We are almost two weeks removed from Kentucky’s dramatic season finale in the Citrus Bowl. Now that we’ve had time to digest the Cats’ first ten-win season in 41 years, let’s reflect on Mark Stoops’ successful sixth season in Lexington.
Led by two of the best to wear blue and white, Benny Snell and Josh Allen, Kentucky won five SEC games to finish second in the Eastern Division. Kentucky beat four teams in the final CFB Playoff Ranking.
A team that falls into each of the ;previous categories is Florida. For most readers, the victory in The Swamp was the first time we ever saw a Kentucky football team defeat Florida. The emotions that followed the win are unforgettable.
A few weeks later, Benny Snell saved his best performance for a rainy fight with Mississippi State, one that ended with a win and $100,000 fine. It was fun to beat South Carolina for a fifth year in a row, but not as fun as it was to beat Missouri on an untimed down. That sparked a matchup with Georgia for an SEC East Title and paved the way for Kentucky’s Citrus Bowl berth (one that was not official until after Kentucky beat Louisville by a measly 46 points).
The Kentucky football season was filled with many great moments. Now it’s your turn to decide which ones meant the most. From Penn State to Murray State, rank all ten of Kentucky’s historic 2018-19 season wins.
If you couldn’t tell where I stand in the preview, see my submission below:
1. Florida — Because The Streak, duh.
2. Penn State — A perfect exclamation point.
3. Missouri — If not for the other two, this might have been my favorite of all time. Winning in that improbable fashion on the last play was magical. Being on the field after the game was pretty dope too.
4. Miss. State — Kentucky fought fire with fire in the rain and won.
5. Louisville — Kicking the crap out of the Cards always feels good. If only Bobby P stuck around a little longer…
6. South Carolina — Beating South Carolina is a new routine I’ve grown found of.
7. Middle Tennessee — It got a little too close near the end, but Mike Edwards’ hot start made Senior Day a joyful celebration at Kroger Field.
8. Central Michigan — Benny had a pretty awesome run, but that’s about it.
9. Murray State — Eat it, Racers.