Want to Tweet from the New CWS? Good Luck.

“I said I’m with Patrick in Section 206!”

Earlier this week a caller asked Matt and Ryan if the construction at Commonwealth Stadium included installation of some new cell towers to improve service. The guys weren’t sure of the answer. Today we now have it thanks to Jenn Smith of the Herald-Leader and the answer is a bit disappointing.

Jenn spoke with Guy Ramsey, UK’s director for strategic communication, and he said due to “ongoing renovations at the stadium, getting a system into place wasn’t feasible”. Jenn writes:

The 2,000 season ticket holders in the premium seats, as well as fans in the suites, will be given access to a wireless network. But the rest of the stadium might have to wait. Heading into 2016, UK might look into investing in a system for the entire stadium.

To older fans this may not seem like a big deal but to the younger crowd it most certainly is. Since the great recession attendance has been falling on the macro level at just about every major sporting event in the country. One major reason for the attendance decline is the rise of the the HD TV and social media. Why travel miles and miles to sit in the elements when you can have a better view from your couch? One with instant replay, multiple games at your command, interaction via twitter with friends and strangers, and no hassle of traffic.

The live experience has to adapt to provide all these same luxuries but with the added ability to say you were there when “X” happened. It’s the one thing that television or streaming can not replicate. Still, you have to find a way to balance being present and being connected. People want experience the environment for UK-Florida but the also want to tell people about it on Twitter. They want to witness the inside of the new CWS but they also want to Instagram it for all their friends. They want to storm the field when we beat Louisville and go bowling for the first time since 2011 but they want to periscope the view to the rest of the world.

Will the lack of a new system hurt attendance for Commonwealth Stadium’s inaugural year? Probably not but it is something Guy Ramsey should think hard about for 2016. According to CBS Sports fixing cell service would run bout $2 million per stadium but it’s an improvement that all schools will have to make eventually. I’m with Dave Hart, the AD at UT on this one.

“Our next generation of fans is used to staying connected. They should be able to communicate in real time with somebody on the other side of the stadium, it’s quite an investment but we have to make it.” There’s no time like the present.

Follow me on twitter @ACassady_KSR

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

32 Comments for Want to Tweet from the New CWS? Good Luck.

1. Angelo
    3:06 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

this is mind boggling.

• catdaddyd
      9:20 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Why do you need wifi? Won’t your 4g lte work? It not the middle of the desert.

2. Mitch Barnhart
    3:13 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Sorry, but we ain’t gonna spend no two million dollars for no internet towers inside the stadium so that a bunch of drunk coeds can send selfies to each other. You are their to watch football and cheer for the Cats. You can send all them twitters after the game

3. Teddy
    3:34 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Disney has free wifi throughout all its parks, hotels, and downtown Disney. Shouldn’t be that hard to do at CWS.

• cats1068
      4:46 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Amen. In the age of smart phones and social media, this is a big snafu!

• Big Al and the boys
      7:17 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Admission to Disney is over $100 per day, per person, per park. Nothing at Disney is free.

• Tampa satchel
      12:56 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

lol “free at Disney”. When I fly Business Class on Delta they give me free slippers, an eye mask and some toiletries.

• Teddy
      2:22 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Okay, so what, you pay money to go to the UK games and wifi should come “free” with it too. Part of doing business.

4. Higgs22
    4:24 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

I thought the common fan a.k.a. the fans paying $60-70 per game we’re going to be treated a better fan experience with a cell signal rivaling at least 2004 and wi-fi. This is depressing. You can’t even get scores or make a phone call or send a text from the stadium and it’s 2015. I have heard all of the BS excuses but The sad point is the cell coverage at Commonwealth is the worst of any stadium I have ever been in in my life. Once again Kentucky football has a chance to be a leader and we are a follower at best. Long-suffering UK football fans rarely rewarded by the athletic department. And so the story goes.

5. Bradfrommississippi
    4:31 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Just make CWS an exclusive stadium for either at&I or Verizon. Take the sponsorship money and run with it

• Angelo
      5:00 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Yeah!! Why not?

6. Jason
    4:31 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

I bet the only person that makes decisions on the renovations doesn’t have internet service at their house, and they wonder what “hotspots” stickers mean at restaurants.

7. Keith
    4:31 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

UK has been half assing everything with football for decades. Some new turf and better seating for the elite class in the suites doesn’t change that.

8. Oldkatfan
    4:41 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Was staying at hotel next toPETCO PARK in San Diego and they had temporary cell towers on the top of the parking garage. Why can’t they do that at CWS.

9. What The
    4:53 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Wow, what a bunch of whiners. You’re there to watch a football game, not be on social media. Calm yourselves down and step back from the cell phones. The sun will still rise in the morning.

• Eazy t
      5:20 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Get with the times buddy

• Hmmm...
      11:31 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

I wonder how everyone did it back in the days before cell phones and Wi-Fi?

• Tampa satchel
      12:58 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

I guess you wouldn’t mind getting back on your sway-back like when you were a kid before cars.

10. Eric
    5:07 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

More ways for UK to crap on the average fan, same reason we got bumped from 2nd route behind the home bench to halfway up in the corner with the seat reassignment, after being loyal through crap seasons. UK athletics craps on its most loyal fans for the sake of big money

11. Drew Franklin
    5:23 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

I start having seizures if I can’t use my phone for more then ten seconds. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, I don’t care as long as I can post something. I told Matt that I will not set foot in that stadium unless I have internet access at all times

• inside info2
      7:12 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

don’t forget Tinder. gotta have something for linded up for Matt and yourself as soon as the game is over.

• Ha!
      9:47 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

“Linded”. Of course.

12. Shelby
    5:30 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Fans need to quit gawking at their cell phones like a bunch of teenage girls and start cheering for the cats like they mean it.

13. Eric
    5:40 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Can we not be thankful for the university pouring all this cash into the football program? Can we not be thankful for the coaching staff and the non-stop effort they put into recruiting and making these kids better football players? I don’t care if there is even a seat for me to sit in on September 5th. Gimme a place to stand, buy a mixer and a football team thats “All In”, I’ll be fine. Good times are coming! Everybody hug it out! Focus on being loud! The university and coaching staff are doing thier part now its time for us to do ours.

Oh yeah, UK ain’t no Billion dollar Disney

• Erin
      7:54 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Thank you. Haven’t had a great signal the entire time I’ve had my tickets, don’t have one at Rupp, and I still manage to cheer for the Cats. Let’s get ready for this season and not worry about our cell phones.

14. jr
    6:32 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

The SEC just did a poll on what people wanted improvements on when watching a game live. Cellphone communication came in a distant 5th place. Food, drinks, parking, bathrooms, tailgate, were and are what people want.

15. BC Jones
    6:32 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Seems a simple call to Verizon would fix the deal.

16. CB3UK
    6:55 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

Get off your phones and watch the game. Perhaps even stand and cheer. I agree they need to rectify this issue,but I’m not gonna get butthurt over it. It will come.

17. inside info2
    7:14 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

i’m really not that concerned DURING the game, but tailgating before the game can be tough trying to track everyone down with no signal.

• OldSchool
      2:28 am July 27, 2015 Permalink

“We’ll all meet at the Eiffel Tower at noon.”

Speaking of, screw a bunch of cell towers. Get rid of Papa and bring on La Rosa’s!!!

18. Hmmm...
    9:56 pm July 26, 2015 Permalink

I wonder how everyone did it back in the days before cell phones and Wi-Fi?

• Tampa satchel
      1:03 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

People use to ride horses before cars. Guess you wouldn’t mind going back to that. Or how about going to the library to research microfiche if your internet was taken away.