UK will not go to a bowl game

Breaking news: the NCAA just announced it will fill extra bowl games with teams with 5-7 records based on Academic Progress Rate (APR). This means Kentucky is out. The highest APRs of the 5-7 teams remaining are in, in order, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas State, Minnesota, San Jose State, Illinois, and Rice. Kentucky’s score, 945, falls well below the scores from those programs.

The extra practices would have been nice, but this is probably for the best. Time to take this season around the shed and put it to bed.

33 Comments for UK will not go to a bowl game

1. ukcamel
    5:10 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

I think the extra practice would have some benefits, but selfishly I’m happy to move on from this disappointing season.

2. JaminTheCoach
    5:10 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Too bad. The extra practices would have been great and for us real fans, another chance to support the kids.

• Jaxson
      5:16 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

You real ‘fanboys’ are the problem. Any rational fan can see that Stoops is in over his head. KY will be lucky to go 4-8 next year but you’ll easily be able to “support the kids.” Especially since the stadium will be half empty.

• Long Dong Silver
      5:31 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Yes, because you are the only real fan. Yeah! You tell us gow we can try to be as great as you. You real fan, you. Sanctimonious arse.

• Long Dong Silver
      5:35 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

By the way, questioning things doesn’t mean you aren’t a fan. Blindly clapping doesn’t make you more of a fan.

• JaminTheCoach
      6:10 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

You miss the point. Coaching decisions aren’t up to me, nor you. This is about the kids. Regardless of how they were coached, they were still out there giving it all they had under the leadership they had. This isn’t about coaches. This is about the kids, and frankly, as a UK fan, I can’t see how you don’t support them, regardless of who the coach is. I’m sure if you asked any of the kids who are out there playing whether they want to play or sit it out, they’d all play and that is what matters.

• Long Dong Silver
      6:22 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

No, I got your point that you are Super Fan, and like to pat your own back.

• BluKudzu
      11:32 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Jackinthecrotch is an idiot. She has no clue about anything and she proves it with her posts. Total loser. She enjoys getting beat by WKU and Louisville every year.

• J-Dub421
      12:13 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

BluKudzu, quit being a sexist jerk. If you want to disagree with someone, then do so, but calling someone “she” as a derogatory term is a dick move.

3. RightForTheFight
    5:14 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Why has Mizzou been so fortunate over the past few years? (Aside from the campus events this season).

4. Angelo
    5:48 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

How did Stoops become defensive coordinator of national champion Florida State? Why does Uk appear so poorly coached? I fear Stoops knows nothing about offense. Or hiring offensive coordinators.

5. BigBlue2U
    5:57 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

This makes me sick. They are literally giving out bowl games to losing teams, and not only are we so bad that we imploded but our APR isn’t even good enough to get us a participation trophy??? So much for “losing the right way” or whatever cliché you could attach here. Stoops has embarassed this program just like Joker before him.

6. jaws2
    6:16 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Well thank goodness! We would have just been embarrassed losing to another 5-7 team. Would the complete embarrassment been overridden by the extra practice? Not with this staff, it would have been wasted time for the players.

7. The Rest of the story
    6:37 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Justice has been served, thanks to Stoops another great 5-7 season is complete.

8. GACAT
    6:40 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

If I were the President of the University of Kentucky, I would be calling Mark Richt immediately!!!!!!

• Kat 308
      12:44 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I like stoops and think he really needs 5 years to turn this program around but hell yeah hire Mark Richt

9. FanbaseSucks
    7:01 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

The young men and coaches did everything they could this year, yes they had many set backs. This fan base has been terrible though. With the exception of the Charlotte game…every game should have been packed from start to finish. Every other school in the SEC packs their house every night regardless of the completion or quality of there team. The fan base ran off the only experienced QB on the roster for something he couldn’t fix (O-Line) and now they want Stoops gone. Careful what you all wish for, it’s not like this team can go and get a top 5 coach. No one seems to understand that in order to be successful in the SEC they must stock talent for years. The revolving door of coaches won’t help anything. Your just restarting from nothing at that point. To bash the coaches and players non stop the whole year is wrong. The goal was to make a bowl…reality is they missed it. Even with a chance to make that goal the fans still cried and said “No we’re to good for that bowl.” This fan base is why this University can’t have football…Never satisfied on anything and never the patience to wait things out.

• KTower
      7:21 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

With all due respect Kentucky has a great fan base. But face facts we have had some really awful teams over the years and people will not show up for bad football.

I think this year was about average for Kentucky. However the way we lost some games was troubling. Kentucky should not lose to Vanderbilt or lose a 21 point lead to Louisville for example. That is something Stoops needs to fix. Stoops makes big $$$ and he has a real opportunity at Kentucky. I predict Stoops will make some good decisions this off season.

• jaws2
      7:39 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

You must drink so much blue kool aide that you crap and pee blue. At least you can say you’re a big blue fan! I’ve been waiting patiently since the early 70′ to have a more than average football program so please don’t accuse me of not being a fan. The university has gotten my ticket money and contributions to the general fund since before then, so please get off your sanctimonious horse. You and others that drink this stuff have no idea what others have given to make this program successful. I’ve only asked to be competitive in the SEC and beat Loserville. This staff has lost games in too many embarrassing ways to list and we are staring at a 4-8 season next year. I suppose you’ll still say we’re not ‘fans’. At what point do you and other ‘fans’ like you think enough is enough?

• Art Vandalay
      8:04 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

That’s actually the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on this site.

There’s not another SEC school out there with fans that would tolerate even a fraction of the lack of effort, enthusiasm, or just competence in general.

Not only would the stadiums have been empty but there would have been rioting. Richt was fired with a 9-3 record.

I’m going to ask that Mitchell and Stoops do what they can to build a competitive program. If we don’t show improvement or effort, I will stay home and watch on TV rather than spend my money at Commonwealth. And I will complain and say I’m not satisfied with where we are.

I feel like I’m being reasonable about this.

• Catlogic15
      9:36 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

FanBaseSucks, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

• itslitBBN
      2:52 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

you right, BBN is only true fans around basketball season. We need more support for Stoops and the cats!

10. Rsn2GoBlu
    7:47 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

When some sites were predicting us playing NC State in the Independence Bowl , I saw nothing good about this scenario. Extra practices would have meant squat after a Wolfpack plastering. Never been more happy to see the season end than this year.

11. binarysolo
    7:53 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

We are what we thought we are!

As I watched the football team fall apart last season and this season, all I could think of was the term “Peter Principle.” It’s management theory that basically says in any line of work you’ll keep getting promoted until you are no longer able to handle the job.

So far, based on what we’ve seen on the field, it feels like we’re looking at a staff made of up coaches who’ve been promoted once too many times. Stoops may be an excellent DC but is he HC material?

12. Bill the Cat
    8:37 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

All I want for Christmas:

1) Immediately call Mark Richt and do whatever it takes for him to take the position of offensive coordinator/QB coach and co-recruiting coordinator in charge of the SE area of the country. This would compliment Vince Marrow’s strength in the OH/PA area.

2) Allow Richt to find his own O-line and receivers coaches. I would strongly recommend bringing Joker Philips back to the offensive side of the coaching staff and in some type of recruiting capacity in the SE area also. (Joker may listen but this one would probably be hard to accomplish)

3) Get the fan confidence ahead of the team performance. CWS is too easy for an opponent to coach in. When the defense needs noise, too many are silent. Cat fans are extremely loyal and travel well but the environment at CWS for a total game is not intimidating at all. If UK is to be successful, the fans will have to pull the team over the hump in some games. Not saying we need to throw batteries and bottles at opponents, but please put the knitting needles and books away folks!

4) Mark Stoops to become the Head coach/Defensive Coordinator, taking a more assertive role in defensive performance and allowing Richt to run the offense.

5) Move DJ Eliot to DE coach, period! If he doesn’t get it, it’s obviously a football thing he doesn’t understand.

6) Find someone like Steve Ortmayer to coach special teams and TEs for a few years. We haven’t had good special teams or used our TEs correctly since Joker got rid of Ortmayer left.

This is my short Christmas list.

• Catlogic15
      9:48 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

That may be the most rediculous comment, several in fact, that I’ve read here in some time.

• Leroy Bird - 00
      10:32 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Bill The Cat – I am literally weak in the knees and even have my wife belly laughing about the idea of Mark Richt coming here as a coordinator for Stoops.

dude – that is some funny a*& Sh*&.

• Rsn2GoBlu
      9:33 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

You forgot to add Les Miles as the WR and special teams coach. Les is still wanting a contract extension that won’t be coming in Baton Rouge.

13. bigblueforever
    9:13 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

“UK Will Not Go To A Bowl Game”. Shouldn’t this story have been written after the EKU game?
    They give out bowls to teams with losing records. UK still doesn’t make one! I see the progress. Give Stoops another raise!!! He’s just gettin started, bro!!

14. keiths
    9:22 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

So, not only are we bad a football, we have a bunch of dumb asses playing?

• ReedyCreekBuc
      9:42 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for making me laugh keiths!

• catdaddyd
      12:48 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

But they do like to dance.

15. Howdy Doody
    11:41 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

Praise GAWD All Mighty!!! We can not take a n y more embarrassment..