Getty Images

Mark Krebs landed an interview with Patrick Towles yesterday and he was able to get the former UK quarterback to really open up on his decision to transfer and his thoughts on the coaching staff, namely Shannon Dawson.

Towles told KSTV, “I’m a huge fan of Coach Dawson. I really enjoyed my time that I spent with him. I think he’s going to be really successful as an offensive coordinator.” He later added, “I’m hard-pressed to find a better guy on that coaching staff than Coach Dawson.”

Towles also explained why he is going to Boston College. He said he likes the pro-style system and hopes it will help his chances at an NFL career. He mentioned he was recruited to Kentucky to play a more pro-style under the previous staff.

Check it out in this clip from KSTV:

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Towles: “I’m hard-pressed to find a better guy on that coaching staff than Coach Dawson”

1. TorpedoVegas
    10:36 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Well, Towles also seems to think he is better than what he showed during his time at UK. He just doesn’t know how to recognize mediocrity.

2. Catsby80
    10:39 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I just don’t understand why this is necessary if your Patrick. You have made your decision to leave, which is fine, but don’t bad mouth the rest of the coaching staff publicly because things didn’t go your way. This is a bad look for him.

3. Long Dong Silver
    10:47 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

He’s handling this very well! Class act

4. nybrasky
    10:54 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

It’s become pretty clear that the divide in the room was Dawson/Towles vs Stoops/Barker/everyone else.

5. Cat House
    10:54 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I’m sure Shannon Dawson is a super guy. What does that have to do with it?

• cats paw
      12:21 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Much like Stoops, I suppose?

6. Willis talkin bout....
    10:57 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Well.. maybe had Towles planted his feet and thrown the ball accurate rather than dancing around, and maybe had Dawson actually called plays that highlighted his talents (Running for his life) they might both still have a job at UK. Not saying that Stoops and the other coaches are much better, in fact they may be worse. But something had to change. Maybe Dawson won’t seem so arrogant in his next job. And maybe Towles can hide his weaknesses in another conference. One got fired, one chose to leave. Lets move on to the next dumpster fire!

7. kyle heavy
    10:58 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

If this is the case, then why is he the ONLY player transferring after this season’s end? I don’t see the mass exodus of players leaving after Dawson’s departure. I know we had a couple leave the program earlier in the year, but that can be expected. But if Dawson is so awesome why is no one else transferring after his firing? It’s also important to note that we’ve had no decommitments, yet. Dawson must have really been burning up the recruiting scene, too (sarcasm). I believe Towles is a good person, and I want to like the kid, but I just think he is a little dim…

8. inside info2
    11:01 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I stopped listening about 2/3 into the interview because he kept repeating himself, but did he ever take any responsibility for himself, or was it all lack of execution by “people”? I would say 1/3 of it was coaching, 1/3 was receivers and 1/3 was Towles.

9. UK1983
    11:06 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

He would do well to just keep his mouth shut and move on to Boston. I think we are getting a glimpse at the problem.

10. BigO
    11:08 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Patrick needs to move on…..and the UK media needs to leave him alone. Wish Towles nothing but best of luck. As for Dawson he may be a great guy but he and any other offensive coordinator would have been done in by the UK Offensive line…..if you can’t control the line of scrimmage you can’t effectively move the ball consistently and in the end this hurt the defense too (too exposed on the field with 3 and outs).

No matter who is the Offensive Coordinator next year they better have a plan to develop the O-line in ’16 or it will be a repeat at best to ’14 and ’15 with a more challenging schedule.

11. blueballs80
    11:21 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Coming from a guy who threw what 14 picks? That was not all on the Oline. Dawson’s offense couldn’t score in the 2nd half. You know why? Cuz every D coordinator adjusted and figured out his play book. Towles is backing up Dawson only because Dawson played him more, when it seems Stoops was prolly willing to bench his ass. Clearly the players knew this. Either way Patrick, just move on already. Believe me BC has a shitty Oline as well so good luck to ya.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Why is Mark Krebs wasting his time interviewing Towles about UK again? Of course you’re going to be able to get some quotes, he is a UK fan who wears his heart on his sleeve just like a lot of us. And I’m sure Dawson is a great guy, but he was not the right guy for this job. It was time for some people to move on, nothing to see here.

13. secrick
    11:44 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

When does Cinn. play?

• CrazyCayts
      11:55 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Thursday night

14. CrazyCayts
    11:52 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Lets be honest Pat… You liked Coach Dawson BECAUSE HE NEVER BLAMMED YOU! If anything went wrong on the offense it was hardly ever your fault according to Coach Dawson. NOTsaying that is WAS all your fault; hell Tom Brady couldn’t throw for 200 yards with that offensive line. But its easy to like someone when they are always patting your back (no pun intended).

15. UKBlue1
    12:52 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Pat horrible & Dawson was horrible so it’s fitting Pat taking up for Dawson. Someone should really tell Pat that yea it’s time to hang up his cleats because he isn’t any good. Seriously if George Whitfield couldn’t fix Pat, it’s over. As bad as Dawson is at play calling, how exactly has anyone hired him to be a Football coach?

16. FlyOnTheWall
    1:09 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

This was interesting in that Pat mentioned without being too inflammatory that the Locker Room was a bad environment. Heck I sat there and watched Boom Williams throw many fits, it actually started his freshman year. All it took for him to go off was a tremendous game by JOJO Kemp. How in the world does JoJo do what he did against S. Carolina in 2014 to only get literally benched the rest of the season. Boom was jealous and that was his first threat to Stoops to leave the team so Boom got his way. It happened again this year, when JoJo put it all out on the line diving high to get that extra yardage. Again Boom got jealous and JoJo was benched. GJ literally did the same thing and Baker was totally disgusting with his antics. I sat and watched him at the Vanderbilt game right in front of me with Marrow discussing how he wanted to be the man!!! Well he got his way and it looked to me like he gave up on purpose because no D1 athlete can be that bad or slow.

Sorry but Stoops dictated and deep down I really want Stoops to excel, but his first problem when he came here was to think KSR was a vehicle. He should have kept his distance, UK and KSR is a bit of a joke for anyone that is not born blue.

There is some good articles and this was one of those good articles, but when you give someone access to your sidelines and he spills the beans and becomes that opinionated I believe that person belongs up in the stands. I would not let Jared near my sideline, its like he is in a country club looking down on everyone else. He has an opportunity to enhance the program, but instead he works against it.

• Long Dong Silver
      1:33 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

I know what you mean with Lorenzen. Seems like he has too much access and input with the program.

17. G_Money
    1:19 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, Im really disappointed in Patrick. Until I started reading some of this crap, I felt really bad for him. But now I’m glad he left. This was a good article – looks like this will be remembered as a year torpedoed by personnel issues.

18. dean winchester
    1:36 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Look i like Pat. Didnt have much of a problem with Dawson. But they are gone. I couldn’t care less about digging deeper into Pats mancrush on Dawson. Bottom line, Stoops needs to hire his guys and run his program. If ANY player wants to whine, they can ride the pine or leave. Period.

19. Jaxson
    1:47 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Geesh. Pat will take BC to a bowl game next year. KY fanboys will be hysterically screaming about the disastrous coaching situation from 5 years ago. Maybe start investigating the AD from 5 years ago? He’s the worst in UK history after all in football winning percentage. But there’$ a recruiting room! (unavailable to $eason ticket holder$) And there’$ increa$ed luxury $eating! (unavailable to season ticket holders.) There’s a little too much of Eli in Mitch. The football team won’t win 4 games next year. Some will say that “Kentucky has always been terrible!” The football program didn’t have an overall losing record until 2002. KY used to have a winning record against Mississippi State and Vandy before Mitch. Now they don’t. Merry Christmas, Mitch. The fan base is about to turn on your administration. Don’t tell me about Olympic sports……..

• inside info2
      2:07 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

I disagree that Pat will be at a bowl game with BC. Or if they go to a bowl it will be despite him, not because of him.

But I agree with you about Barnhart. He is terrible. The only great coaching hire in football or basketball (the only hires that matter) he made while he has been here was Cal and that was because he didn’t have a choice. He can’t raise funds like he is supposed to because he is so socially awkward he can’t have conversations with boosters. I have seen people come up and try to talk to him and he looks at them like they are idiots, gives them one word answers and then completely dismisses them. But, I’m sure our women’s fencing team will be in the Top 10 this year.

20. 2thepoint
    2:40 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

From past experience it is wise to keep distance from boosters.
    I also point you to Matthew Mitchell as a good hire. That is basketball as well. I do agree Pat may be at a bowl game as a spectator.

21. DennyC
    2:44 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Southern Miss will beat UK first game at CWS. Write it down. This program is a dumpster fire. It’s only going to get worse before it gets better and it’s not going to change due to the unbelievable buyout Mitch put in Stoops contract. Like it or not, it is what it is . . pitiful.

22. ky1988
    3:45 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

This interview shows the problem with Kentucky this past season his name was pat. I bet next season cats win more games then B.C

23. Bluecreeker
    6:25 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Wow! Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat in my book. It takes a lot of BS for me to turn my back on a former BBN Member. Rex Chapman is the last one I remember. However, Towels has now shown his true colors to the entire BBN. He wasn’t even an average QB for the SEC, threw way too many picks which is MOST LIKELY WHY UK DIDN’T PLAY a more pro style offense.

To Patty Ice I say…….”Don’t let the door hit you where the lawd split you”. I hope they teach how not to pass into double and triple coverage’s at BC.

24. The Professor
    7:09 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Either the guy Patrick thinks is a great coach got fired in part due to the poor peformance of Patrick or the coaches bad play calling help lead to the poor performances by the QB. Neither did anything to help the other attain success thus they are both gone.

25. zachmiles2
    7:53 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

People are nuts. The problem, IMO is that Stoops is too committed to the “air raid” or “the spread” (Two completely different things) and hired Dawson thinking he would air it out so our program could look cool and attract more recruits and try to be the next Oregon. Yet we didn’t have the OL to do that. So we did what we could…run the ball with the stable of RBs that we had, throw it when we could. Sure the play calling was spotty but pounding the ball with those RBs was our best bet. Neither Towles nor Barker ever had adequate time to throw by ANY means. Didn’t help that it never once, to an outsider, did it feel like any of the WRs were giving their all to get wins.

26. scorpiocard
    8:24 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Towels also explained why he is going to Boston College. He said he likes the pro-style system and hopes it will help his chances at an NFL career. He mentioned he was recruited to Kentucky to play a more pro-style under the previous staff. He also said he really enjoys losing to Louisville every year and wants to keep that tradition going.

There. Fixed.

27. Scrappy Cat
    10:26 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Towles is leaving because UK’s team sets a QB up for failure and to look like crap. OL is horrible, no protection and too many holding penalties to get you behind the chains. Then the receivers were way too inconsistent dropped too many passes right in their hands some that were TD passes like against UF which would have made us the winner of that game by the way. The offensive play calling could have been more tailored for a team that has a bad OL, which is on Dawson but in his defense it would have been hard to have tailored much for the OL we had. I sure hope these issues improve otherwise next year will be more of the same. Actually probably worse because Barker doesn’t have experience playing under such terrible circumstances. We seen that in the UL game 6 for 22 completed 1 of his last 15 passes against a bad UL team. Wait till he faces SEC teams under these conditions, yall will be crying for Towles to come back. But hopefully the new OC can sure up some of these issues so Barker will have a chance to be successful. I certainly want him to succeed and for us to look like a better team, but much will have to change for that to become reality.

• ky1988
      11:40 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

I bet the o line and WR made him throw all them int’s right? towels is most overrated qb in history of the cats.

28. blueballs80
    12:03 am December 23, 2015 Permalink

He first needs to win the starting job at BC. Granted our Oline sucked but even a pro style offense requires accuracy and being able to make the intermediate throws, which he just never did consistently. Least he can be BC’s problem now throwing all those interceptions. Mark it down he will continue to get picked on in the ACC. Him and Dawson couldn’t get anything going which is why they are both gone. One couldn’t game plan to get his tight end involved and the other couldn’t throw to him even if he was wide open.