UK will play New Mexico State in 2016

The 2015 season is little over a month away, but UK is already finalizing their schedule for 2016. According to FBSchedules.com, UK will host New Mexico State at Commonwealth Stadium on September 17, 2016.

The Cats will pay the Aggies $1.3 million for the game, which completes the 2016 non-conference schedule:

• September 3: vs. Southern Miss, Commonwealth Stadium
  • September 17: vs. New Mexico State, Commonwealth Stadium
  • November 19: vs.¬†Austin Peay, Commonwealth Stadium
  • November 26: @ Louisville, Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium

As Freddie Maggard points out, New Mexico State is coached by Doug Martin, who both played (1981-1984) and coached (1986-1987) at UK.

Bring it on, Aggies.

[FBSchedules.com]

8 Comments for UK will play New Mexico State in 2016

1. Blue_denim
    2:52 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

I understand we are still years away from competing with most power 5 schools again but I really wish we would schedule a more exciting home game..at least one that can help with recruiting. I’d rather see Miami, or Penn St or some school that might beat us but will get me excited to watch. Oh well, rack up the wins where we can

2. Tdbrown90
    3:16 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

As long as we keep going away from FCS cupckaes evefry year I’m OK with teams like USM and New Mexico state

3. fatbrat
    3:32 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Part of this is probably a favor to Doug Martin. He is trying to develop a program of his own.

4. Billy Hill
    3:40 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Stoops knows he can’t make a bowl game without 4 cupcakes on the schedule.

• Brian
      3:45 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Yeah. Unfortunately, we don’t play in the ACC…

5. smackdab
    3:47 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

I wish UK would schedule Toledo. Not only would that mean that I get to see them, but it would make a lot of sense because its around the area that we are recruiting. Toledo, Bowling Green, Akron, etc.

• asdf
      3:52 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

It wasn’t that many years ago that Akron came to town, and they brought a fun bunch of fans with them. I enjoyed meeting them. I wouldn’t mind that crowd coming back down again.

6. JohnW
    4:46 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

I am OK with scheduling teams that we never get to see… much better then all the MAC schools…..and of Course this is a School that we are not going to have to do a home and home with…. I would like to see us get one of the Military Schools and WAC teams who also like throw it around…an Occasional game wit VA Tech, Maryland, or Virginia would be good to if were going to recruit that area no sense going to Ohio if we can pull them recruits without going there… West Virginia would be fun to… We build up our depth then we can build up the schedule here and there…