Photo by UK Athletics

It might be easier to list the players who didn’t receive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties as both teams drew flags for extracurricular activity after the whistle on several occasions throughout the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl. The unsportsmanlike conduct was an ongoing problem, and it got to the point of embarrassment when things continued late into the fourth quarter.

For Kentucky, penalties almost cost Mark Stoops’ team the game because the Cats were flagged 10 times for 103 yards in total.

NC State head coach Dave Doeren was the first to address the unnecessary roughness when he was asked to comment in the postgame press conference. Doeren placed the blame on Kentucky’s side, saying, “I don’t know. Maybe you should ask them. There was a lot of stuff underneath, on the ground and in the piles and different things like that. It’s hard to say.”

Mark Stoops took another approach by putting some of the blame on the Big Ten officiating crew in his explanation of the frequent penalties. Admitting he needs to clean up some discipline issues within his own locker room, Stoops said, “Some of the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, I gotta get cleaned up and I will. That’s not us. We’re not going to accept that. I’m not going to get into touchy or not or whatever, I really couldn’t tell.

But these were clearly not officials we’re used to, but it’s on me and on us and we’ll get that addressed. When you get in these bowl games you’re not used to certain officials and I have to do a better job preparing us for that.”

It’s fair to say some of the flags were on conduct that would’ve passed in the SEC (Luke Fortner’s penalty comes to mind), but there were still way too many issues after the play. Many worried it would spill over into the postgame handshakes, but both sides were respectful after the game, so at least it ended with the final whistle.

What do you make of the two coaches explanations?

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Doeren points to UK, Stoops says he’ll clean it up (but also refs)

1. zoupman
    4:54 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

Coaches on both sides should accept tje blame. They allowed it to happen.

2. TBW3011
    4:56 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

Lack of discipline. It’s been an issue under Stoops. Today was just another level though. I thought only one of them was a bad call.

• peaches76
      5:12 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

I can’t agree. The 2nd one on the State sideline came after an injured State player with a sling on was running his mouth. Not excusing our behavior but it seemed we were on the radar much more than State. Even on the onside kick their kid got hit a downed player then shove him without anything. That being said, it was pretty embarrassing. Glad we got the win. Should’ve won by 2-3 touchdowns though. Wilson…geez.

• EdC
      6:04 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

I completely agree. It is the same thing every year since he has been her. I like watching UK foottball better than basketball now but during the Stoops era they have been very mouthy every single game. Stoops complaining about it now is disingenuous at best.

• EdC
      6:05 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

BTW it certainly wasn’t all UK on the mouthing, pushing and shoving after plays.

• neat1ky
      9:25 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

I disagree, the ACC is pushed around as usual and they mouthing to us as well but ended up a lot of time like one of our players got into a player on side line, ours gets flagged and theirs didn’t so it was not all us but I do like the winning atmosphere to our program and maybe the trolls will hold off till next season

3. Mathlete
    5:22 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

The whining from Doeren is funny, it sounds wimpy coming from a Power 5 coach. “oh, they play so rough. We’re going back to our two hand touch league!”

• T-Town Cat
      5:28 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

That might explain why the ACC is 0-5 in bowl games, including having their three best teams blasted.

4. cllikeky
    6:03 pm January 2, 2021 Permalink

Doreen sour grapes. Who cares what he says? We won and his team wasn’t innocent either.

5. USMCatFan
    7:59 am January 3, 2021 Permalink

So the fault for a lot of the penalties lies with the B1G officials?

I guess the “G” in B1G stands for G-Rated. Who knew?

6. Middy
    8:50 am January 3, 2021 Permalink

If it weren’t for Miss. St. vs Tulsa, half the flags wouldn’t have been thrown.

7. bosshogg24
    6:11 pm January 4, 2021 Permalink

Stoops has no control over his players, it is like he is Headmaster at a Reform School, it got embarrassing!