Tuesday Practice Notes: Patty Ice Takes the Mic

IMG_20140819_183455

Practice may have ended in up downs, but Patrick Towles still had a smile on his face when he met with a crowd of media members after practice today.  Much like Mark Stoops and Neal Brown, Patrick described winning the role as “relief,” but it came at a cost.

When the QB race was decided last year, he sat down with Brown who told him that he needed to improve in certain areas.  This year the conversation started the same with Brown telling Towles, “Last year at this time I brought you down here and told you that you needed to get better.  Unfortunately I’m going to have ask you the same thing.”

“All of the color went away in my face,” Towles said.  “I was glad that I was sitting down.”

Since the announcement Towles has gotten the monkey off his back.  He described the relief as though he’s a Senior on his High School football team again, calling all the shots while solely focusing on UT-Martin.

Brown always believed that Towles carried himself like a starter on the field, embracing the role as a vocal leader.  Winning the starting QB battle is just one of many battles he plans on winning this year, “He has a realistic expectation; he’s the starter, now he has to go out there and play like one.”

Notes

–  Just because he’s a big quarterback, doesn’t mean Patty Ice can’t use his legs.  Brown said that Towles clocked in at 19.8 MPH yesterday on the GPS system.  I’m not sure how you convert that into 40-yard dash speed, but you can say that he probably has better pick-me-up than my Honda Accord.

–  With the first real hot day of summer camp, players are definitely feeling the wear and tear from camp.  Many players, especially the young receivers, are going through less reps to save their bodies.  Many are still non-contact or dealing with minor injuries: Bud Dupree, Josh Forrest, Javess Blue, Boom Williams, the list goes on and on.  Luckily, Alex Mongomery is the only person Brown has serious concerns for next week.

–  With a starting QB in place, Brown is using the final two weeks to improve on obvious passing situations.  They’re much better in the pass game, but Brown wants them to execute “when the entire stadium knows it’s going to be a pass.”  They’ll begin prepping for UT-Martin towards the end of the week, but Neal Brown finished his gameplan for next week months ago.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

17 Comments for Tuesday Practice Notes: Patty Ice Takes the Mic

1. 56
    7:08 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

on average an NFL quarterback throws it around 50 mph, hes got a lot of throwing speed to gain in my mind

• 56
      7:09 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

oops read the sentence wrong my bad

2. Bluebloodtoo
    7:27 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

How to convert mph to 40yd time? You can’t. You don’t have any data on acceleration.

• catman4life
      8:44 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I disagree. It’s called stoichiometry, AKA dimensional analysis.

• Cal's Coffin
      9:13 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Bluebloodtoo, You are correct, it is impossible to know his 40 yard dash time without knowing the accelearation. Two runners that run a maximum speed of 19.8 MPH can have very different 40 yard dash times depending on the amount of time it takes each person to reach his maximum speed.

• yo
      9:19 am August 20, 2014 Permalink

Correct. You do not know the acceleration so you can’t get an accurate 40 yd dash time. However, to give you an idea of how fast he was going – 19.8 mph is roughly moving 40 yards in 4.13 seconds

3. Mac
    8:22 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Please spare the edgy nick-name efforts until AFTER the guy doesn’t stink the field up. I will sing any nickname that can come earned by on the field success. Or am I the only one who remembers the (to put it mildly) poorly informed and terribly desperate souls who started trying to pre-invest in hope by calling Whitlow “Whitthrow” (or some such) without any demonstrable evidence he would be a competent starter?

• bluemanchew
      10:37 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Patty ice has been his nickname for a couple years. I thought it was a play on a beer called natural ice or light which everyone called natty ice or light.

4. catman4life
    8:33 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

19.8 MPH=9.68 yards per second. This would equate to a 4.18 sec 40 yard dash time. I think that might be a little off. I know Towles is quick, but he’s not that fast. That aside, I’m excited about our season. Go Cats!!!

• catman4life
      8:42 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

However, 17.8 MPH=8.70 yards per second. This would equate to an approximate 4.6 sec 40 yard dash time. Might have been a typo in Coach Brown’s report.

• Cal's Coffin
      9:10 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

The problem with your equation is that you are using an average speed. When completing a 40 yard dash, you start standing still and it takes several strides to reach your maximum speed. Therefore, in a 40 yard dash, you average speed wont be your maximum speed.

• Cal's Coffin
      9:15 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

oops, meant to say you are using his maximum speed.

5. what you talking bout ulis
    9:22 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

FSU uses the same technology and had a running back named dalvin cook run 23 mph. Towles was moving good for a big guy!

6. catman4life
    10:36 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I agree with the statement about maximum speed and the fact that 40 times are taken with the runner at a dead stop to begin. I couldn’t find any sort of info on a sliding scale to factor in acceleration. Either way, Towles can move well for a guy his size, particularly a QB.

7. Gowcats
    10:49 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I hope the O-line protects him well enough that we don’t have to see how fast he can run too often. He earned the job, so protect your QB Cats!

8. Mrs. Blew Hare
    11:38 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Tell that smart handsome young Coach Brown to stop making fun of my car. It will get me from here to there on a gallon of gas.

9. RathanNoush
    12:06 am August 20, 2014 Permalink

I believe that’s MY Honda Accord.