Veterans Day Morning Wakeup

Today is Veterans Day, and even if you don’t know someone who has served, take time to pay respect to those who make what we do possible. Without the men and women who serve our country, you probably wouldn’t be reading KSR right now, nor have the freedom to debate Patrick Towles vs. Drew Barker in the comments section. These days, freedom is something we take for granted way too often, so for at least one day, don’t. Thank a service member. Pay for his or her coffee. Let them ahead of you in line. They’ve earned it.

Personally, I’d like to thank my uncle, my father-in-law, Freddie Maggard, and Matthew Bradford, some of the veterans I know. Matthew’s become a friend of the site and continues to inspire us. Here he is celebrating the 240th birthday of the Marines yesterday with his beautiful daughter:

I know Matthew’s probably itching for some news about the Cats, so let’s give it to him.

We’ll hear from Mark Stoops SEC Teleconference

Last night, Shannon Dawson didn’t shed any light onto the quarterback situation, so hopefully, we’ll hear a little bit more from Stoops at 12:40 p.m. on the SEC Teleconference. Stoops was feisty — to say the least — the last time we heard him speak on Monday. I doubt we’ll find out too much from two or three questions on the teleconference, but I’ll listen and bring you the highlights.

DJ Eliot will address the media

UK’s defensive coordinator will take his turn in front of reporters tonight after practice. Vanderbilt has one of the worst offenses in the country and after a juggernaut of Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Georgia, surely there are some positives on the defensive side of the ball this week. Right?!

Wenyen Gabriel will sign his Letter of Intent at 1 p.m.

Today is the first day of the early signing period, and Wenyen Gabriel, the five-star power forward from New Hampshire who committed to Kentucky in October, will sign his letter of intent at 1 p.m. Fellow commit Sacha Killeya-Jones will do the same on Saturday.

De’Aaron Fox will announce tomorrow

All signs point in the Cats’ direction for the nation’s top point guard, who, according to ye olde Kyle Tucker, would be John Calipari’s sixth number one point guard recruit since 2007. Something tells me this Calipari guy is good with guards or something. Let’s get ready to welcome the latest into the fold tomorrow evening.

The current College Football Playoff rankings

Thoughts? I’m glad to have Alabama back up there, but for some reason, I still can’t take Clemson seriously.

The KSR Podcast drops this afternoon

Like Mark Stoops on KSR, I came into the taping fired up last night. Usually the “voice of reason,” I had some things to say about the current state of the UK football program, and at one point, I think I caught the guys off guard. Check back in around 3 p.m. to judge for yourself.

Kyle Kuric continues to show progress

Last week, the former Louisville player went to a hospital in Barcelona for a migraine when doctors discovered he had a brain tumor. Since then, he’s gone through two major brain surgeries, and thankfully is finally showing signs of improvement. Kuric is now off the ventilator and breathing on his own. From his dad’s Facebook page:

Rivalry or not, our thoughts continue to go out to Kuric and his family.

KSR starts in one hour

Go ahead and get some work done now.

11 Comments for Veterans Day Morning Wakeup

1. RUPPS.rhetoric
    9:04 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Get better Kyle!

2. bigblueforever
    9:14 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Thank you to all vets. Today and everyday. My father, father in law, my two brothers in law and a dear friend of mine that was injured in Beruit in the bombing that occurred in the 80’s.
    I didn’t have the balls to do what any of them did.

3. secrick
    9:44 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Thanks to all the Men and Women that served this great country. God Bless You all.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:01 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

I will echo what other have said – we owe everyone who has served our country the utmost gratitude for the sacrifices that they made for us. Some gave the ultimate sacrifice, but all made some type of sacrifice in their own way – the regimen of basic training, handing over a sizable portion of your time and talents to our country with relatively modest compensation, and the uncertainty of whether you will be pressed into service and put in harm’s way with little notice. For all of that, I am grateful.

Also, I want to give a shout out to our first responders, particularly the friends and family of the fallen Richmond Police Officer Daniel Ellis, who will be laid to rest today. Like our military, those folks are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to keep us safe. Blessings to all of them.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:06 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Also, very encouraged to hear that Kyle is making progress. I hope he makes a fast, full recovery. He is a first class person, no matter what team he plays for.

6. cats42301
    11:40 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

I am wondering when defenses penetrate into our backfield and the QB has little time to throw, how would a shovel pass or two work against the defense? Of course once you do it once or twice the D would be ready for it but I’m thinking a quick shovel pass to Boom at the line of scrimmage while the defense has blitzed or over penetrated could turn into a big gainer a few times.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:54 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I know, right? IT’S SO EASY COACHING IN THE SEC!!!!

7. J-Dub421
    1:25 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

A huge thank you to all of our veterans! You are awesome!

And, get well Kuric.

8. Megan
    1:30 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

To those who have seen combat, even if it wasn’t to protect our freedom. Cheers.

9. Howdy Doody
    3:37 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

THANK YOU ALL AMERICAN SERVICE VETERANS!
    Get well soon Kyle, we are not all haters.
    It is just a game folks…

• UK Big Board Update