UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Afternoon Notes

photo

The rush for Harrison Twins pictures is nuts…and we will publish them

We are sitting in our media seats here at the US Open (you know you are prized media members when you arrive and they tell you that your seats are in the Media Dining Room) and things have gone well. Drew and I ran into Mike Tirico, who looked at me and said (with all sincerity) “good to see you, its been awhile.” By “awhile”, I am going to assume that Tirico means “forever” as I am not sure we have met. Still he was very friendly and I now consider him a friend. Me and Tirico, doing our thing.

A couple of notes:

— The UK vs WKU game is now only five days away and I am getting very excited. I love the comment today from Stoops that the team could “shock a lot of people.” I am not sure I agree but I have long ago learned not to dispute what Mark Stoops says. To paraphrase Bradley Dale Pevuto, if Mark Stoops tells you its Arbor Day, plant a tree. The confidence in part stems from a group of players that are as eager to start the season as any I can remember. This is a group that really believes they can shock the world and be competitive. Coming from the past couple of seasons, when I believe confidence and self-belief were at an all-time low, this can’t be anything but positive. I feel better and better each day we get closer to the game…now it just needs to get here.

— Stoops said today that they have picked a Quarterback and are ready to go, although they won’t tell the press. My guess is that is Whitlow, but I am glad they are leaving the possibility of Max Smith out there to force Western to prepare. This staff wants Whitlow to win the job…he gives them the most options and is the most game-ready as of now. What remains to be seen is how he handles the pressure and the new offense. He went through the fire of the SEC last year and by the end of the year, wasn’t doing badly. Now whats left is to adjust to a new system and lead the team. I think he can do it and if the decision is Whitlow, it will be a good one.

Phil Steele predicts Kentucky by six points on Saturday. As you know if you have been on this site for awhile, I go with Phil Steele. The time to make money in college football gambling is during the first three weeks. If Steele likes the Cats, my confidence only grows.

As you know, we are here doing our tennis blogging thing and I hope you will make sure and come and see our work. We started today with a story about my somewhat difficult interaction attempting to pick up our credentials today. It is a fairly funny story and highlights out first day of posts on
The Outer Courts
. Click the link below and come read our work…the tennis fans of the world will appreciate it.

THE OUTER COURTS

More later….

Article written by Matt Jones

14 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Afternoon Notes

1. Jordan
    6:35 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey Matt, not trying to be Debbie Downer but do you think there is any chance Cal leaves after this season if we get #9 and our 2014 recruiting class doesn’t end up being very good? He has said he doesn’t consider this his last coaching job and the Mudiay thing of course has me freaked out. Thanks and great recruiting rundown last night! I think that should become a weekly feature on KSR, football season or not.

2. blueaville
    6:46 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

why do college athletes always hang out in malls? it’s kind of weird.

glad these two are in town though!

3. Chaz
    6:54 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Have to relate to Matt & Drew’s tennis blog in some fashion. per the Outer Courts creds entry:

Matt wrote – I pleaded to his sanity by saying, “the entrance is 100 feet behind you, why make us walk that entire way when we could be there in 5 seconds.” He smiled with a smarmy grin and said, “it is policy.”

Sounds as if you encountered one of those NCAA enforcement officials who jumped ship. Maybe the very one that said Enes Kanter was banned for life and US Marine vets can’t play college football because they played in a rec league while in service for our country. The logic is consistent.

4. Sue
    7:06 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Matt, on what coaching-staff comment are you basing your line, “This staff wants Whitlow to win the job”? I’m just trying to figure out your brand of journalism.

5. landon
    7:13 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

UK 24 WKU 13

6. Duuuuuude
    7:13 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I am from West KY and was curious about who RJ Corman was. I read this story about him and can see why Calipari and so many others liked the man.

7. Duuuuuude
    7:21 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

#1, I can understand your concern. The fan base worried the entire time Pitino was here that he would leave. It nearly overshadowed his coaching stay here. I think Tubby was kind of a PC hire and had strong connections but probably was not the best available. Then they made a huge mistake with Gillespie. I doubt Cal even knows when he will leave, but when he does, I think they won’t have a hard time finding the best qualified coach to come. The Best! If the administration is smart, they will involve Cal in the process. In the mean time, enjoy these days to the fullest, because these are great times to be a Cat!

8. Lil c
    7:26 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Could someone please get these guys some UK gear. That ugly ass red and black is killin me!

9. Linda Taylor
    7:30 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

3 – I think Matt probably either didn’t recognize how things are done in NYC or refused to submit to it. The guy was probably looking for a little palm greasing.

10. Tennis????
    8:25 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Tennis now there is a real man sport lol!

11. Bruce Sheldon
    9:43 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

#3 Cal actually said if he coached much past 60 something was wrong or he may go a little longer if things were going really well. I think his contract ends somewhere in that time period. I don’t remember him saying this wouldn’t be his last coaching job.

12. Bruce Sheldon
    9:45 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

^ #1

13. Old Cat
    9:58 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Two questions about Uphill Steele’s Power Sweep. 1: why does he not pick score in the Louisville game’ and 2: why is there a dagger next to the UK pick?

14. Catlogic15
    10:28 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I can only aspire to the day that I kinda, sorta, didn’t know Mike Tirico.