UK reveals new CWS field design

Fans hoping for the return of the Power K are going to be a little disappointed in Commonwealth Stadium’s new field design, but the checkerboard end zone proponents got their wish.

The new field will feature the new UK logo at midfield, 10 yards wide, with blue checkerboard end zones and KENTUCKY in white lettering.

In today’s release, UK said fan opinion was taken into account throughout the process:

For example, the painted blue end zones were mentioned frequently in feedback received through BBN First. Based on this feedback, blue end zones were tested for the final home game in 2014 and eventually embraced as part of the new field design.

So what do we think, BBN?

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for UK reveals new CWS field design

1. Catsby80
    11:57 am May 14, 2015 Permalink

I like the subtle checkerboard in the endzones… All in all, I think the field looks pretty good. Fans better embrace this new UK logo because it is about to be everywhere – like it or not.

• TurnerTheBurner
      12:13 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

The new logo stinks. I have enough UK gear to last until they change it again.

• itsUKnotUofK
      2:37 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

TurnerTheBurner nailed it.

2. symphonist41169
    12:06 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Don’t care if the end zones are PINK as long as we find them and keep others out of them.

3. BiggestCatsFanInOhio
    12:08 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I know, I like the older logo better, but we’ll probably be seeing this new one everywhere moving forward. There’s something about the horizontal part of the ‘K’ I don’t like, and I don’t like how it wraps around the ‘U’ instead of crossing over it.

That aside, the field looks great. I really enjoy the Secretariat checkerboard motif and like the patterned look it gives the jerseys, and now, field. I like that there isn’t an oversized, gimmicky type of graphic at midfield

4. cracka
    12:11 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I think it looks pretty sharp … I wouldn’t use the Power K as the midfield logo, either … maybe bring that back on a few uniforms – they’ve been doing awesome with all the new uniform options lately

5. Sin The
    12:13 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

UKlogo is wa too small IMO.

• Great American
      12:40 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I agree. The old logo was too small and now the new one is going to be too small. I think extending it to like the 42 yard lines and making it taller would look better.

• JBForty
      3:06 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I agree. I wish the midfield logo would span approximately 40 to 40, hash mark to hash mark. Louisiana-Lafayette has a larger midfield logo and its the perfect size. Hopefully this mock up isn’t to scale.

6. Sin The
    12:15 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

looking at the NEWCWS site I noticed that they are getting the surface ready for the turf. It looks like they installed thedrainage and ae smoothing the suface.

7. Cats or Die
    12:51 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

New logo is turrible, Kenny.

8. heblu235
    12:51 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

It is going to be really nice to have this field turf. This will help our RB be quicker and faster our kickers be more consistent. Toward the end of the year we won’t see players loosing their footing due to repaired turf. We had astro turf when I was in college and that stuff was awful. Infected carpet burns and knee and ankle injuries were prevalent. This stuff is much easier on the body and looks good.

9. Adam From Awesome Trot
    1:46 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

The broken-arm K looks terrible, and checkers are a Tennessee thing. This field is nearly as embarrassing as the product that it hosts.

• Time Expired
      2:13 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Then go back to your Cards and stop trolling here.

10. Time Expired
    2:15 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

The overall field looks fine to me. Not special but not the focus of the game, the players are.

11. Billy Mays Here
    3:27 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I like the field, but, to be honest, I absolutely hate the new “broken-arm” K. I cannot imagine the fan base input was truly considered, or that K would not have been chosen. It is awful.

12. JVice
    3:30 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

The power K was awful. Why all the nostalgia? It always reminded me of KarmelKorn in the old Lexington Mall.

• Gowcats
      10:12 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I still like the Power K if for no other reason than it sets us apart from KU, and it seems there are a lot of people who confuse us with them.

13. heblu235
    10:00 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

All the Tennessee loops are up in arms over the checkerboard end zone. They claim they own the checkerboards. What a bunch of maroons.