Shortly after the Youngstown State head football coaching position opened up, Vince Marrow spoke out about his potential interest in the job.

On a recruiting trip at Chaney High School in Youngstown, WKBN-27 asked Marrow if he’s interested in becoming the next head coach of his hometown football team.

“Names are thrown out. I’m from here, grew up here. My interest — until I talk to somebody, my interest is just, I’m watching as a fan. But I’m a big fan of (Youngstown State president) Coach Tressel and (athletic director) Ron Strollo — played against him in high school. I’m pretty sure they’re going to get a good guy.

“A lot of people from home have been calling me and saying ‘we want you to come back home.’ I’m just up here recruiting, just looking at kids and all of that. If my interest was there to be the head coach there — we have to see.”

Even though he admitted that he has not spoken to anyone at Youngstown State about filling the position, he was not shy about his intentions to become a head coach one day.

“I know whenever I take a head job, I’ll do a good job,” Marrow said. “Right now we’re building a good thing down at Kentucky, but in the short future — you just never know when’s the right time to do it. But I know I will be a head coach sometime.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for Vince Marrow has not talked to Youngstown State but says he “will be a head coach sometime” in the future

1. J. Did
    5:10 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Love Vince Marrow. Hate to lose him. He’s awesome! My hope is that Vince Marrow gets what he wants and if that’s HC at Youngstown State or wherever and whenever, I will have to accept it. And I wish him the best because he deserves the best. Until then, it’s still fantastic to have him around KENTUCKY Football! GO CATS!

2. blueblood80
    5:13 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Wow. With the upward trend for Kentucky football over recent years, and with the best recruiting class in history coming onboard, continued success depends on keeping integral parts of the coaching staff together. Coach Marrow leaving would be a major loss as one of our top recruiters. Losing him could quickly cripple what is becoming a solid foundation and interrupt the continuity present players have seen….

3. Tom Bombadil
    5:31 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Love Coach Marrow, he couldn’t be a better right hand man for Stoops and Kentucky. If he were to leave I believe we lose some new recruits. Exactly right it would ruin the continuity at UK

4. ukkatzfan
    5:41 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Want him to do what he wants. Nothing but the best wishes for him. Would be cool for him to reap some rewards of winning some big games before he leaves though. if Mike Stoops comes on board, that would be a good positive going forward. Next man up, UK is a positive for some good assts. now.

5. gasman01
    5:57 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Our Ohio recruiting base would take a big hit

6. blueblood80
    5:58 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Yep, if Coach Marrow left, I certainly wish him well, and am sincerely thankful he helped bring us to a new level. With present players and staff, we could be a couple friendly ball bounces away from competing for an SEC East title (barring a Touchdown Terry like injury)….

7. dcforuk
    9:55 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

If he is looking for a few more greenbacks, he is worth it. Give em another $100k raise!

8. satcheluk
    11:10 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

I’m hoping he gives us 3 more years or so. If he can groom a younger guy and transfer some of those relationships to him, then he can leave without a big drop in results. They are building a program, not just a team, so sustainability is not tied to a single person, but the whole can absorb a loss off the field, just like on the field.