UK Football season ticket sales down 14% from 2015

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Given the number of close calls and heartaches in the past few seasons, I think it’s safe to say the UK Football fanbase is…apprehensive about the upcoming season. That “Show Me” mentality is reflected in the season ticket sales. According to Jen Smith of the Herald-Leader, season ticket sales are down about 14% from last season.

A UK official said the school has sold 33,217 season tickets, down a little more than 5,000 tickets from the 38,658 sold for the 2015 season. Kentucky has sold about 1,000 season tickets since early July.

As Smith notes, that number doesn’t include student ticket sales, 4,033 of which have been sold thus far. That’s down from the 5,009 sold last season.

For more details, head on over to the Herald-Leader.

21 Comments for UK Football season ticket sales down 1421.000000rom 2015

1. CopenhagenCat
    11:11 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

Gee. I wonder why? I love UK football. But it gets old watching a losing team over and over. Especially one that can’t tackle or throw the ball down the field. Lord I just hope the play calling has change some also this year.

2. Irwin R. Fletcher
    11:13 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

All things considered, they should be pretty happy with that.

3. CatFanDu
    11:13 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

So technically speaking, someone that wants to speculate on the future could snap up seats that are 15% “better” than they could last season.;)

cfd- Got mine upgraded!

• Kernel Sanders
      11:26 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

Speculating on UK football? That’s akin to someone throwing all their money down on horse wagon manufacturers in the late 1800’s, or buying the rights to install pay phones on street corners, or buying up Kodak and Polaroid stock 10 years ago, or cornering the market on Ryan Lochte autographed memorabilia…..you get the idea.

My tried and true speculation was to give up FB season tix 20+ years ago and take the freebie tix from friends and relatives when the season goes in the tank and they don’t want to go to another game. Or buy a ticket in front of CWS for $10 at game time. That method has been successful about 59 of the last 65 years. Sadly.

• CatFanDu
      12:47 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

Just remember this “kernel”, Kentucky Fried Chicken was a similar crapshoot speculation!
      Look, this deal was projected to be a 5-6 year rebuilding process when Stoops was hired, and we all know the history of the program, so spare us your misery. GO BIG BLUE!!!

• Kernel Sanders
      1:04 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

“Crapshoot” is an accurate term. Lol, who exactly projected this 5-6 year rebuild? Seriously. Barnhart? Matt Jones? Stoops? Think they all have vested interest in you buying what they are selling?

I am far from miserable. I was miserable when I was emotionally invested in UK football. I was miserable when I was financially invested, throwing thousands of $$ at tickets and parking. No more…I enjoy going to a couple games a year….like I said above spending about $10 on a ticket at game time.

I don’t know…maybe you bought into the same pipe dream when Claiborne, Curry, Mumme, (fill in the blank with any UK FB coach you want) was hired and a “rebuilding process” was promised. I have no quarrel with you…enjoy the season. I have earned the right to espouse whatever opinion I want about UK football and if you do know the history like you say, then you know the odds are I will be more accurate than you when I chuckle at your 5-6 year rebuild projection.

4. Patches
    11:24 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

With all the success of the last 2 years getting 5 wins each season how can this be? Really I am surprised that it is not more with poor coaching , poor player development and continued struggles with teams not even in the SEC. Hope Stoops sees this as a wake up call and gets this team motivated to not just win but to take the non conference teams to the woodshed.

5. ky1988
    11:32 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like to many bandwagon fans.

• BluKudzu
      4:43 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

I respect your opinion, and you may indeed be correct about the majority.I find it is hard, for me to use a wide brush, to paint this picture. Allow me to explain.

I am not throwing the BS card here, but I really don’t know how many are bandwagon. I am absolutely sure some fans have decided they have something else, they will find more beneficial to do, with their discretionary dollars. Many, may well be those who originally bought into the hype, and wanted to be a part of something potentially, special.

I do know this, there are several in my group of friends, who are the most or among the most, ardent fans over the last 30 years, both financially and passionately. They are guys from football families, guys who played here, guys who had decent football careers after leaving UK, guys whose sweat and blood was left on that field, guys that have had tickets from the Curry years, (some even longer), which decided after last year, the new stadium, considering everything together, they were done with the continued direction the administration is leading this program.

They have lived it from the inside, and have lived it from the outside. They know. Their insight is fascinating, They see things much different than the regular “Joey Rah Rah” fan. They want football to be great here. They want it to be important here. They have concluded it will not happen until things change.

We lost some big time fans. It is my opinion only; but, they were the ones that threw down the ultimate BS card. not at you, at the program. That to me is not fair weather. That is more about taking a stand.

Me? I kept my tickets. I caught a lot of static over that from everyone, because after the Vandy game last season I swore I would not come back…….yet I did. It does not make me near the fan my friends are. In fact I may be indeed the fair weather fan by keeping mine another year.

• Billy Hill
      7:57 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

So they stayed through the Curry (20 YEARS AGO) and Joker years, but have seen enough after last year? Your “friends” seem pretty “smart”. I wonder if you and your buddies were Team Ditch Rich, too?

• BluKudzu
      10:44 am August 20, 2016 Permalink

I think they are smarter than both of us actually, Mr. Bill.
      Are you really a UK football fan?
      Do you ever have an opinion, other than a response to someone else’s post?
      Have you ever participated in football at any level, in any form or function, and if so, what, how and for how long?
      Do you / have you, ever go / gone to a UK football game?
      Do you have season tickets or any tickets to this year’s UK football season?
      Are you an annual financial donor to UK, specific to UK football?
      Do you think the team members, of last years footbal team received the best coaching and training UK could possibly offer?
      Do you watch football on telivision or any media outlet?
      Were you part of the Ditch Rich movement? What compelled you ask that? Was it just a baseless accusation to somehow vilify those to which you disagree, similar to name calling, because you have really have nothing to defend your opinion?
      I can honestly say, neither I, or any of my “smart” “friends,” had anything to do with a “Ditch Rich” movement. Empty seats speak dramatically much louder than a bumper sticker on the back of your Camry.
      Join me at a game sometime Mr. Bill, I will buy you an ice cream and I will explain what is going on while you watch the game. No need to worry, I will buy you a ticket.

6. abgunz
    11:38 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

I want season tickets; I’m just poor right now.

• Howdy Doody
      11:54 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

You can have the 10 seats I turned in…$10,000 including Donation, Parking . 50 years of aggravation FREE!
      It WILL get worse….trust me.

7. Bluebloodtoo
    11:48 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

Hype will get you an early sales surge, but substance is needed to sustain sales. Come on, this is a business, right? People don’t continue to buy crappy products.

8. Craig
    11:58 am August 19, 2016 Permalink

I think yesterday on radio a caller was spot on talking about how people lost their seats and their tailgating spots. I still go, have the tickets for this season, but instead of tailgating int he blue lot and being a short walk to where I had friends who tailgate, right in the middle of the crowd and excitement, we’re now out by the soccer/softball field feeling kind of isolated from it. With the seat shuffling, we don’t sit by the people we’ve come to know from years of games. It’s also more expensive than it used to be. Add all that up and if we have the same mediocre results, it’s no shock a lot of people stay home.

9. onsides
    12:23 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

There’s a disconnect between KSR and the football fanbase.

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      12:40 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

The disconnect lies between UK Athletics & the fanbase.

• CatFanDu
      12:49 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

Success on the field could change both those disconnects.

10. bigboyshag
    1:59 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

Well I needed to save money this year – So I didn’t renew my season tix UNTIL they did the pocket pass and I bought my back 4 then – saved a little but still got season tix. I would garner a small percentage of those are just like me – income not raising as much as expenses and culling entertainment is 1st place one goes.

A day/nite to a game can run me as much as $ 300 bucks or more because of travel / shopping / food / alcohol etc. Even more if I stay overnite!!!

• Rsn2GoBlu
      3:15 pm August 19, 2016 Permalink

What is the “pocket pass”? I gave my season tickets up a couple of years ago. Is there is a promo being offered to win back former season ticket holders? I am not interested in purchasing tickets at the overly inflated cost + donation offered by the UK ticket office