Vince Marrow is currently meeting with Youngstown State

Yesterday, KSR broke the news that Vince Marrow is in talks with Youngstown State about its head coaching job. Last night, Justin Rowland reported that a meeting between the two sides was set to happen today; according to our own Matt Jones, it’s taking place as we speak.

Vince Marrow is meeting with Youngstown State at noon today and we expect a decision very soon after,” Jones said on this morning’s Kentucky Sports Radio.

On a recruiting trip at Chaney High School in Youngstown on Wednesday, WKBN-27 asked Marrow if he’s interested in becoming the next head coach of his hometown football team.

“I know whenever I take a head job, I’ll do a good job,” Marrow said. “Right now we’re building a good thing down at Kentucky, but in the short future — you just never know when’s the right time to do it. But I know I will be a head coach sometime.”

Not only is Kentucky primed for yet another successful season, at least one recruit is waiting to hear what Marrow will do. Michael Drennen II, a four-star recruit from Dublin Coffman High School (Oh.), wants to decide between Kentucky and USC in the next week, but told 247 Sports Marrow’s decision could have a huge impact.

“I want to make my decision on February 5, but there might be something happening that could change things for me,” Drennen told 247. “At Kentucky, I’m reading that (assistant coach) Vince Marrow could be getting the head coaching job at Youngstown State and he and I have had a relationship since I was in the eighth grade. I’m not saying his decision will make my decision for me but I’m watching that.”

“He’s the main person I speak to at Kentucky and him leaving kind of makes me nervous a little bit,” he admitted. “He was the first coach to ever offer me a scholarship and we have stayed close. I have been to Kentucky so many times and I’m very comfortable there. I know that school better than any school that has recruited me.”

We’ll support the Big Dog either way, but keeping him in Lexington would be huge.

21 Comments for Vince Marrow is currently meeting with Youngstown State

1. mashburnfan1
    12:36 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Please stay Vince. A better job making more money will be available to you soon. If you go , I get it since it is home, but staying and finishing this UK build would be legendary.

2. RackEmWillie
    12:38 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I do want Vince to do bigger and better things, but man, I really want him to stay.

I get that this is part of the price of success, and I’ll support him regardless. I’d love for him to stay, but I have a feeling that he’s gone.

3. Wade
    12:39 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He will fall in love with Ohio guys bc he is a recruiter but he won’t get any there. Hope he stays

4. Wade
    12:41 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Drennen not waiting to go to Youngstown he wants to come to ky here you can get your guys

5. UoKFB PHAN
    12:52 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Some people will say ‘throw more money at him’ but this is more than just about the money. Coach Marrow is 51 and only he knows how many more years he wants to be in coaching before he retires. You add in he was born in Youngstown and I can see him seriously considering the opportunity. The biggest drawback might be that Youngstown State is a FCS school and went 6 & 6 last year but then it has won 4 national championships. I have to wonder how appealing the HC position at Toledo would be to him since he played his college ball there and the school being in the FBS.

I would really like to have him back at Kentucky but I think most people on here what him to do what’s best for him and his family.

• TonyMontana
      1:21 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

If he wants to go, he should go. But, if he wants to stay he deserves to have money thrown at him. In 2019 Marrow signed a new deal with Kentucky, making him the “Associate Head Coach” and receiving a deal worth $600,000 per year.

With the SEC and NCAA in general pulling down obscene gobs of money, I think it makes sense to throw a bigger chunk at Vince. There are over a dozen assistants in the SEC getting paid over $1 million per year. Marrow is 28th in pay. To put it in perspective, Tennessee has 5 assistants making more than him. I think he belongs in the millionaire club based on all he brings in and does for the University.

Youngstown’s former coach Bo Pelini earned around $200,000 per year there and just signed on at LSU to be assistant head coach pulling down $2.3 million per year. Fun fact: When fired from Nebraska, Pelini received 51 monthly payments of $150,000.

6. Rod Crandler
    12:58 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

My guess is they would not be meeting unless the agents have already worked out the details. Hate to see him go but completely understand. Best of luck!

7. bbn606
    1:02 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

My wife would never let make take a pay cut like that but best of luck and thanks for all you have done “Big Dog”.

• satcheluk
      1:48 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

How do you figure it’s a pay cut? You can’t go on Palinni’s salary because they underplayed him b/c he was still getting about $1.5mm from Nebraska. I would suspect they could pay him about what he is making now, but certainly less than $1mm.

8. RealCatsFan
    1:06 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Dear 8lb 6oz Baby Jesus….

• ryan1723
      1:19 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

He was a man! He had a beard!!

• RealCatsFan
      1:26 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Well, I like the Christmas Jesus best when I’m praying for Vince Marrow to stay. When you do it, you can say it to Grown-up Jesus, or Teenage Jesus, or Bearded Jesus, or whoever you want.

• Bluehender
      1:33 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

You’re darn right RCF..

• Bluehender
      1:42 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’ll scissors kick your ass Chip..

• Jesus H. Chrysler
      2:10 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

…yes, u rang?

9. John Capilari
    1:22 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Head [coaching] job.

10. satcheluk
    1:50 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m getting a bit nervous. Was hoping this was a courtesy interview on Big Dawgs part and he would save them for their next job after he helps take us to Atlanta.

11. ClutchCargo
    1:55 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5…

12. Bluebloodtoo
    2:17 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

The head coach doesn’t get to spend much time recruiting. Sure seems like Vince really likes the time he spends recruiting…

13. bcp426
    2:52 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Unless he just really really really wants to coach there and doesn’t care about the money, I still think this is all just mutual posturing to bump Marrow and to bump the profile of the YSU HBC position.

…. I hope.

14. truebluefootballfan
    7:15 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Waiting makes my belly hurt