Twitter reacts to Mark Stoops’ comments on KSR

Stoops-radio

The reaction to Mark Stoops’ interview with Kentucky Sports Radio varies from fan to fan.

For some, Stoops’ message was encouraging and it got them back on board with his mission. Those are the fans who will reload on season tickets and be the first people outside Commonwealth Stadium for the spring game.

For others, Stoops was combative, and somewhat delusional, when facing questions about the problems with last season. Those are the fans he’s lost and won’t get back until expectations are met.

You can read some of the 140-character reactions from Big Blue Nation below, beginning with Jared Lorenzen.

And if you missed the interview, you can hear the 35-minute audio here.

Leave your own opinion in the comments section.

Me, I’m somewhere in between. I don’t love the way he handled questions about disorganization, but he was able to admit changes in attitude and in staff must be made, while assuring fans he will turn this thing around.

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for Twitter reacts to Mark Stoops’ comments on KSR

1. UKFanBG
    4:30 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Really tough position for Stoops – Most of the problems are people problems and he can’t say much until those people are gone or have their come to Jesus moment. No doubt in my mind that Stoops has the vision, can he execute?

2. chrisg18
    4:34 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Yes but he said nothing specific. It was all very general. Nothing he said gave me any hope that he recognizes the problems in the program or that they have a plan in place to fix them. Matt was really soft on him.

3. shelby
    4:35 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

yeah, stoops is terrible – I mean after all, he’s 3 whole years to win a national championship – we should be in the playoffs with all that talent he inherited from Joker – after all we play in the weakest conference in the nation right? It doesn’t take any time at all to take a bad high school team and turn it into a major college powerhouse does it?
    smh at pathetic so-called fans.

• ukgrad83
      4:45 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I would shake my head at you but suspect you haven’t been around long enough to see how bad Kentucky football has been for so long. Stoops talks the talk but he doesn’t walk the walk. Talent matters but coaching matters more. His teams do NOT show that they’ve been coached properly, either in technique or planning. Three years is more than enough time to see changes and barely getting by EKU in year 3 is not indicative of someone that can win consistently in the SEC. I appreciate your support of the team and the program, I really do, but for us old dogs that have been through several decades of piss poor football, I’m sick and tired of it. MS does NOT have what it takes to turn this program around.

If the team wins more than 5 games next year, I’ll gladly come back here and apologize. I just don’t see it happening.

• J-Dub421
      5:00 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Ukgrad83, if we’ve sucked for 60+ years, then why do you expect Stoops to have suddenly turned the program around in only 3 years? How can you hold Stoops responsible for our football program sucking since before he was even born? For those of us who are younger, the program has been terrible our entire lives too. If you’ve had to suffer through 50 years of bad football, while I’ve only had to suffer through 30 years of bad football, all it means is that you’re older than me.

• ukgrad83
      8:02 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub421, this time the AD finally wrote a check to hire a HC to make things better. CWS was revamped. Admin finally looks like they’re serious about creating a winning program. Given the investment, we should see more on the field. I didn’t expect an SEC championship in 3 years, or even 5, but by the third year there should be more to show than just barely getting by EKU. I’m just voicing my opinion but don’t think he’s got it. How I really really wish I was wrong. Time will tell. Sucks for us old timers and sucks for you youngsters.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:07 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

LOL. And then if THAT coach didn’t work out (a la Bill Curry, 10-1 at ‘Bama), you’ll just bitch about Mitch, his shitty hire, and absurd contract/buyout… Sound familiar?

• UK Big Board Update
      8:09 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

“Ditch Rich” was made into a bumper sticker, remember?

The moral of the story: some of our fans need to calm the f**k down….

4. kycats13
    4:39 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

As disappointed as I have been with the past two seasons, I do want Coach Stoops to succeed. After coming in from the ledge, I still believe he is the man for the job and if he does succeed he will stay with us for a very long time.

5. roundball fool
    5:02 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Kind of a blah interview. Suspected as much with no staff changes in the immediate offing.

Thanks to Coach Stoops for coming and on and talking to us.

I did like the bit about watching the basketball team and seeing effort. That’s exactly what rallies The BBN. Effort and execution by the players and THE COACHES.

6. kyjohn
    5:26 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Using the talent that Stoops inherited from Joker is the lamest excuse for his and his staffs lack of coaching skills on this planet.
    I doubt if many UK fans expected a national championship,but they did expect to see exciting football and the team busting their butts to win.

• bigblueforever
      10:12 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

How about getting players on and off the field. You’d think three years would be enough time to figure that out.

7. The Rest of the story
    5:38 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I really liked Stoops when he came here. Seemed like a winner of a coach with the plan to succeed. After the last 2 seasons against the weakest SEC schedule UK will EVER face and see the bonehead mistakes game after game from the whole coaching staff, I can’t be excited or even optimistic about UK ever doing well under his leadership.

8. tkat
    5:47 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Very simple, screen passes to C J Conrad to get you 3rd and short yardage all day, Boom and Jo Jo up the middle, and then after about 20xs of that, deep pass when defense is not expecting it. Just keep doing it, over and over.

Kentucky doesn’t have the horses to run all the offensive plays that Dawson wants to run. (admitted by Stoops) Have to compete where we can compete. We have an NFL Tight End, use him–a bunch. Must establish this bread and butter go to offense.

9. JaminTheCoach
    5:54 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I don’t understand what some of the fan base wanted him to say! He can’t talk specifics about coaching changes right now because of legal issues. It’s just as big of a no no as it would be for a coach to talk about specific recruits before receiving an LOI. And why would you want him to? Can you imagine if your wife or husband heard you were losing your job on a radio show before you had a chance to tell them first? Come on, we surely aren’t that crazy in the BBN. Did you expect him to throw himself completely under the bus? Would you have the balls to do that? No you wouldn’t, don’t even lie. Football isn’t like basketball. It doesn’t change with one recruiting class, or even 3. It can take 5 to 7 years to build a solid program, longer to build a consistent contender for titles. Sadly, it sounds like we don’t know how lucky we have it to have a coach here that wants to build a program and not a flash in the pan.

10. Dr. Leo Spaceman
    5:57 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

What the hell do people want Stoops to say? He answered all the questions more honestly than most coaches would (and they were tough questions). Do you want him to throw people under the bus? Do you want him to announce on a radio interview that he is going to fire specific people?? I get why people are mad about the performance this year but what is he going to say in a radio interview to change that?

11. Jota
    6:16 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

MS is the man, people chances make champion. Mark stoops has given us a chances to win 85% of are games. We just didn’t take them. Part on the coaches part on the players. I’m with Matt if Mark stoops can’t win here. BBN

12. happierboy
    6:20 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Coach Stoops is inexperienced & it really has shown in the last 2 years. The team has gotten worse as the year went on which is not a sign of good coaching. They have been disorganized & unprepared. They have also lost to lesser talented teams. The tight end was only used sparingly this year & almost not at all last year & we have one of the best tight ends in the SEC. This is misuse by the coaches. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see us being any better next year.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:39 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Noted. Thanks.

13. sportspot
    6:52 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Players are out of position, continue to miss tackles, drop balls, lose assignments, miss gaps, too out of shape to play the second half, poor clock management, etc… etc…etc…

Mitch, where in Hades did you find this guy and at 3.75 million per year — a real bargain.
    Thanks

• UK Big Board Update
      7:55 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Who do you have in mind….??

I’ll wait.

• ukgrad83
      8:07 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

It was a TERRIBLE decision by MB to extend the contract when he did especially for the length and money. MS was unproven as a head coach. Joker didn’t leave the cupboard as bare as people think. Plus, it’s been 3 years. MS first recruits are juniors. Should not be coming from behind to beat EKU at this point. WKU would have beaten us this year. That’s because of coaching.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:10 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Cool story.

You didn’t name anyone…

• inside info2
      8:43 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

ukgrad83, as i’m sure UK Big Board Update will tell you within 5 minutes of me posting this, I am not a fan of Stoops. I don’t think he will be here in 3 years (should be gone now). But unfortunately Mitch had no choice but to offer Stoops a big contract extension. At the time it looked like we were going to a bowl game after just a year and a half. If we hadn’t have had the 2nd half of the year meltdown then Stoops would have had several offers for more money and better schools. So his Barnhart’s hand was forced. My issue was with the huge buyout. There was no reason for that. Barnhart should be fired in 2 years the day after he is forced to fire Stoops.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:42 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

LOL, after years of BCS bowls and Heisman winners, inside info demands nothing but the best in the country for this UK football team after just 3 years…

• Howdy Doody
      11:31 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

What he said….
      I am STILL waiting for Matt to take his lips off Stoops a** long enough to ask tough REAL questions.
      He had no problem dogging Joker, which he was right to do.

14. DennyC
    7:56 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Soft questions…. Sounded scripted. He’s in over his head and he knows it but at $3.7 MILLION why step down? It’s BOWL or BUST NEXT YEAR. I don’t even see 5 wins next year. This is PITIFUL!

• UK Big Board Update
      8:13 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Who ya got?

15. lexwildcat859
    9:28 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Glad to see coach stoops getting the president Obama treatment. For all you adults that think you need a coach or president to talk to make u feel better please chill out and get a life. And if that doesn’t work I have the “wahhhh”mbulance on line 1.

16. DennyC
    9:54 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

You’ve paid an AD to make that decision and HIS decision was to give this CLOWN A RAISE without an SEC win under his belt. He’s only beat two teams with a winning record in his three years one one of those was ALABAMA STATE!!!! P-I-T-I-F-U-L!!!!

• UK Big Board Update
      10:33 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

TROLLIN’

• cats paw
      11:35 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

homering..

• UK Big Board Update
      12:45 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

Dipshit ^

17. bigblueforever
    10:07 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I have been very critical of this staff. But I respect Stoops had guts to do this and I think he answered questions as well as he could. I want nothing more than for this program to succeed. But I call a spade a spade. I was so stoked about this team. This year. And this team was poorly coached. Certainly not up to SEC standards. I was very bummed and don’t think this staff can pull this off without major changes.

• CatsfaninFL
      7:33 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

Up to SEC standards?! I’m 35 and we’ve had a total of 8 seasons better than .500 (4 of those under brooks). Of those 8 seasons, 5 of them we were better than one game over .500 (two 8-5 seasons under Brooks, two 7-5 seasons under Mumme and Morris, and a 9-3 season back in ’84). Given those stats the last 3.5 decades, I’m not real sure we’ve EVER been up to SEC standards so I’m not sure why we suddenly expect Stoops to be that good after 3 seasons. Brooks even took 4 seasons to get things rolling and Stoops has 3 more wins at this point than Brooks did.

18. MegatonRange
    11:50 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I’d love to see some of the “coaches” on here, KSR staff included, out on the field making decisions. It’s easy to know exactly what to do….just do the opposite of what didn’t work. We’ve got some looney fans, but exactly how long did you think it would take CMS to turn this program around, anyway…one year? Most of you all are out of your minds.

19. BluKudzu
    9:35 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

Either the recruiting hoopla surrounding the players Stoops and his crew brought in, are not as good as they are supposed to be, (meaning the coaches eye for talent is not that great, after all) or maybe the talent is there and the coaches are clueless, (strong possibility, given game management, product on and off the field) or perhaps a combination of both.
    Either way, if Stoops is going to turn things around, a massive redirection is in order. He was brought here for his brilliant defensive mind, and could not stop or scheme the spread offense, (lack of skilled players, or coaching?) The QB situation was mismanaged, special teams was a joke, and the offensive play calling and execution of said plays were putrid at best.
    The me first attitude, exhibited frequently throughout the season, provided possible evidence of lack of control.
    I actually feel sorry for the man. He has a heck of a lot of changes to make in the program, and I hope he will. The oversell leading to higher expectations, has gotten old for many. Frankly, his changes he has to make are crucial going forward. If he does not address them, it should be enough for anyone to know the direction we will be heading, 2016 and beyond.
    Hoping for the best.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:59 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

“Either the recruiting hoopla surrounding the players Stoops and his crew brought in, are not as good as they are supposed to be, (meaning the coaches eye for talent is not that great, after all)”

Good lord. You’re reaching dude. Give it a rest, eh?

20. Howdy Doody
    11:19 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

I am even MORE convinced I made the right move returning my 30 season tickets for next season.
    Stoops has his salary plus the sweetheart buy out clause.
    Just leave and do not further insult our intelligence by barfing out defensive quips to an already p’ed off fan base.
    Beat Hooker U.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:48 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

LOL. You expect us to believe you had season tickets? Not all of us are as stupid as you.