UK could move into first place in the SEC East this weekend

We usually reserve this picture for sad times, but this guy’s look of utter disbelief also works for what I’m about to tell you: Kentucky could find itself in first place in the SEC East this weekend. Yes, we’re talking about Kentucky football. Yes, the same team that so many of us wrote off after the Southern Miss loss. The same team that now has sole possession of second place in the SEC East:

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-10-04-35-am

For Kentucky to move into first, they must beat Missouri and Georgia must beat Florida this weekend. That would make Kentucky 4-2 and Florida 3-2 in the league, putting the Cats in sole possession of first place in the SEC East (because the LSU game was postponed, the Gators are one SEC game behind).

So, you know, go Bulldogs.

13 Comments for UK could move into first place in the SEC East this weekend

1. az1006
    11:40 am October 25, 2016 Permalink

The “points for” and “points against” columns don’t make much sense.

• kentuckybobby
      11:49 am October 25, 2016 Permalink

Its pretty simple actually..add up the points the team scores…then add up their opponents. My 3 year old just did it

• az1006
      12:11 pm October 25, 2016 Permalink

I’m aware of how it works…But, a deeper analysis will show that Kentucky has the 2nd-worst point differential in the division (only behind South Carolina) and has allowed, by far, the most points. And yet here we are at 4-3 and sitting in 2nd place. A skewed statistic, to be sure, but still doesn’t normally play out like that.

But thanks, dick.

• JaminTheCoach
      12:43 pm October 25, 2016 Permalink

It’s really funny and interesting how context makes statistics look like baby poop sometimes. Take away the points from the Florida debacle (it’s my belief that Barker got his injury on the first play of the game with the big hit he took and played injured the rest of his time) and the fate from the Alabama game, which every single opponent they have faced has shared. Then where does UK stand in those same statistics. UK PF 174 and PA 146.

Now remove Stephen Johnson’s fumbles and UK looks like a pretty scary football team.

If’s and but’s, I know, but these blanket generalizations about UK football using only 1 portion of stats are a horrible way to define YOUR team. Seriously, it hasn’t been all sunshine and roses, no doubt, but when we are having some success in a sport that we have generally sucked in for decades, why not give credit where it’s due?

• az1006
      4:12 pm October 25, 2016 Permalink

Look, I agree with you…I even said the stat is skewed due to a few outliers, and therefore isn’t that reliable of an indicator. Point is, MOST of the time, point-differential plays out to where the best teams have the best PD. That obviously isn’t the case here, and like you said…The Florida and Bama games obviously skew the result.

I honestly could not care less if we win every game by one point. I’ll take wins any way they come, and really have grown to love this team (6 weeks ago I would have never thought that to be a possibility).

2. secrick
    11:40 am October 25, 2016 Permalink

Doesn’t Fla have to go to LSU now for that game. If so that is our favor to.

• kentuckybobby
      11:49 am October 25, 2016 Permalink

That wouldn’t matter in the SEC East..and as a whole..them losing to a decent LSU team wouldnt drop them below a UK team who got slaughtered by FLA.

• whack0001
      11:55 am October 25, 2016 Permalink

How would Florida losing to LSU, or any team for that matter, not drop them below UK? (assuming Kentucky keeps winning of course) We’re talking numbers here. Loses and wins. Not some eye test

• Mathlete
      11:57 am October 25, 2016 Permalink

Rankings are based on conference wins and losses, so it is favorable to us for Florida to play on the road. Florida needs to lose 3 conference games and we need to win out in-conference for us to finish in first (a tall order on both sides) because they hold the tiebreaker over us.

• secrick
      12:45 pm October 25, 2016 Permalink

KENTUCKYBOBBY, You have lost me.

• JaminTheCoach
      12:47 pm October 25, 2016 Permalink

Actually it would. The only thing that matters is the W-L record, and in the event of a tie, the head-to-head. At the end of the day, if UK’s conference record is better than UF, then we are above them, no matter what happened in the Swamp. If our records were tied, then the swamp debacle comes into play. If their record is better, none of this matters.

3. @GoCayts
    11:53 am October 25, 2016 Permalink

the first I noticed here was that Florida has only allowed 72 points in 6 games, wow

then I looked at us and Missouri … we’ve given up the most points and they’ve scored the most, so I had to check out their schedule …. they put up 61 against E Mich, 79 against Delaware St and 51 against Middle TN St, and average < 15 pts/game against their 4 better opponents … so I'm still gonna be a little optimistic about this game

one thing I'm not optimistic about, however, is SJ at QB … but the top fumblers in the ncaa are kind of interesting, check out this list, lot of familiar names:

McSorley, PSU 8 fumbles and also 3 INTs
    Johnson, UK 8 fumbles and also 2 INTs
    Dobbs, UT 7 fumbles and also 9 INTs
    Towles, BC 7 fumbles and also 4 INTs

just think it's funny there are 4 guys with at least 7 fumbles and Towles and Johnson are 2 of them and Dobbs is also on there which probably every UK fan would have traded for at the beginning of the season and he has a ton of INTs … no idea about the other guy

• secrick
      12:47 pm October 25, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, They are putting some points on the board. It’s going to be a tough task for us. Someone told me Middle Tenn st was a pretty good team. Lets hope Johnson can hang on to the ball and Snell and Boom can run all over their defense.