Was Steve Spurrier drunk on his television show?

spurrier-arby-swag-top

Steve Spurrier is contractually obligated to do a weekly television show, but mysteriously, this week’s show, which was a recap of the Gamecocks’ narrow win over UCF, was removed from the athletic department website. Spurrier asked that the show be removed because it was “too negative” towards some coaches and the team, but some clips have leaked onto the internet that tell a very different story. Check them out below:

Now, Steve Spurrier has always been a character with an infamous southern drawl, but according to South Carolina fans, he may have been a little sauced up. Deadspin posted some comments from a USC message board which have since been deleted, including this one:

Wow, yeah Coach is tipsy. I’ve watched this show the past 6 or 7 years. I’ve never seen him slur like that. Also pretty candid right there “We need to cut that crap out if we want to compete” Ha Ha! I bet Todd can smell the HBC’s 80 proof breath too.

Spurrier says he may have had a few beers, but that wasn’t the reason he requested it be taken down:

Asked if that was due to fatigue, Spurrier said, “I guess so.”

When asked if he was impaired in any way, he said, “I hope not.”

When asked if he had been drinking after the game, Spurrier replied, “Whether or not I have a few beers after every game for the past 29 years I don’t think I need to get into all that. Most coaches that I know we probably do have a few beers after ballgames after building up all week and so forth. But that was a draining day and I got too negative. I don’t like being that negative after a victory.”

Did the old ball coach have one too many mimosas at brunch Sunday morning?

20 Comments for Was Steve Spurrier drunk on his television show?

1. Rob
    11:51 am October 2, 2013 Permalink

Not drunk; it’s just that the lead in USC’s pipes causes brain damage. Exhibit A: Lou Holtz.

Oh, Lou was always like that? Never mind. Spurrier was drunk.

2. Kevin C.
    11:52 am October 2, 2013 Permalink

LOL….it is painfully obvious that he was drunk. At times he seemed to be doing a damn good Foster Brooks impression.

3. ?
    12:06 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Deadspin, deadspin, deadspin.

4. TN Cat
    12:09 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

It’s Kentucky week for him. He was already celebrating the win.

5. Bigcatsays
    12:12 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

It doesn’t matter if he is drunk or absent on Saturday night. South Carolina is going to absolutely destroy the cats. They trounced us last year with much better offensive production and with our new air raid “0.0” offense it will be much worse. 2015 can’t get here soon enough for wildcat football.

6. Blue Elvis
    12:18 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

On a much more serious note and every bit as much of a cover up by the old ball coach, sounds like a possible stroke. He’s what, pushing 70 now?

7. Rob
    12:22 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Yeah it sounds like the old ball coach had a few, no biggie, just something to laugh at. While USC will probably pounce the cats, it isn’t like we didn’t expect this to happen this year, the media especially KSR can keep trying to spin UK has a chance week in and week out, but all it does is get people’s hopes up for nothing. Everyone knew this year would be bad, even coach stoops said the biggest thing he wants this year is showing improvement and competing every week, which they are doing. I for one am happy with UK so far under stoops, i didnt come into this season expecting big wins, i just wanted to see them compete and not throw in the towel. UK is gonna be fine, this don’t change overnight especailly with what stoops was left to work with. I see a bright future for UK football, hell Spurrier hates UK and even he admits Stoops will turn it around and be successful..Go Cats..

8. NKYCats
    12:22 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Slurrier

9. UKGrad83
    12:41 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

@7 – Just what I was thinking, maybe a stroke. Hopefully it’s just a few too many beers.

10. Jughead
    12:44 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Sobriety is overrated.

11. chris
    12:45 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Steve Slurrier

12. BravoBigBlue
    12:52 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

At least Spurrier waited until after the game. Unlike Neal Brown, whose play-calling against Florida was clearly impaired.

13. RealCatsFan
    12:55 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey, we have had drunks for basketball coaches at least two times in the past, and as long as they win they are not going anywhere. I think Spurrier and the whole football team could get drunk, and we still probably wouldn’t beat them. Hopefully in a few years we will, but not this year. The media need to approach this stretch as just survive without too many injuries, and then start talking about maybe sneaking out with a win in the second half of the season. We all knew it would be tough this year – rebuilding with the strongest schedule in the country will make it that way for anyone.

14. RICK
    12:58 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

No i don’t think he had to many, you can’t have to many cold beers. Drink up coach have some fun and tell the people that don’t like it to have a cold one.

15. tom
    1:04 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

In my view, extremely poor taste for a post subject. Like several mentioned, it could be neurological, cardiovascular or otherwise. Probably he just have had a couple beers. Whatever the reason(s) why must we always be so hateful or ready at the drop of a hat to make fun of others? For one, I don’t like this aspect of sports boards…too much spite for my taste. I’m sure others will disagree.

16. Blue Elvis
    1:04 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Look #13, don’t pass judgement on Neal until we get the horses necessary to make the Air Raid work.
    This team has an incredible gap in SEC talent on both sides of the ball at almost every position. The guys we have who are players, many are freshmen or juco dudes who are getting acclimated to the SEC. Coach Brown’s resume speaks for itself. He owes you no justification or explanation. Hell, Belichick couldn’t put up better numbers with this rag tag bunch. Do you even listen to Matt’s radio show? He has stated on several occasions that 2015 will be the year when we start to hit our stride. It’s useless to piss and moan until the recruiting catches up with the coaching. If you want to be pissed at someone, hit joker up on twitter. No matter how bad things are now, they would be worse with him leading this team without the few nuggets Stoops brought in.

17. Jughead
    1:10 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather have a throttle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

–Bobby Petrino

18. TheBigToe
    1:11 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey, the Ole Ball Coach wasn’t drunk, he was just speaking in cursive.

19. tom
    1:32 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

Blue Elvis –
    Regarding 2015, if Matt said it…it MUST be true! lol

Seriously, I think your statement that the player quality (recruitment) has not yet caught up with the coaching is spot on. Bravo

20. Damifino
    2:35 pm October 2, 2013 Permalink

This was not the first time that Slurrier and some of his staff have shown their ass in public. The sad part is the university covering up of it.