Vice Sports takes a shot at UK & UofL Football

Stoops-petrino

The “Pay for Play” debate with college athletes is an ongoing process.  There have been a variety of suggestions — allowing endorsement deals, increasing cost of attendance, etc. — but no steps have been taken to solve the problem.

Instead of looking for solutions, Vice Sports put a magnifying glass on the problem.  The title of the article gets their point across: “College Coaches and Administrators are Too Busy Paying Themselves to Pay Athletes.”

There are a variety of  hypocrisies pointed out.  The first two are directed to Bobby Petrino and Mark Stoops.

Petrino is putdown for the $500,000 academic bonus he receives each year his team meets its APR objective.  Petrino isn’t as prominent within crosshairs as Tom Zurich.  Jurich doesn’t think that Petrino’s bonus is uncalled for.  He also doesn’t think highly of paying players.

“If you pay somebody $100, somebody is going to want $200,” he said. “Pay somebody $200, somebody (else) will offer $300. Agree that everyone gets $300, somebody will want $400. It’s human nature. That won’t change.”

Jurich reportedly makes a little over $1.4 million a year. Phew, thank God we’re not offering people ridiculous incentives already.

Mark Stoops has another incentive that doesn’t make sense to outsiders, but it kinda does for UK fans.  Stoops makes an additional $100,000 for every SEC win after his first.  With back-to-back 2-6 SEC seasons, he’s made an additional $200,000.

Stoops has never been against paying players, but whenever asked about the situation he’s remained ambiguous.

“I realize it’s very complicated. It’s not as easy as just to say, ‘Yeah, I’d like to pay the players,'” he said. “I mean, of course I’d like to give the players more, but I also realize that’s a very complicated issue. You’re getting into a lot of things that I don’t have the answers for.

“So would I be in favor of giving the players a little bit more money? Sure. But I would have no idea about how to go about doing that, and I don’t think a lot of people do.”

The Kentucky coaches weren’t the only ones put on blast.  Vice calls Dabo Swinney of Clemson, Kirk Ferentz of Iowa and more in this article.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for Vice Sports takes a shot at UK & UofL Football

1. scorpiocard
    11:43 pm May 21, 2016 Permalink

Awesome.

What says “we are really dawg s*it stained doormat of our conference” more than putting a $100K bounty on any conference win over 1!! LMAO

I love uk football

• cats paw
      6:50 am May 22, 2016 Permalink

amen! we will pay you 3.5 mill/yr (10k a day) just to say we still have a team and $100k if you were to accidently win. forget the players, UK should pay these homer fans that cheer for this program!

• Eazy
      7:44 am May 22, 2016 Permalink

Did you clowns even read the article? Yeah, it talks about UK paying Stoops for SEC wins but points out that many other schools do the same thing. It also says Petrino’s bonus is the most ridiculous of all. I guess you Card homers missed that. And, they call out Jurich as the most crooked AD in the country. One more thing…UK was 14th in the country in total athletic revenue last year with $0 money taken from the students of the University. Louisville was 22nd in revenue but needed $8 million dollars from their students to make the top 25. UK gives back to the University, while Louisville continues to take from and screw the University and the City in the name of Athletics. You all are and always will be a joke. #L1C8

• scorpiocard
      10:52 am May 22, 2016 Permalink

^Hilarious post^ lmao

“And, they call out Jurich as the most crooked AD in the country”.

Did you read the article? It says nothing about Jurich being a “crook”. uk football fan delusion once again.

The article is obviously a hit piece in favor of paying players.

They claim it’s “easy” to win 6 games at Iowa St, and then go on to admit they have only done it 5 times in the last 12 years. Stupid? Yes.

But the point of my post is how funny it is that putrid programs like uk (and yes Iowa St too) are so desperate for wins that they give their coaches performance bonuses even when they still suck.

Funny stuff.

• theWilkman
      10:46 am May 23, 2016 Permalink

Of course an article about Stoops’ salary brings cats paw and scorpiocard out from under their rocks.

• scorpiocard
      12:20 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

You’ve got to admit that setting the bar for bonus money for conference wins at anything above ONE win is not a very good look. It reeks of desperation.

But then again, as Nick admits, uk fans probably do understand it, and its just based in reality I suppose.

Still, if I were AD I think I would make a coach show me more than two conference wins before I started cutting $100K checks to him.

2. bluegrassstu
    4:42 am May 22, 2016 Permalink

Pay the players? Maybe the rumors are not true about the SEC bagmen?

3. Blueblueblueblue
    8:09 am May 22, 2016 Permalink

The schools should be free to compensate players in whatever way they wish. Full scholarship, partial scholarship, 100k over 4 years, 4 million over four years, or nothing. Each player should sign a contract with he school prior to participating. This is the free market. It works for everyone else, why not football players.