UK/Mississippi State will kick off at 7:30 p.m. October 24

Kentucky’s streak of night games continues. The SEC announced this morning that UK at Mississippi State will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on the SEC Network. It’s a shame they’re robbing fans of all that Starkville nightlife.

That will be UK’s seventh night game this season. The Tennessee game the next week will make it eight night games this season, unheard of in previous years. Thanks, SEC Network!

17 Comments for UK/Mississippi State will kick off at 7:30 p.m. October 24

1. PG Walters
    12:19 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

I’m not against night games. I understand why UK likes to have these games at this time. In some cases I think that they do not have any choice because of TV. However, when you live two hours away, it does create some difficulties. When you consider that after the game is over if you decide to drive back to your home you will not arrive home until somewhere around 2 in the morning. If you decide to stay, assuming you can find a room, then you are confronted with the additional room cost. The motels increase normal room rates during these “special events”. A room that is normally $89 is now being priced at $199. As an example, because of the Breeders Cup races and the UK game are on the same date, the Courtyard at Marriott is charging $419 for the night. Of course, neither of those prices include government taxes. Although I am planning on still attending the games, these night game times do create a significant hardship on some of us. So, not all of UK fans are so excited because of these night games.

• Justin
      12:31 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

I’ll be heading down to Starkville to watch this one and if you think getting a hotel in Lexington is hard… We are having to stay an hour away in Tupelo, MS because Starkville doesn’t have anything at all.

• Pete
      12:52 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

I feel you. Living in Bowling Green makes it tuff. The noon games last year were hard too.

2. Dave
    12:21 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

We are the armpit of SEC timeslots.

• Jeffrey
      3:07 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

It’s Prime Time, nothing armpit about it

3. RealCatsFan
    12:36 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

If we are looking for rowdy fans for home field advantage, then the night games work well, but better for us to have our away games in that noon time slot, IMHO.

PG, I feel your pain on the late games if you have a long drive. It is sad to see the hotels gouging the fans like that, but I guess that is good old fashioned American free enterprise. Just like what the gas stations do whenever something happens in the Middle East.

4. Woodhouse
    12:44 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

Has the Tennessee game been confirmed as a night game or is Tyler just being hopeful?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:52 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

From what I hear, there’s a quiet agreement between UK and the SEC to make sure UK gets the night game so it won’t conflict with the Breeder’s Cup

• UKBlue1!
      1:02 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

Mrs. TT I hope you are right. A lot of liquor, a night game on Halloween the New Commonwealth should be in a frenzy for UT.

5. ClutchCargo
    12:44 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

Why do our fans seem to be the only ones who whine about night games? Half the games on any given Saturday are at night. I know this probably comes across as me attacking PG Walters, but I honestly just want to understand. There must be plenty of other schools whose fans live 2+ hours away and it doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal. What am I missing?

6. Jeff
    12:57 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

I LOVE night games. Atmosphere is 10x’s better!

7. Dierter
    1:10 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

UK fans do seem to whine about these night games…honestly, the added exposure and recruiting benefits of this time slot far outweigh any fan inconvenience. I highly disagree that this is a “armpit time slot.” On the contrary, that is just the early side of prime time with a great opportunity to have folks over for some food and game watching.

8. Mamawildcat
    1:15 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

I haven’t made it home before 2:00 AM yet and wouldn’t have it any other way. Night game atmosphere is unbeatable and there is plenty of time to tailgate. I hope they are all night games especially Louisville. #ALLIN

9. RealCatsFan
    1:20 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

Night games are much better than noon time slot. Same goes for basketball. I hate all those noon start times at Rupp.

10. TiredoftheNightGames
    2:09 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

I am pretty sure if you ask the players they don’t like the night games either. I’d prefer that 3:30 time slot but the SEC Network hasn’t asked me!

11. Bluetothebone
    3:43 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

PGA Walters…live in Louisville so it is the same way for us, BUT wouldn’t have it any other way because of atmosphere for game…my motivation for this is what is best for the team not my personal comfort…Justin a group of us will be at MS and we drive down AND back the same day…making all road games!!!

12. LuLu Wrighter
    6:10 pm October 12, 2015 Permalink

The night games are the best. You have all day to anticipate and get excited for the game leading to a great atmosphere at the stadium. I would much prefer a night game to a noon game where you are sweltering in the heat or a 3:30 game where your whole day is lost if you go to the game. At least with night games you can still have a free morning/early afternoon before heading to the stadium if you choose.