Vince Marrow Describes Kentucky’s “Big Dog” Gator Bowl Offense

Vince Marrow has been handed the controller to Kentucky’s offense. He’s held various roles while working for Mark Stoops at Kentucky — tight ends coach, recruiting coordinator, NFL liaison and associate head coach. In the Gator Bowl he’ll break in a new title, offensive coordinator.

One of the most beloved figures in the BBN, everyone’s ears perked up when they heard the news that the Big Dog took control of the offense, but what exactly does a Vince Marrow offense look like?

Big Dog mentality. We’re going to be physical. We’re going to throw the ball but we’re still going to run the ball, try to eliminate penalties and sound, efficient football,” Marrow said Tuesday.

“I think when you look at, not just my offense but what we are at Kentucky, we’re always going to be physical. That’s never going to be something that people will question. But we will add more to the passing game to get guys like Josh Ali, Keaton Upshaw, Justin (Rigg); I can go down the line with them guys. We got some pretty good skill guys and we’re going to utilize their talents in this game.”

Kentucky’s offense will face NC State’s 3-3-5 defense this Saturday in Jacksonville. An unorthodox look rarely seen in the sport, the Wildcats have actually have the fortune of facing a similar style twice in the last two seasons, defeating UT-Martin in 2019 and Mississippi State in October.

“I actually went back and watched the Mississippi State game,” Marrow said on Tuesday. “They don’t move as much as Mississippi State, but it’s a 3-3-5 stack. I think (UK quality control assistants) Josh Estes-Waugh and Cody Lasita did a really good job helping me as we broke down these guys. I think we’re going to have a great plan.

“It really helps when you have experienced guys like Drake and Landon (Young) and Luke (Fortner) and those guys, Darian (Kinnard), Justin Rigg, guys who have played a lot of football up front. Hopefully, it makes my job easier. But I definitely do not like a 3-3-5. It reminded me of when I was in high school and I was a head coach and we would play the Wing-T. I hated seeing that and preparing for that stuff. But hey, that’s why they pay us money. We’ll go out and execute and try to do what we need to do.”

As UK’s offensive coaches curate their Gator Bowl game plan, Vince has to throw in a couple more passes to the tight ends, right? He dove into politics to explain his current dilemma.

It’s like being a Governor of a state and then you become President. You’re all about your state and then now you gotta worry about the whole country. That’s how it is with the offense now. I want to throw to the tight ends, but we also gotta look at the bigger picture. What’s good? What’s going to make the offense go?”

If Vince Marrow can find the correct answers to those questions, he could hand the offense to Liam Coen along with a two-game win streak.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

17 Comments for Vince Marrow Describes Kentucky’s “Big Dog” Gator Bowl Offense

1. Tej
    6:56 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

This should be fun.

2. bbn606
    6:57 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m hoping he has beginners luck going for him.

3. Miller45
    7:00 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

He’s so freakin cool man

4. oldfanallin
    7:42 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

And there is no film on his offense.

5. Mel O'Dious
    10:58 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

I agree with everyone’s comment(s). GO CATS!

6. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    11:16 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

If we go out, look legit, and the TEs get a bunch of positive touches, does a co-oc job come on the table?

7. east-ky-boy
    11:19 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

I played high school ball at Fleming neon. He mentioned the wing T. We ran a offense called the side saddle. It was a rare formation of the wing T. Not sure if anyone else runs it. The quarterback lined up sideways behind the center instead of directly under him. That way the ball can be snapped to the quarterback or a direct snap to the RB every play. Also a wingback was in motion every down as well. I know that’s random. Just remembering the good ole days a

• east-ky-boy
      11:22 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

Here was us in 1991. Some good examples of the side saddle.

• Ryan Lemonds Toupee
      10:35 am December 30, 2020 Permalink

I remember a lefty QB Bud Newsome from Betsy Lane

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:40 pm December 29, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never seen a QB line up like that. Interesting.

• east-ky-boy
      12:20 am December 30, 2020 Permalink

Of course we was more run oriented. But it was effective. Long story short, our coach played for Wyoming in the early 60s and his college coach was experimenting with that but never used it in a game. He came back to
      East Kentucky and used it with Elkhorn city high school and won a class A state championship in the 60s with it. We only lost 2 games in the year I posted. So it did work.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:34 am December 30, 2020 Permalink

Cool! I guess it added some wrinkles that were difficult to prepare for.

8. Ryan Lemonds Toupee
    10:33 am December 30, 2020 Permalink

Ol school Wing T works. Hard to defend. GTown college won a few Nattys w it. Scott County runs it for 20 years w a lot of success

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:37 am December 30, 2020 Permalink

I remember Vince Dooley said in an interview several years ago that some of the modern spread offenses are nothing more than a variation of the old veer, so what’s old becomes new. I think he was speaking particularly of the Urban Meyer type offense with QBs like Tebow.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      3:20 pm December 30, 2020 Permalink

A lot of spread offenses have veer plays in their playbook.