Walker Wood is in the transfer portal

Walker Wood’s time as a Kentucky Wildcat may be coming to an end. According to Josh Edwards, the Kentucky sophomore quarterback has placed his name into the transfer portal.

During today’s Signing Day Press Conference, Mark Stoops hinted at the news when asked if Kentucky would have seven quarterbacks on the roster next fall.

“Yeah, we’ll see where that goes. I think for sure at least one has talked to me about going in the portal at this point in time. So we’ll see where that heads with those guys.”

In two games this season (Tennessee Martin and Vanderbilt), Wood was 2-3 for 15 yards, serving as the backup to Lynn Bowden once Bowden took over for an injured Sawyer Smith, who took over for an injured Terry Wilson. He also rushed for 22 yards on three attempts. The Lexington native and Lafayette alum came to Kentucky in January 2017 as a three-star prospect and redshirted his freshman season and practiced with the squad last fall. Unfortunately, multiple injuries made it difficult for him to move up the depth chart. We wish him nothing but the best in the next chapter.

11 Comments for Walker Wood is in the transfer portal

1. CJKAssassin123
    5:30 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up at Western or joins Coach Hood at Murray St.

2. bbn606
    5:41 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

I was expecting this.

3. UKInsider
    5:55 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Thank you for freeing up a scholarship

4. BlueByYou
    5:58 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Or EKU

5. Irish son
    6:26 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

I never understood why he was here in the first place

• ClutchCargo
      6:37 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

HS teammate of Jedrick Wills.

• Collie
      6:58 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

I think Clutchcargo may be right on his reasoning. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot, but sometimes that doesn’t always work out. He also was a hometown boy and if you can hold on to them, especially then, it sends a message. However, it appears we may be past those times. Credit Stoops, he has went up against the big boys for recruits since he started, and mostly lost out in the past. He has never wavered and stayed the course, and it seems Kentucky football is finally winning those battles. Funny the last few years they have done just enough on the field and off to keep me buying my tickets. I will not question cutting that check this year when the time to renew comes around.

6. notFromhere
    7:01 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

I wish him the best. Injuries blew any chance he had to compete early and forced UK to stay with the transfers. Could have played here, but things didnt work out. Always appreciate the local boys that contribute to the program, and I’ll do my best to root for him as a player wherever he goes.

7. StuckinLville
    7:24 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

I expect Gilmore and/or Scalzo at some point to leave as well now that Gatewood is coming in.

• Collie
      7:58 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Probably so, but I was curious about/to see Scalzo.

• kydrummer
      10:28 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Doesn’t Gilmore play baseball also? He might give up football and focus on baseball.