UK makes Eddie Gran and Darin Hinshaw’s hirings official

eddiegranuk

It’s official: UK just announced it has hired Eddie Gran as the new Assistant Head Coach Offense/Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach. We’ve told you a lot about Gran in the past few days, so here are some quote from Mark Stoops.

“Having worked with Eddie at Florida State, he is an outstanding coach with great experience, including a lot of years in the SEC,” Stoops said. “He is a great leader with tremendous passion for the game.”

Gran joins UK’s staff after a three-year run as the offensive coordinator at Cincinnati. He previously worked with Mark Stoops at Florida State while serving as the associate head coach, running backs coach and special teams coordinator from 2010-12. He’s also worked at Miami (Fla.), Ole Miss, Auburn and Tennessee.

“I’m very excited to be at Kentucky,” Gran said. “I had the opportunity at Florida State to work three years with Coach Stoops, and No. 1, it’s his passion for football and what he stands for — family. I really got know Chantel and the kids as my kids were able to be with them for three years. All of that matters in this profession and being around great people is important.

“I’m excited about the challenges. It’s a great conference. It’s the best conference in America and if you’re a college football coach this is the level you want to be coaching. I spent 15 years in the SEC and being in those stadiums and the defenses you will be facing, it’s what you want if you’re a competitor and if you want to play against the best.”

Welcome aboard, Coach Gran. To read the complete release from UK, click here.

hinshawuk

UK also announced Darin Hinshaw’s hiring as the new co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Here are Stoops’ comments on Hinshaw:

“Darin has a great offensive mind and his experience includes time in the Southeastern Conference,” Stoops said. “I’ve been impressed with how well they’ve produced at Cincinnati and how prolific they have been in throwing the football.”

Hinshaw served as the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Cincinnati under Gran and before then, coached at Tennessee. In 2011, he was ranked one of the top ten recruiters in college football by Rivals.com.

“This is a great opportunity to be back in the SEC and I’m really looking forward to it,” Hinshaw said. “I’ve always looked at Kentucky as a program that has the potential to be very, very good and we can put up the points and yards that will equal wins and help get us to bowl games. That’s why I’m taking this opportunity.  I’m very excited to be back in the SEC and be a part of Kentucky and the Big Blue Nation.”

To read more about Hinshaw, click here.

39 Comments for UK makes Eddie Gran and Darin Hinshaw’s hirings official

1. Long Dong Silver
    2:11 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Yay! Bill Engval is our new OC!

• InigoMontoya
      2:23 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

NO, it’s Eddie Grant.

He’s gonna rock down to Alumni (Electric) Avenue. And then he’ll take us higher.

• Long Dong Silver
      2:43 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Um, someone already said that on the show today.

• InigoMontoya
      2:46 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, that was me!

At least I got J-Lo to laugh!

• UK Big Board Update
      4:15 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Who the hell is Bill Engval?

• Long Dong Silver
      5:36 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Oh heavenly days!!! I forgot the last “L” in Engvall’s name. Aren’t you the clever one!

• UK Big Board Update
      8:22 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

No, I’m asking who he is.

• Long Dong Silver
      10:50 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

He is a comedian. Not my style, but a comedian.

2. Catsby80
    2:16 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

All of his experience and his background in the SEC make this appear to be a pretty good hire. I was never really off the football wagon, but this has got me borderline excited for football for next season. Go cats!

3. Rajonrondo9
    2:16 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

That smile by Hinshaw lol

• Rsn2GoBlu
      3:18 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

As the Joker once said ““Let’s put a smile on that face”.

• tippytoe
      4:43 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Is he trying to do the Elvis lip thing, or Billy Idol?

4. BluKudzu
    2:27 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

This guy has his work cut out for him. He has to establish himself with the players, he has to review the entire past season to get an understanding of what he has to work with, he has to get Barker to stop being a head case and dancing and start being an SEC QB, and most of all, he is going to have to figure out how to get 5 scores per game, with this personnel, just to keep UK in the game, due to the loads of points our defense gives up every game.
    It seems, that I remember MB hiring Stoops to go a different direction, to build a contender with defense first. Well, we are miles from being competitive defensively, again, and we focus on offense. Until we can play defense against a spread offense with a mobile QB, we are kidding ourselves as to ever being competitive in the SEC, or our own state.
    I wish this guy nothing but the best, and I hope he is tremendously successful.
    We need to focus on defense, eventually, or it will be the same ol’ UK, doing the same ol’ UK things; losing seasons, every year.

• david8577
      2:56 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

You don’t watch much football huh? It was the short drives on offense that wore out our defense. Defense wasn’t great by any stretch, but they were not the main issue last season.

• blueballs80
      3:03 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Granted the defense wasn’t stellar but the offense had far too many 3 and outs and 2nd half no shows.

• The Rest of the story
      3:39 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Offense and defense were terrible last year so do not anyone put it only on one side of the ball. Also no one should expect a whole lot next year either as this is a total rebuild of the offense with this hire. Stoops has a broken team and he may have hired a repair on the offensive side instead of a band aid. Now he must get a defense that can play four quarters.

• BluKudzu
      3:49 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

David, you are as naïve as most, but that is ok, I am sure you watch a lot of football. To answer your question, I have been involved with football, as a player and a coach, but I will circle back to that later.
      If you are happy with what we have on defense, expect the same. We still need to stop the other team from scoring. After seeing how poorly we performed this past season on defense, it is difficult to put the blame entirely on the offense. Or do you really watch much football?
      Teams don’t score over 50 points on us because we just have a bad offense, and a less than stellar defense. They score like a pinball machine on us because we don’t have a defense.
      We will need to have 5 scores to even be in the game in the SEC and in two of the out of conference games next year. We get those scores, we have a shot at being competitive, until the defense gets better, that is as good as it will get.
      Any coach will tell you defense wins championships, offense scores the points. Teams with the best defense usually win the most games, too. Check it out. Unless, of coarse, a 12-24 football record is acceptable to you.

• Booby Petrino
      4:02 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see too much credibility in a person who doesn’t know how to use “coarse” and “course” properly.

5. pithuahua
    2:38 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Welcome to the BBN.

6. blueballs80
    2:39 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Why was he not hired last year? Stoops took the advice of his brothers and hired Dawson. He should stop taking his brothers advice.

7. Marty
    2:43 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

While I’m excited for the new hires. I think as far as football we need to think and take into perspective more on the “62 year history” statement made by Coach Stoops, and every year we should think the football team will go 0-12 and be /very/ excited when they get a win every time. Yes I’d love for them to be going to a major bowl every year, but in the SEC and knowing UK’s history even in the last 30-40 years, it’s not likely that will happen. To me UK football if it were allowed should be playing teams maybe in the junior college list for all 12 games and work their way up through the college ranks till they get back into D I competition. Yes many may say they’re better than 90% of the teams out there no matter what level, but I think UK and /all/ teams need to prove that fact. Some prove it most every year by going to major bowls, or playoffs depending which level your school is in. I think as UK football fans however we need a second SEC team to cheer for that we know will win more often, Yet when UK plays that team cheer for UK. but other times cheer them both knowng more than likely UK will lose, and the other team will win against whoever they play. I seriously don’t think there’s anything or combination of things that could be done to help UK overall. you could if you could afford them bring in the #1 coaches/coordinators in every spot and all 5 star recruits and still likely not get to 6-6 every year. So like many of us start each basketball season thinking 40-0 is a done deal, we need to start each football season thinking 0-12 is inevitable.and be happy when we do win a football game. If we get bowl eligible at all be really happu if we win that bowl be even happier, should we ever get lucky and win the SEC regular season, be happy, SEC title game, even more so. Playoff game even happier, playoff champs? Happiest of all.

• CPACAT
      2:52 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

I love this idea Marty! If we go into every season expecting 0-12, based on our less than illustrious history, then any win 1-11, 2-10, becomes a reason to celebrate. Won’t sell any tickets based on that, but the team won’t disappoint the fan base either.

• Laker Cat 18
      2:57 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

I think that’s part of the problem with the vision of UK football. We throw in the towel before we even play. History has shown to support that, but we will never improve if we don’t have a brighter vision for the program. You have to have money. We have that. You have to have guys in place who will embrace the challenge of taking a bottom-dweller and improving. I think we have that as well. Lastly, you have to have fan support. We have great fans, greatest in the world in my opinion. Unfortunately, we have those few (like all other fan bases) who ruin it for the rest. Those few are louder than everyone else. Those fans carry towels with them to work daily just waiting for an opportunity to throw it in and give up. I want to win and I refuse to carry a towel.

• chimichanga
      3:02 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, towel carriers can eat a dick!

• ClutchCargo
      3:38 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Marty, I read through that, but it made my head hurt. You’re saying we should: 1) go into each season expecting 0-12; 2) cheer for a different SEC team since ours sucks; 3) accept that our team will always suck, no matter how many good coaches and top recruits we can bring in.

So, in short, we need to just accept that we are terrible at football and deal with it. Adopting that mentality will definitely lead to more sold out games at CWS. WTF?

8. Catlogic15
    2:44 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

What the heck does “Assistant Head Coach Offense/Offensive Coordinator” mean anyway?
    Is that a way to tell the fans that Stoops will no longer meddle? I’ll believe it when I see it.

• inside info2
      3:08 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

This is an extra carrot to get the guy over here. It looks better on his resume for his next job.

9. inside info2
    2:49 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Welcome to BBN Coach Gran and Coach Hinshaw. Great to see some SEC experienced coaches that have called there own plays before.

• inside info2
      2:55 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

*their

10. 2thepoint
    3:07 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

You guys are ridiculous! We hire guys with experience and success at positions we desperately needed and yet the sky is falling!

• 2thepoint
      3:09 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Sorry started the comment before the latter ones were posted.

11. CrazyCayts
    3:11 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Impressive Photoshop work.

12. The Rest of the story
    3:51 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

If all goes well and UK does not lose more players and Stoops can recruit some 4 star players then UK may be bowl eligible in 2 or 3 yrs. Please everyone do not expect a lot next year as the line up on the field will not be all that different next season with the same players. These coaches have got a lot of work to do to get players focused and the team ready for each game and develop the players to be better at what they do. This is a coaching thing at UK and it is on them to make UK a success. Other schools do better with less talent so coach em up coaches.
    PS North Dakota St. is playing for their 5th FCS national championship in a row. Now that is coaching.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:19 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

LMAO!!!

• The Rest of the story
      4:57 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Speaking of asses ^^^^^^^

• UK Big Board Update
      5:00 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Awww, U mad, bro? 😉

That last line, though. Kudos. That made me literally LOL.

• The Rest of the story
      6:48 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Keep following me you stalker since I own you ….lol

• UK Big Board Update
      8:24 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

LMAO, you think so.

You just tend to be the most consistent when it comes to stupid shit. You’re almost TOO easy. 😉

13. Laker Cat 18
    4:09 pm December 29, 2015 Permalink

Here’s to hoping clock management improves on the offensive side of the ball. We shouldn’t be running a no-huddle offense if we’re up 3 scores in the 2nd half. (As shown at South Carolina.) Run the clock!