WATCH: UK Football commit Christian Lewis explains why he chose the Cats

@ChrisLew__

@ChrisLew__

The Kentucky coaching staff hit yet another home run on the recruiting trail this afternoon, picking up a commitment from 2021 wide receiver Christian Lewis.

Lewis, who is currently listed as a high three-star prospect and is expected to reach four-star status by the time he makes it to campus, chose the Wildcats over Louisville, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Tennessee, and Oregon, among 39 total offers.

So why was Lewis – one of the fastest-rising wideouts in the nation – sold on Kentucky?

Loyalty.

In an interview with Chad Simmons of Rivals.com, Lewis said the UK coaching staff was one of the first to offer and they continue to make it clear he is one of the school’s top priorities in its 2021 recruiting class.

“What gave them the top spot? They were one of first schools to offer me,” Lewis told Simmons. “They offered me before I had any real film out because I was hurt my sophomore season. They took a chance on me not really knowing what I could do or my abilities. They took a chance on me and they’ve shown me real love since the day they offered me two years ago. They never shied away from me.”

While the entire coaching staff has kept a close eye and maintained contact, UK linebackers coach Jon Sumrall quickly established himself as Lewis’ lead recruiter, a move that paid off in the long run for the Kentucky program. The talented receiver prospect says Sumrall was a game-changer in his recruitment.

“He really played an important role,” Lewis said. “A lot of schools that offer me, I hear from them like once every two months or something like that. Or they’d just send me a little graphic. He’d check up on me four times a week, four or five times a week. He’s not the type of coach to just send me graphics and not say nothing else, he’s going to check up on me, ask about my family, see how I’m doing. He’s one of those type of coaches.”

When it came time for a decision, Lewis said the coaching staff was thrilled to make his addition to the 2021 recruiting class official.

“They were really excited, especially Coach Sumrall because, me and him, we have a really close connection,” Lewis said. “I texted him and I said, “Coach, I have something I want to tell you.” Within like 15 seconds, he responded, telling me to call him ASAP. When I called him and told him, he was really excited. Then when I told Coach Stoops, that’s another coach that hit me up a lot. When I told him, he was real excited, very happy for me to be a Wildcat. Coach Gran and Coach (Bouknight), they were excited too.”

In fact, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound receiver had been leaning toward the Wildcats for roughly four months and privately mulled a public commitment. After sleeping on it for “a while,” Lewis said he simply couldn’t hold off any longer.

“I have really been liking Kentucky for a long time,” Lewis told Simmons. “I have not said too much about it, but I have had Kentucky on top for around four months. I really made my mind up a good while back, but I waited, slept on it for a while and kept asking myself about it before making it public.

“My answer kept being the same and Kentucky is the school for me. My heart continues to tell me Kentucky so it is time for me to commit.”

Now that his decision is official, the newest Wildcat is thrilled about living out his childhood dream of playing in the SEC for a coaching staff dedicated to making him a better player and person.

“I’m most excited about going up there to some coaches that I know who will develop me not only as a player, but to become a better man,” Lewis said. “To see myself playing at an SEC school, if that’s not every child’s dream, I don’t know what is. That’s true for me, playing at an SEC school on full scholarship.”

Welcome home.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

22 Comments for WATCH: UK Football commit Christian Lewis explains why he chose the Cats

1. UK_fac_boi
    1:49 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Welcome home, Christian!

2. TPACAT
    1:50 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Since comments are disabled on the previous post, I’ll ask it here:

“And, what’s the sports angle here? Just checking…”

• satcheluk
      5:20 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

It’s important to the people who love KY. If you don’t, then best to move on. It’s not going to stop and I’m sure you know the definition of insanity.

3. PensacolaCat
    2:01 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Nice! This guy could really be a good one!

4. sprtphan
    2:45 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Voter suppression accusations in 3,2,1…..

• bkeith75
      10:39 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

This is why comments get blocked. The post is about a receiver committing to the Cats.

5. panicpat
    3:03 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

I do not understand turning off the comments on certain posts. What happened to free speech?

• TPACAT
      5:01 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Liberals/Progressives (essentially Marxists, nowadays) only allow free speech if they agree with it. Just listen to how Matt talks over and cuts-off callers who have a different point of view than his…

• bkeith75
      10:36 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Start your own site if you don’t like this one. Then you can allow whatever you want.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:00 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

I have said 1000 times here: it’s Matt’s site so he can do what he wants, but it’s gutless to turn off comments when you beat your sanctimonious chest and shout “I’M NOT STICKIN’ TA SPORTS, AND HERE’S WHY!!!” and then (*whispers*) “hey, tech dude, turn off comments…shhh”

• TPACAT
      6:47 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Matt’s a leftist turd. They can’t argue a valid point because they have no common sense. And, they’re easily defeated in a battle of ideals due to their own PC circular logic. Then they start yelling or insulting you (or in Matt’s case, “appreciate your call”)…

• satcheluk
      5:21 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

This is called projecting to all you freshman is PSY 101.

6. JASUN74
    3:56 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Welcome home young man. Proud to have you as a Kentucky Wildcat.

7. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    8:22 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Imagine waking up next Amy McGrath. Looks like someone beat her with an ugly stick.

• CrystalBall
      10:52 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Now imagine Nancy Pelosi.

• friendsofcoal
      12:17 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

LMAO!

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      7:32 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like Amy either but someone literally just said if you don’t have a valid argument you insult and now you’re insulting a veteran no less. Don’t like her political views fine but don’t make fun of someone who risked their life for this country.

8. UKgrad80
    8:45 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Seems like a great kid! More than I can say for all these ignorant people turning these posts into political forums to express their idiotic views. Please get back under your rocks!

9. BigBluSoTru
    1:48 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

He chose us because he realizes we are the new the Bama of the SEC north this fb program is now a perrenial contender. We have arrived BBN

10. BluKudzu
    3:09 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

Typical of the racist right, typically a product of the underfunded educational system, and inbreeding has removed the power to realize, the republican party and the Dim Reaper as president has cost American citizens, their lives, their jobs, their security, their economy, their health, their savings and the shredding of our constitution, and our constitutional rights, as well as driving up the national debt, higher than any other 4 presidents in the history of our country.

So go ahead and vote for him again, the republicans will not be happy until the country is in embers, and they can be proud of their efforts to destroy one of the greatest societies this planet has ever known.

Yeah, go ahead and vote for the president that is an admirer of Putin, the man putting a bounty on killing US Soldiers.

Only ignorant mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, inbred, racists and people that hate the constitution vote for Trump and McConnell.

Just a bunch of Karens

• satcheluk
      5:23 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

Couldn’t have said it better, but the message probably resonates better without the name calling, but seriously, I fell you.

11. GACAT
    10:41 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

When an athlete commits to UK and the article lists the schools that were also recruiting the athlete please don’t mention UL. That only degrades the young man. We all know he was never ever thinking about attending Loserville.