WATCH: Kash Daniel stares down Toledo captains before game

Before Kentucky beat Toledo in football this past Saturday, Kentucky won a staring contest against the Rockets at midfield.

As UK captains Lynn Bowden, Terry Wilson, Logan Stenberg and Kash Daniel walked onto the field for the pregame handshake and coin toss, WLEX sports anchor Eli Gehn captured Daniel saying, “I’ll stare at this mother f—–,” presumably referring to one of, or all of, Toledo’s team captains.

Check out the look on Daniel’s face and be thankful that you’ve never been on the receiving end of that stare:

Prediction: We’ll see that same stare on a WrestleMania poster one day.

Article written by Drew Franklin

36 Comments for WATCH: Kash Daniel stares down Toledo captains before game

1. Underdog
    10:38 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

He’s a rare breed.

He’s someone that you want leading you out in a military battle in a fight to the death. That’s what football is and basketball to a lesser degree is. It’s a simulation.

We will miss the leadership of KD.

His intangibles are virtually impossible to duplicate.

He was key to last year’s team. He is a warrior.

Reminds me of Mike Singletary– a vicious competitor.

• ColoradoCatFan88
      12:40 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Underdog did you really just compare basketball to a military battle? Football I can somewhat understand, especially how it used to be played, but as a combat infantryman who grew up playing both sports, basketball is nowhere near that degree. If you touch someone on the wrist you get whistled for a foul. Terrible comparison

• Underdog
      4:58 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Colorado Fan,

“[Championship football is], in a lot of ways, an almost perfect illustration of the way that football is similar to ancient war.”

Since the comparison is new to you, you might want to step back and ponder for a moment, or read on the subject.

It’s such a common comparison that this speaks to your ignorance more than anything. No offense.

• ClutchCargo
      7:17 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Underdog, the fact that a lot of other people make that comparison doesn’t make it any less dumb. War is life and death. Sports are a diversion from real life.

2. RAGE
    10:50 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

Just curious you all think he will get a chance in the NFL??? I hope he does but just curious has anybody ever heard anything about his chances

• tdub
      10:59 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

I hope so, he’s all in on Ky, so proud he’s a Cat.

• WKY Cat
      11:02 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

Rage, he will be invited to some team camps but I don’t think he has NFL speed. Even against Toledo he struggled in pass coverage.

• Bluehender
      11:03 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

I think he would make a terrific special teams player. Yes I think he will get an opportunity. You can’t measure heart. If you could, his is at the top of the charts.

• UKFanSC
      11:46 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

Are you serious? He’s the third best linebacker on our team ?

3. dgtuk
    10:59 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

Havent heard anything but I would thinkiti will be difficult. Heart of a champion, but a bit undersized and probably not quick enough. Maybe drafted late but certainly invited to somebody’s camp. Maybe win a spot as a special teams savage.

Now wrestling…that is a whole different matter LOL.

Let’s enjoy him while he is here!

4. RAGE
    11:08 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

That is honestly what I was kind of thinking… I figured he would probably get an invite but just wondered if there was maybe something I haven’t heard… Him being a Kentucky boy and a mountain boy at that I was hoping that maybe he would… But I agree he def don’t have the speed but he def has the personality of a WWE star… I hope he gets a chance to make it somewhere

5. UKFanSC
    11:39 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

At the risk of inciting mayhem on this site it should be pointed out that he played damned near the entire game and had one freaking tackle. He is excellent at all the chest beating and WWE stuff, all the pre game and post game mouth running. I’d like him to play football. Oates and Square dwarf him in ability, although neither can claim to be the next Macho Man.

• mashburnfan1
      11:54 am September 2, 2019 Permalink

I agree. Kash does bring the leadership and experience in play calling for the D but his talent is not close to what Oats, Square, Wright, Paschal and even Davis have. It’s not trying to start anything it is just a fact. Still love Kash and he is what is good about young people having a dream and making it happen. I am going by what I saw and not stats as TJ did not get sacks but he was responsible for many of Toledo offensive play breakdowns because of his pressure.

• ClutchCargo
      12:33 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Agree and disagree. While he is excellent at what he does, his role is run stopper. He doesn’t have to be as athletic as Oats, Square, etc. at the college level. But I don’t think his skill set translates all that well to the NFL. He could maybe catch on as an undrafted free agent. And it’s fine to recognize that and still appreciate the heart and passion he brings to being a leader of the UK football team.

• UKFanSC
      12:39 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

There is no question that he is the spiritual leader and the passionate driver of our defense, as a senior he should be. And I’m not bashing him, just trying to put his talents in perspective. He is an overachiever whose contributions in leadership far outweigh his talents on the field.

• 4everUKblue
      1:47 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Funny how mashbum can be objective with UK football but finds it impossible to do when it comes to UK basketball.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      1:08 am September 5, 2019 Permalink

We’re going to find out Mashy asked Cal if he could hand wash jock straps in exchange for game admittance and Cal told him we are full at the sports management position. That would explain his attitude.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      1:15 am September 5, 2019 Permalink

Of course knowing Mashy he was willing to drop free game admittance just to touch the greatness that is a Cal recruit.

6. UKFanSC
    12:01 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Yup. Don’t get me wrong I understand the mountain worship, the attachment to him. He is very entertaining. If you need a guy for media day, he’s your man. The human soundbite….. but be honest, aren’t most of his celebrated moments off the field ? I like his passion and personality, but when folks start projecting him as NFL timber it’s time to say something. He peaked as a football player as a senior in high school. I have every hope his WWE career will be impressive. As impressive as a 6’0 220 pound wrestler can be.

• Based God
      12:32 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. The people that talk about how awesome he is must not watch the games. He’s a liability. I’ve been saying it since last year. The face of your defense couldn’t be left on the field on 3rd down. I mean, the dude got smoked by a second string quarterback in the open field. Maybe he does have something intangible that makes him valuable, but talent-wise Oats and Square are lightyears ahead of him.

7. ky1988
    12:02 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Kash has the things you can’t teach heart and blue collar work style. Kash makes that defense go

8. BluKudzu
    12:35 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Kash will start the game. He will get people pumped and hold others accountable.

It is not as important who starts, it is important who is on the field when the game is decided.

9. Philthy
    1:02 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

He is the most overhyped player at UK I’ve ever seen. If he would stop worrying about how his hair looks and concentrate on making open field tackles, he would have more success on the field. Save all that chest pounding for the OVW!

10. Looother
    2:04 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

If KD’s the most over-hyped player you’ve ever seen at UK, then you weren’t around for Matt Elam…

• UKFanSC
      9:08 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Amen

11. StuckinLville
    2:42 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

While he may not be the most talented you all forget he has come up with some big plays for us including a big sack against Penn State. Each class is better than the one before and we are lucky to have a player of his leadership caliber

12. satcheluk
    2:56 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

I live Kash, but he has avg ability with exceptional heart. Not a chance in the NFL, but a good guy to have on your college team. Not unlike Richie in basketball.

13. Toofarfromky
    4:35 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Not too bad imo. Any of you ever play the game? Kash is a very good player.

14. east-ky-boy
    5:47 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

Can’t believe the negativity over Kash. No he’s not the most athletic linebacker. Not the fastest. He’s a role player. He’s a run stopper. But more than anything, he’s a leader. Others do better because of him. The kid truly bleeds blue….. and red white and blue lol.

15. BLUEVADER
    7:58 pm September 2, 2019 Permalink

LOVE IT!! INTENSITY BABY! NEXT BRIAN URLACHER! EVERYONE RIDING HIM OFF TO WWE! HELL HE HAS A SHOT AT A NICE NFL CAREER ! DUDE IS BADASS PERIOD!

16. bbn606
    3:57 pm September 3, 2019 Permalink

I love Kash but we need more than 4 tackles from our middle linebacker. Time to put up or shut up.

• lex cath
      8:57 pm September 3, 2019 Permalink

When they run away from him every play, it’s called scouting report.

• UKFanSC
      9:39 am September 4, 2019 Permalink

I’d almost take 4 tackles….. he has 1, and 3 “assists “ which is essentially jumping on a pile.

• bbn606
      12:34 pm September 4, 2019 Permalink

You can’t run away from a middle linebacker. Defensive end, tackle, outside linebacker yes but the middle linebacker is playing sideline to sideline.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      1:12 am September 5, 2019 Permalink

We run a 3-4 which means a left and right MLB on most plays, so yes you can go away from him.