know exactly what literally means. Like what the article says… In my town I have NEVER met or spoken to a UK fan that has actually went to the school, and there are plenty here. Trust me. So apparently your limited education hasn’t prepared you for the word literally and its meaning.
      Those numbers are like dinosaur bones.. Talk to me in ten years. Louisville has been growing exponentially (that means a lot, buddy) in the last decade. New dorms are going up all the time. UL will probably have more students on campus than UK in the next decade or two so just bank on it. I’ve been looking, no sign of real growth in Lexington pal.
      And you really are dense, you know that? He was not writing an article for sarcasm.. Stop trying to justify UK’s failing programs in your own mind. In drews little simple mind he was sincerely thinking this was a good thing. Probably like much of the fanbase since you guys can’t win anything. Seriously? Only 1 in conference win in 4 years? That’s just embarrassing buddy. Meanwhile the cards beat #3 ranked Florida to win a BCS sugar bowl? That’s the same Florida that has laid the wood on UK for going on 4 decades. Cheer up buddy.
      Louisville has plenty of boards that do just as well, if not better than KSR. You guys sure mention them enough in articles and comments.. Funny thing. And UK fans troll them by the dozens, so I’d say the average UK fan is quite aware of Louisvolle boards. But, if what you say is true… Your ignorance doesn’t mean they don’t exist. How can you claim numbers on boards when you claim to not know of any.. You are so full of it.
      And it’s quite cute that UK fans think that reducing the seating doesn’t matter in the long run. As you may or may not know.. UL has been working on an expansion for a while and are actually putting plans together as we speak. So, in the next 3 years Louisville will by far have the largest stadium in the state, fitting considering the actual product on the field for the two programs. Enjoy your extra 6,000 butt spots on BLEACHERS (UL has all chairBack seating) while you have them buddy 😉

3. Cade
    4:22 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

They also have gray turf at their stadium, makes it look like they’re playing on a gravel field

4. Drew
    4:29 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

As a person who was born in Ypsilanti, went to 7 years of school in Ann Arbor, and is a lifelong UK fan, the last thing I ever thought I would ever see on this sight was a picture of Depot Town and a declaration stating that we’re going to Ypsitucky. Lord help us.

5. Kyblue34
    5:02 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

So, Eastern Michigan is getting $1.2 million and then a home game as well. Why?

6. Jame223
    5:45 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Don’t understand this one……

7. Gary Willis
    6:06 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Take it from a guy that has been there more than once . Do not rent a car , rent a truck ! Go to Lucille’s ! You will not need to take a gun or knife ! They will loan you one at the door . Speaking of the doors . Every door in the place has a fiat hole in it ! Last but not least do not wear nice shoes . Parking lot is like a creek without any fish . Ok now pack your bags !!!!

8. Sam
    6:46 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Uhhhmm… Am I supposed to be excited about this? Considering drew’s overuse of the exclamation mark I will assume so, but, I just don’t get it. We are essentially doing a home and home with mid major. Playing this team in a home and home doesn’t mean anything to me. I have no interest in going to yipsa-whatever. Could we not schedule another decent team? Ugh..

9. APRIL FOOLS RIGHT?
    7:37 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Seriously Barnhart????? Smh….

10. Weez S'posed to be SEC?
    7:41 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

I’m speechless!! This is just plain embarrassing… The MENTAL attitude of the football program must start at the top! This shows no confidence in program.

11. Mitch Barnhart
    8:11 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

I missed the memo where we thought we were a perennial powerhouse. I thought we still had a ton of work to do…?

• I agree, but the problem some folks have is we’re going to a lower opponent’s place, instead of just 2 games at Commonwealth and that’s it. They don’t think EMU is worthy.

Mizzou and Okie St. both went to Troy several years ago as ranked teams, in different years, and both got beat. A friend of mine who went to Troy said “I don’t think any Big 12 teams are going to agree to a home and home any more”. They also beat Miss St in Starkville one year.

12. James in Ann Arbor
    9:52 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

YES!!! My Cats coming to me after moving here in 2008. Finally! The new gray turf will go nicely with our blue uni’s. I’m already old but if you know a good college town then this is a definite on your road trip plans in 2019. Plan on hitting downtown Ann Arbor during the weekend for some microbrew and grab a sandwich at Zingermans Deli.

13. James in Ann Arbor
    9:54 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

An Orange Leaf just opened down the street from The Big House also!