WATCH: Stoops says team is still hungry after hot start

Mark Stoops was on The Paul Finebaum Show yesterday to discuss Kentucky’s 5-0 start, which he credited to his players’ confident but focused approach.

“There’s no doubt,” Stoops said. “They live that now and it took me a long time to get that culture, to build that culture, but these guys see it. They understand it. They’re a mature group. They work extremely hard. They really do buy into the one day at a time mentality because that’s the way we’ve been winning. That’s why I had a lot of confidence in this team in the summer when not a lot of people did. I believed in them because I saw how hungry they were.”

As you’ve heard plenty of times this week, Kentucky has the number one rushing offense in the SEC while Texas A&M has the number one rushing defense. On the road in a hostile environment, Stoops knows his team has a huge challenge ahead of them, but, as has been the norm this season, they’re embracing it.

The team is still hungry. They know we can play a lot better. We’re looking forward to that. This week has been a solid start. I’m pleased with their progress and it’s been a lot of fun.”

Yes, it has.

[mobile_ad]

10 Comments for WATCH: Stoops says team is still hungry after hot start

1. HashtagNoseWhistle
    11:37 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

The coaches not feed them?

2. Kat4Life
    11:56 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

I think this week would be a great time to use Benny as a decoy and feature Conrad a bit more. He is still vastly underutilized

3. angscot1
    12:23 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Got a bad feeling about this game. This will be by FAR the toughest test of the season and not just because the Aggies have the #1 rush defense but because of Kyle Field. I know, I know, we beat Florida at the swamp, Kyle Field is not the swamp. IF and a big IF A&M can slow the run down Wilson will ABSOLUTELY have to have a great game throwing for Them to come away with a W. That’s why this game makes me nervous, relying on the pass.

• wes720
      1:05 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Don’t be too nervous. A&M has to score to win and our defense is pretty stingy

• J-Dub421
      4:09 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Wilson is completing about 67% of his passes. Cats can do this!

• J. Did
      5:21 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

While I share your concerns, I agree with the positivity. No doubt, this will be an incredibly difficult road game. Yet, I have full faith that the CATS have the ability to win. And, I believe that KENTUCKY will be victorious. You have to believe. GO CATS!

4. angscot1
    2:01 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I agree the defense is super stout.

5. Marshall
    10:27 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

This game scares the hell out of me just mainly because of what’s at stake I’ve waited 35 years for UK to have a chance and although Benny is running like a beast, A&M with definitely be prepared for it so I believe The Game is in Wilsons hands has to be able to hit the deep ball at times these 5,6 yard passes aren’t gonna do it got good receivers use them time to let it fly

• CATandMONKEY
      10:59 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Let it fly? Like to Bowden against MSU?
      Wilson’s deep ball is likely better than his short game.

I agree he will have to be on . As someone mentioned above, UK will need to use Benny as a decoy at times, as the entire defense will be keyed in on him leaving several other dangerous players minimally covered.

6. BigBlueMeade
    11:06 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

Teams have been able to run on A&M previously. Their NW State game I believe they held that team to 26 yards rushing which skews the numbers a bit. And their low-major opponent, LA Monroe ran for almost 100 yards. Arkansas had only 60-70 yards rushing, but they don’t run the ball well anyway. I mean, beating Arkansas in Dallas is their best win. I’m worried, but not too much. CAYTS by 10.