Vince Marrow says Lynn Bowden is the best Kentucky player of all time

Following Lynn Bowden Jr.’s 233-yard, two-touchdown rushing performance, along with his 73 yards and touchdown pass through the air, Kentucky associate head coach Vince Marrow had high praise for his superstar playmaker.

In fact, he couldn’t have had higher praise for the junior all-purpose player.

On social media after the game, Marrow said that Bowden was the best player in Kentucky football history.

“Respect to all the players that played [at Kentucky in the past, but] Lynn Bowden is the best player that has put on the Blue,” Marrow wrote. “Go Big Blue.”

After the game, Marrow was asked by reporters about his comments on Twitter and whether or not he’ll hear from any former players.

With all due respect to the all-time greats, Marrow says he doesn’t care.

“I don’t care,” Marrow said. “I think Mike Edwards is gonna hit me up. It’s all respect to them guys but come on man. You know [Bowden’s] running the ball probably 90% of the time and what’d he rush for? 230, a new record? I’m pretty sure I’m going to hear from Benny. I know I am. I ain’t even sending a message to him. I’m waiting to hear from you. But I think [Bowden] is the best.”

After the game, UK head coach Mark Stoops was on the same page as Marrow, calling Bowden “one of the best players” to ever wear Kentucky across his chest.

“He really is one of the best players,” Stoops said. “I mean that with great respect for all the people that were here. That’s what I talked about, when you’re putting the ball in his hands every play, he loves that because the game is running through him, it’s running through him on every play.

“I don’t know, that was one of the most impressive displays I’ve seen in a long time,” Stoops continued. “What he did and the way he puts this team on his back and plays for him, it’s amazing. It’s very admirable and we have great appreciation for him.”

Stoops said that “nothing” about Bowden’s game and what he’s able to bring to the table every time he steps on the football field surprises him, adding that if he played quarterback all season, he feels he would’ve been a Heisman finalist.

“Really, nothing he does surprises me,” Stoops said. “Everything he does, he competes, he cares about his teammates and, you know, you can’t ever count him out. … If he would have played like that, if we would’ve started him at quarterback, there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would be in New York at the Heisman [Trophy Presentation]. You can’t take away from Joe [Burrow] and people that were there, incredible players, but this guy right here is one of the best players in the country. He showed that.”

At the end of the day, it’s going to be a major challenge for the Kentucky coaching staff to find another player like Bowden in the future.

In fact, with the former four-star recruit finishing his three-year Kentucky career with 1,530 rushing yards, 1,303 receiving yards, 495 passing yards, and 22 touchdowns, it might not be possible at all.

“I don’t know if you can replace a guy like this,” Stoops said. “You really can’t.”

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

13 Comments for Vince Marrow says Lynn Bowden is the best Kentucky player of all time

1. cats646
    6:27 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

I mean, I’m not sure anyone can argue with you.

2. CJKAssassin123
    6:31 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

Lynn Bowden is in a class all to himself.

3. Not Dan Issel
    6:39 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

Lynn is great, but . . . . ART STILL!!??!!

4. Not Dan Issel
    7:04 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

One of the fiercest defenders in school history, Art Still led Kentucky to its last 10-win season in 1977. He becomes the fifth Wildcat to enter the College Football Hall of Fame.

Voted a unanimous First Team All-American as a senior, Still was named the 1977 SEC Defensive Player of the Year and was a finalist for the Lombardi Award. Playing for coach Fran Curci, the two-time First Team All-SEC selection led the Wildcats to the SEC Championship and a victory in the Peach Bowl in 1976. A four-year starter, Still finished his career with 327 tackles, and he holds the school record for tackles for loss in a season with 22 in 1977. The Camden, N.J., native was twice named the National Lineman of the Week, and he led Kentucky to its highest final AP ranking as the Wildcats finished No. 6 in 1977. Named the 1977 SEC Senior Player of the Year by the Birmingham Touchdown Club, Still played in the East-West Shrine Game, Hula Bowl and Japan Bowl senior all-star games.

Chosen by the Kansas City Chiefs with the second overall pick in the 1978 NFL Draft, Still spent 10 seasons with the Chiefs and two with the Buffalo Bills. The four-time Pro Bowl selection set Chiefs’ records for sacks in a career and season, and he currently ranks second in team history with 992 tackles.

A member of the University of Kentucky Athletics Hall of Fame, Still had his jersey retired, and he is a member of the school’s All-Time Team. Named to the Quarter Century All-SEC team, he is also enshrined in the Kansas City Chiefs and State of Missouri Sports Halls of Fame. Still is a Kansas City Chiefs Ambassador, and he volunteers with Big Brothers, DARE, the Sickle Cell Foundation and the Special Olympics.

• bbn606
      8:56 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

Glad to see the info on Still. Many compared last year’s team to the 77 team but the 77 team had a much harder Schedule winning 10 of 11 games played. Their non-conference schedule was North Carolina, Baylor (Only loss), West Va, Va Tech and number 4 Penn St whose only loss of the season was to UK.

• lonedog
      12:24 am January 1, 2020 Permalink

If you put it like that and want to compare it to today’s standards everyone forgets we won the national championship in 1950.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:40 am January 1, 2020 Permalink

And I would bet this team would’ve run the 1950 team off the field as well as last year’s team.

5. nicky
    7:48 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

Choo Choo Lee

6. J. Did
    8:56 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

Vince Marrow said that – and I believe him. But, over the years there have been incredible players at KENTUCKY. Yet, I do not ever recall a player who guaranteed a win – via his actions. Whenever Lynn was in, there was a will to win. For that, I am grateful. And for his will, and the wins, I can’t argue with Vince.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:04 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

I’ve never seen more of a warrior at UK than Bowden, I agree with you on all counts J.Did.

7. kilroy44
    9:06 pm December 31, 2019 Permalink

We can argue who’s the best, but let’s just agree that Lynn may or may not be in a class by himself at UK, but it definitely won’t take long to call roll!