Twitter 101: Lynn Bowden could learn from Josh Harellson

Kentucky’s Lynn Bowden isn’t the first college athlete to make the mistake of airing his frustration on Twitter when it should’ve been kept in house. It happens all the time because we’re talking about young people who have grown up with social media.

In Bowden’s case, he seemed to have a problem with his lack of playing time in Kentucky’s game at Southern Miss, the first of his career. You can see those tweets here.

Mark Stoops shrugged Bowden’s tweets off by saying, “No issue. We’ll continue to manage our players. That’s what they pay me to do and we’ll be fine. Lynn’s a good kid, works hard. It’s not uncommon in general. I’ve been in a lot of places with some very, very, very talented young men and the competitive nature comes out in kids sometimes and we’ll be fine. That’s one thing about our football team now and where we’re at; we can manage things like that very easily.”

Now it’s time we see how Bowden responds after becoming an unexpected story, and he could learn from former Wildcat basketball star Josh Harrellson, who, you may remember, was in a similar situation after the Blue-White game in 2010.

Harrellson tweeted, “Just amazing to me I can’t get a good job or way to go,” after grabbing 26 rebounds in the intrasquad scrimmage. John Calipari considered kicking him off the team at the time, but kept him around with a Twitter suspension “until he’s responsible enough to handle success & failure.”

Realizing his huge mistake, Harrellson got hungrier to prove himself on the court and had a breakout season when Kentucky was desperate for a big man with Enes Kanter’s suspension. Harrellson earned All-SEC Tournament and All-NCAA Tournament East Region honors and went on to get selected in the NBA draft the following summer.

Hopefully, Bowden also learned his lesson and will turn a young mistake into fuel.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Twitter 101: Lynn Bowden could learn from Josh Harellson

1. 330Rob
    4:53 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

Nothing better to write about today?? Trying to make something out of nothing.

• blueballs80
      11:56 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

Don’t like reading the article? You always have the choice to skip or not comment. Just saying.

2. secrick
    4:58 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

Young kids make mistakes and by the way so do us older guys. Good luck to this young man the rest of the season. Hope he gets in and kicks some butt.

• BigBlueBass
      6:23 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

That’ll preach….

3. ClutchCargo
    5:03 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m glad social media didn’t exist when I was that age. I made an ass of myself enough times without it being blasted all over the internet. Nothing to see here, move along.

4. catsby90.1
    7:40 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m not taking up for his decision to put it on twitter because I believe it was the wrong way to handle it as well. However, I was displeased with his lack of playing time too. Especially when our offense struggled the way it did.

• ClutchCargo
      9:11 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

To be fair, I understand the coaching staff trying to get going with the meat and potatoes of the offense before trying new stuff with new players. His time will come soon.

• catsby90.1
      10:29 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

True, I’m still just kind of mad that it was as close as it was.

• catsby90.1
      10:33 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

True, I guess I’m just still kind of mad that the game was that close.

5. UKfanforlife
    9:47 pm September 5, 2017 Permalink

Gran had better wake the hell up and play the young man. Boom is gone. The team needs a spark. How smart was the staff to wait until week 3 to play Snell? Bowden is not a no name player.. If this were a pro team he would be their first round pick. Everybody knows you don’t keep your first round pick on the sidelines.

6. UKfansNKY
    11:55 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

You arm-chair QB’s need to chill. The COACHES know what their doing, hell he may not see the felid much till the SC game and I understand that. SC won’t know what hit them or what to do with him as an unknown!!!

The comment above about Boom being gone……………………well it’s my understanding that both he and Baget had locker-room issues. If so, who needs that!!!

GO CATS!!!