Vince Marrow pissed off the national media is still overlooking Kentucky

Over the past several years, we’ve seen how Kentucky’s coaching staff and players have used low expectations from the media as fuel to reach new heights. Even though Kentucky won ten games last year and went to a New Year’s Day bowl, the “disrespect” continues, with many college football writers predicting the Cats will slide back to the SEC cellar. As you might expect, recruiting coordinator Vince Marrow had plenty to say about that on today’s Kentucky Sports Radio.

“I’m knocking down doors to national media because these guys are really pissing me off,” Marrow said. “It’s pissing me off.”

The most recent example of this is Phil Steele not including Kentucky on his list of SEC teams he expects to go bowling this year, but Marrow’s anger was directed towards another media member, ESPN Radio Nashville’s Braden Gall, who ranked Terry Wilson as the worst quarterback in the SEC.

“I was listening to Tom Leach and, those guys — I should stop listening to radio. I guess they said Terry was the last rated QB in the preseason? We should start a poll, and I’m going to talk to the BBN, just like coaches get fired for wins and losses, when all these reporters come out and say, hey, this team is going 4-8 and this team ain’t gonna do that. If they’re wrong, they should get fired.”

Hoo-boy. Lynn Bowden said those articles have made their way around the locker room as well.

“I see a lot of things that are going to be overturned, opening people’s eyes. We’re not even ranked, I think. That’s crazy…Some people do [use it as motivation]. I kind of look at it like, dang, they really just don’t like us. It’s just got to be because we’ve got Kentucky on the front of our uniforms or something. It’s like, why hate us?”

Marrow has a fun theory.

“Don’t get it twisted; I think our head dog is pissing them off too,” Marrow said of his boss and lifelong friend Mark Stoops. “I think people think — I’ve known Mark for years. I think people think because he’s a fun-loving, jovial guy that there ain’t no toughness in him. He’s more tougher than — look, he’s from Youngstown, man. He’s from Youngstown. Trust me. When it’s time to be tough, he’s going to be tough. When it’s time to be something else, he’s going to be something else.”

Listen to Big Dog host Hour 1 of today’s show below:

[mobile_ad]

14 Comments for Vince Marrow pissed off the national media is still overlooking Kentucky

1. BluKudzu
    1:17 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

This is the year….depth starts to shine…we will make the media dine on a humble pie.

• Headhurts
      2:11 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

Instead of dine on humble pie let’s ram that pie down their throats! Yeah

2. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:57 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

Keep motivating a team that doesn’t need any more motivation, good move. Actually I would love if it finally pushed Stoops over the edge and he would say to hell with late game sportsmanship go rack up the score.

• cats646
      3:25 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

This^^^!!!!

• TheAssman
      6:59 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

When has UK had the chance in the Stoops era to rack up the score on anyone…when did Stoops ever pull the reigns back in any game??

• runningunnin.454
      7:47 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

I’m thinking last year…Louisville?

• TheAssman
      9:12 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

OK, so hopefully Stoops won’t run up the score like he did that 1 game out of like 70

3. Boman2112
    4:50 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

I say let email disrespect us! Look where it might take us. Besides..
    We are in charge of our own destiny not anyone else.
    GO BIG BLUE!!!!

• Boman2112
      4:51 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

Let them..damn phone

4. bluecorvettecat
    6:42 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

Morrow should be pissed off but only because UK coaching has little respect. Snell saved them last year with talent and heart in a boring and predictable offense.Terry Wilson didn’t get the 10-3 records. He can’t pass and in the SEC a bad passer is in serious trouble. Stoops is built to go for not losing , not playing to win. Stoops is defensive coach, not a head or offensive coach. Sadly I believe the prognosticators ate right and the fluke of last year is just that ??
    Hope I am wrong as a life time Cat fan and supporter
    Go Cats!

• runningunnin.454
      7:49 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

Little Red Corvette here.
      I’ll agree he’s not played to win at times; but, I think that will change will more overall talent and depth.

• mashburnfan1
      8:47 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

bluecorvetter….I was upset with lack of deep threats last year and conservative play as well. But to say Terry can’t throw shows your ignorance. Kid was playing at SEC level for 1st time, basically a FR in terms of playing at this level. How many FR QB’s carry their teams at this level {I will save you the time from looking in your coloring book and tell you the answer is very few}. You are right Terry did not carry us to 10-3, but at the same time he did not drop us to 8-5 or 7-6. He made big plays at big times and really made just a few mistakes and no mistakes that lost us a game. Do you remember a guy named Tim Couch, go back and look at how he did his first trip to UF and his 1st year. Not saying Terry is Tim Couch just saying it was tough for a future #1 pick early in his career.

5. runningunnin.454
    7:52 pm June 18, 2019 Permalink

Don’t tug on Superman’s cape, don’t spit into the wind, and don’t pi$$ off the Big Dog.

6. bluecorvettecat
    8:42 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

Masburnfan1
    Because I have a different opinion does not make me ignorant . How sad you blow up at a UK fan who agrees with many in the national media, who incidentally believe that Terry Wilson lacks the SEC chops to be a top level SEC QB. I hope I and they are wrong, but they are far more equipped than me, and maybe you at making their predictions. UK defense last year saved Wilson many times when his lack of passing savvy made us a predictable run offense. It took an alll time UK russing leader and all conference defense to go 10-3, not Terry Wilson. Let’s hope that OUR team, yes your and mine, will represent the BBN at OUR best.