Towles bids farewell to UK

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

After a rocky season with the Wildcats, UK quarterback Patrick Towles just announced his plans to transfer from the university on his Instagram account.

The quarterback, who spent four years with the Wildcats and is a native of Fort Thomas, KY, wrote:

I would like to thank the University of Kentucky for giving me the opportunity to achieve my childhood dream of playing quarterback for the WildCats. The last four years have been ones that I will truly cherish for the rest of my life. Although I wish my time here in Lexington could have ended another way, I’m eternally grateful. I’ve decided to transfer to play my fifth year at another university. Thank you to Coach Stoops, Coach Dawson, Mitch Barnhart, my teammates, the Big Blue Nation and the entire Kentucky Athletics Department for allowing me to achieve my lifelong dream. I will truly bleed blue til the day I die.

While at UK, Towles joined Tim Couch, Dusty Bonner and Jared Lorenzen as the only players in school history to top the 3,000-yard mark in their first season as a starter. Due to red shirting in 2013 his sophomore year at UK, Towles will be eligible to play immediately for the university he transfers to. The quarterback was expected to redshirt in 2012 as a true freshman but was pressed into service when injuries struck the quarterback position.

Good bye Patty Ice, you have always represented the Wildcats with class and while this year has been a difficult one, I will miss seeing my favorite Harry Potter fan out on the field. Much success to you, and please, grow out those luscious golden locks again.

The feels, they are too much right now…

Article written by Ricki Barker

Writer of things. Watcher of sports. Wearer of blue. Sometimes all at once.

111 Comments for Towles bids farewell to UK

1. TonyMontana
    2:53 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

First domino.

2. HanOfTheBluegrass
    2:56 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Can’t blame him. He caught a lot of blame for the offense’s struggles this year and clearly it wasn’t all his fault. Receivers dropped the same passes for Barker, too.

Best of luck to you Patrick.

3:01 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Well, we have a few pretty (loud, obnoxious) ridiculous fans….

It’ll be “start Gunnar Hoak!!” or “start Mac Jones!!” next year….

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

• cats paw
      3:11 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

and a bus load of ignorant azz homer fans that beg for more of the same every year (and deserve the outcome). wash..rinse…repeat.

3:13 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

LMAO. Whatever you say, troll.

Can you not celebrate your Tards victory without sweating the nuts of all things UK? 😉

• cats paw
      3:17 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

knew u couldnt speak without saying Cards or troll! lmao

3:20 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

cats paw:

Can I get a “GO CATS” or “Calipari owns Pitino” from you, since you’re a big UK fan and all?? 😉

3:30 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

• pithuahua
      3:34 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Gunnar Hoak will probably never win a starting position at UK. He is way too slow. Mac10 Jones will probably battle for time in 2017. Next year it will be Barker and the kid from Rossville Ga.

3. KTower
    2:57 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I hate to hear this…….Towles is a great player and a winner.

Hopefully for him he will land somewhere where he can be a difference maker.

• blueballs80
      3:21 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Great player and winner – both very debatable. Good person -> yes

• Leuther
      6:06 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Maxwell Smith has been a big winner at San Diego State. He’s led them to a bowl game…

6:12 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

W 3 – 38
      Final
      Sat, Nov 21 @ UNLV W 52 – 14 Final
      Yesterday vs Nevada W 14 – 31 Final

4. eyebleedblue
    3:02 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

A shame. He deserved better from coaching and the fans. 2 dropped passes from him having 6 wins this season and instead we got 18 yards in 23 minutes of the 2nd half yesterday. Patrick is a class act, whether watching the final 4 with a Christian club or setting an example for all students off the field. Instead now we are stuck with bar fights and BB guns, along with a coaching staff that couldn’t lead it’s way out of a wet paper bag. Best of Luck to you Patrick.

• Red headed Stepchild
      7:18 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

CLASS ACT? He threw that interception right to UofLOL. Then had no reaction to what he had just done. I swear it was intentionally thrown. Another fan in the stands pointed it out to me but I didn’t pay any attention at the time. Saw replay, now the transfer news, it was INTENTIONALLY THROWN.

Screw the punk. He has been an entitled little B!tch the last two years. The only reasons this staff gave him so much rope was because of his connections. Transfering to another school won’t get him to the NFL. Mark my words, he scared and will never last more than 2 yrs. On an NFL roster until he grows a pair.

• plumloopy
      11:35 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

You’re high, Red.

5. danny mac boy
    3:04 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

His last pass was an interception. Enough said on that subject. I was really hoping to see the headline “Stoops bids farewell to UK”!

• cats paw
      3:07 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

^^^^^this^^^^

3:10 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

cats paw August 7, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      The interesting thing is that Drew will never start a game for the Cats. With Towles the starter for two more years I could easily see a scenario whereby Barker never gets his chance.

3:11 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

cats paw August 18, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      I have a strong, instinctive urge that Barker will transfer from UK before the 2016 season . . . either voluntarily or out of necessity. Good riddance.

3:14 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

cats paw August 8, 2015 at 4:04 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      If Barker transferred to U of L, he’d be 5th string, not 2nd.

3:15 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

cats paw November 16, 2015 at 11:28 am | Permalink
      Like It (1)
      Good Luck. Don’t be shocked if Charlotte beats UK.

• cats paw
      3:16 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

thats pretty good…considering that wasnt the real cats paw that made those comments!! i dont talk about the players! just the coaches and homer fans! so your pathetic azz has been recording/storing fake comments for yrs to try and use against me someday? lmao. i own you boy!!

• Chuck Norris
      3:17 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Yes, because so many high-profile coaches are clamoring for the UK football job. He’s been here three freakin years, it’s not like he can go pick up four highly rated recruits and win an SEC championship.

3:18 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

LMAO!!! “Those comments weren’t from me!!!”

That’s awesome.

• cats paw
      3:22 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

chuck— so beating Vandy, Louisville or Eastern with 3 superior recruiting classes is expecting too much also?

• cats paw
      3:24 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

you should know Big Board. because you were the one that was making post under my name!! i cant blame you. if you cant beat em’- join em’

• danny mac boy
      3:27 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Hey they only tied Eastern.

3:28 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

“If you get called out, just lie and say it wasn’t you” – cats paw

3:29 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Cats paw August 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
      Where do you see this improvement? I think they have had two practices thus far and played zero games! Could it just be in the homers heads? I predict SC by at least 23 points. We shall see who is right!

cats paw November 17, 2015 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      but ill help you all out here for future knowledge. if Duke plays us again, pick Duke! they will not miss that many 3’s again. Hate all u wish but i can fill this thread full of my predictions that are generally 100% on! and thats why i get under your skin so much!!

• Kernel Sanders
      3:34 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Why don’t you two go get a room somewhere? No one cares about your petty nerd fight.

• The Rest of the story
      8:17 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

The biggest love affair I ever seen is between Big Board Update and cats paw. These two just cannot keep their hands off each other. To me they both are pathetic in their own ways.

9:12 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Did you like your own comment? You did. Loser.

Like a previous poster said, you should stop commenting on football; its obvious you don’t know defenses from a hole in the ground.

6. Hermes
    3:05 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I, too, wish Towles the best of luck. I hope he flourishes at a school that has an offensive line and can protect him. I hope he has a great season and moves on the NFL. Next year could be very ugly for UK.

7. blueballs80
    3:10 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Well between receivers dropping passes and Patrick also not being accurate on the short throws and a porous OL, I don’t see why he wouldn’t leave. Having to compete again all over instead of being the man (although he wasn’t that great at QB -said all the right things but thats about it). Good luck to you Patrick. Perhaps a conference not in the SEC will serve you well.

8. bigblueforever
    3:12 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully, he will end up at a D2 school. Where he belongs. Niw,
    Now, if only Barnhart, Stoops, Dawson and Elliot will man up and do same. They should be D2 as well. Then maybe UK football could move forward. Otherwise, more of same next year.
    The only negative of getting rid of Stoops is we have to watch that idiot Barnhart totally f*ck up another hire. Go Big Blow!!!

3:20 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

troll so hard

• danny mac boy
      3:23 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Amen. Give me John Ray and Bernie Scruggs any day to what UK has had the last 5-6 years. The last several teams UK has fielded would go 1-10 at the best against the schedule UK had to play in the late 60’s and early 70’s. I’m so sick of the (w)ussy schedule these cowards play anymore. It makes me sick.

• Jaxson
      3:25 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Max Smith has led San Diego State to a 9-3 record and is playing for a conference title this week after transferring from UK, Of course he had to sit a year, but still. I hope Towles can have the same success wherever he goes (If D-1), but I’d guess a lot of BBN will at least follow the box score of whatever team he goes to since he’s an in-state guy.

• dean winchester
      3:29 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Either your a complete troll or a classless d-bag. The kid had more class in his pinky than you obviously have in your whole body. You can’t even let him leave in peace. Its like you feel you are owed something by UK (or…again…you are a troll). I get they had a bad season….I get that things arent looking great next year….but dude if you are that unhappy about things…seriously…become a tardinal fan. They got fair weather fans everywhere.

• The Rest of the story
      8:26 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

The shame of Stoops and Brown when he was the OC here is that they ran Max Smith off to play the pathetic QBs they had coming in. Max was the most accurate passer UK had in 10 yrs and even with a bad shoulder would have beat Miss. St his last year here if Brown had left him in instead of playing that idiot Whitlow. So UK for the coaches here to just keep sucking air and throwing away players and opportunities.

9:11 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

^^ LMAO!!!!!

9. Hermes
    3:19 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Barker doesn’t look like a D1 QB prospect to me. I hope I am wrong. UK had better look for a JUCO QB and pray for a miracle.

• blueballs80
      3:25 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

He is 2 games in and you have already made that assessment? Give him benefit of the doubt till 1 season is played. There is such a thing as coaching too that’s involved in player development.

• Hermes
      3:32 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Blue Balls You make a fair point. Barker has not played much yet and he may develop. But…he doesn’t seem to have the same level of athletic ability as Towles. UK does not have a very good recent track record for player development on the offensive side. So, while I will wish Barker the best, I am not optimistic. Like I said, I hope I am wrong.

• dean winchester
      3:46 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

He didn’t throw it away when nothing was there a few times, his reads were too focused on what he saw pre-snap, and when he decides to run many times he stops looking upfield. Honestly those are all inexperience issues that more reps will fix. He is slower than I thought he was, but otherwise he has a good arm and footwork and a quick release. Hopefully with a better o-line he has a good year next yr.

10. Long Dong Silver
    3:25 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Good luck to Mr. Towles. I hope he has a very happy and successful life. I wish things had worked out differently. I sincerely mean that. I wish every pass had been for a touchdown completion and we were unbeaten. That didn’t happen, and I think this is for the best.

11. shelby
    3:25 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say It again: Put Pat Towles behind Alabama’s offensive line and he’d be a Heisman candidate – at UK, where our OL wears panties and a bra and you get what you saw all year – a QB with no time to throw or make reads.
    The offensive troubles on this team start with the OL – they stink as a unit; the OL needs to know eachother’s thoughts and play as a unit. I don’t think our guys know their own thoughts. John Schlarman MUST go: bring back Mike Somers. Pat Towles got SCREWED by the fans and his own coaches this year. If he was the best player in practice he should have started ALL year. We’ve now seen that Barker does no better. The QB position is NOT the problem.

• buzzard
      3:42 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Well said Mr. Shelby. I couldn’t agree more. Towles was screwed by the fans and coaches. He deserved our support. I’d love to see him come back and beat UK and have a great career in the NFL.
      I wish Mr. Towles good luck.

• blueballs80
      4:05 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

The fans didnt make him throw 14 interceptions. That was all him. Holding on to the ball too long? That was all him. I do admit the OL was shit but lets not make it seem like he was also not to blame. Plenty to go around,

• dean winchester
      4:10 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

The o-line killed the offense most of the year, along with dropped passes. There is no reason they should have been as bad as they were at times this year. Its not a lack of talent or ability, you had seniors, pre season all-sec, a great center, and some incoming talent in Big George. JS just didnt get the job done

• blueballs80
      4:21 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Right on Dean. This O line was hyped as having experience an under perform they did. The OL coach has to go. Big George is just a freshman so I will cut him slack but the others have no excuse. If Stoops retains John Scharlman expect more of the same.

• plumloopy
      11:38 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Did you guys see that picture of Matt Elam? He’s big!

12. keiths
    3:28 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Patrick fell victim to this incompetent football staff. No player development whatsoever from this shit sandwich of a staff/ He is the first, watch the dominoes fall…..

3:32 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

You must have just come up with “shit sandwich”, huh? You’ve already posted it several times in the last few posts. Brilliant!! Good for you! Can you keep it inside the lines when you color, too??

13. tkat
    3:31 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky needs a quarterback like everyone else seems to have; fast, rocket arm and can scramble for 200+ yards each game. Kentucky can’t get the O-line required in the SEC for a Barker or Towles type QB to be successful.

Stoops, go find a running, scrambling, QB and everything else will be okay.

• Hermes
      3:37 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, and while they’re at it, they may as well pick up a couple of Jadavian Clowneys, a few Leonard Fournettes, and couple of Julio Joneses. My point is everyone would like to have a fast running quarterback with a rocket arm. KY is not in the running to get one unless it lucks out.

14. blueballs80
    3:33 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

This team jumps up and down after beating Charlotte. For F**ks sake, that is nothing to be excited about . We got beat by Vandy which we should have won. Coaching ineptitude on full blown display this season and one more next season.

With Melvin Lewis gone, Cory Johnson gone, who will Anchor the D line? Matt Elam is far from ready. Barring Reggie Meant, Stoops will have no proven players in the trenches. The rest are too inexperienced with little playing time here and there (Adrian Middleton, Tymere Dubose) or red shirted. Stoops is back in the same position he will be next year where teams will run up and down on us with their QBS.

With the way the current coaching staff has lead the team, it hard to fathom If Stoops gets more than 5 wins. If he doesn’t then he will be fired. We are just delaying the inevitable. Stoops is cashing in another 3.5 mil next year but the apologists love this.

3:35 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

How much should we be paying coaches at UK?

• Hermes
      3:38 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

We should be paying as much as it would take to get the best coach available, so long as he is not a scum bag like Bobby Petrino.

• blueballs80
      3:40 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

@ UK BBU – > My point is our return on investment stinks. If they pay him 3.25 mil, the results are far from the paycheck received.

3:43 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. And we can show them by paying current coaches pretty well now.

In the grand scheme of things involving college football, 3.5 million is not that damn much money. We just spent 130 million to shine up our stadium.

3:45 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

How much would you pay Les Miles (theoretically) if he was hired?

• blueballs80
      3:50 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Have to pay Les least 5 mil IMO.

4:27 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Thats a lot of money, with ZERO proof he could be successful HERE at UK….

• blueballs80
      5:00 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

We paid Stoops with no proven head coaching experience 3.25 mil so the premise is on potential and previous track record. Clearly Les Miles has a better track record.

6:10 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Stoops only makes more than the Vandy coach…….

• Jester
      11:36 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

“Stoops only makes more than the Vandy coach…….”

And yet he can’t beat him. Vandy seems to be getting more bang for their buck. Our one guaranteed SEC win every season is no longer a guarantee. You don’t give a raise to an employee who doesn’t provide a reason for said raise.

15. FunkyMonkey
    3:42 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

If I was C.J. Conrad I would definitely transfer. Dawson has no clue how to utilize a tight end in an offense. Dawson will just arrogantly continue to yap about how Conrad is “just about” ready to be used. Dawson is Kentucky’s version of Louisville’s Ron Cooper. Arrogant fancy talker but incompetent. Conrad is a stud and would be a star elsewhere with future NFL potential but instead will regress and be wasted here.

16. GroundControlToNumber9
    3:43 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

On Nov 16 Patrick Towles tweeted this…

@patty_ice14
    Can’t wait to see @D_Barker7 ball out on Saturday! I’m behind you 100%! #ALLIN

Unfortunately this kid’s word is as thin as his resolve. One thing I’ve learned in life is to let people show you who they are. Drew Barker was behind Patrick the entire season (and didn’t say it… he did it).

Patrick on the other hand says he is “behind him 100%” for all of 12 days. Not a great start to the foundation of adulthood.

Patrick just quit in a rage of emotion. This is not the mind of a pro quarterback. Either develop the ability to stay calm and make intelligent decisions or suffer the consequences of an unstable mind.

• blueballs80
      3:49 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

The writing was on the wall. Patrick knew the future of this offense will go with Drew so he gracefully stepped aside. Nothing wrong with that. It just didn’t work out at UK.

• dean winchester
      3:52 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Unless you are on the team, a psychologist, and a mind reader, your post is the ramblings of a bitter uninformed bs artist. Towles supported Barker and likewise….nothing to see here. Besides, you got your wish..Towles is leaving. You would think you would be happy.

• buzzard
      3:56 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Just because Towles has decided to make a change does not mean that he did not support Barker or UK. Towles has NFL talent…many NFL scouts have said so. This may be the best thing for his career.
      It’s obvious there is no one at UK qualified to coach QB’s.

• blueballs80
      4:02 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

@ Buzzard – You’re telling me if you were an NFL GM you would consider Patrick now as a pro prospect ? He has a lot of work left to do to. Not even close. Interception prone, holds on to the ball too long and cant move through all his read quick enough even when he has had time.

• UKinIN
      4:14 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

During one of UK’s late season games, I can’t remember which, the color analyst talked about Towles and said “He may have an NFL future, but his skill set may not be right for this offense.” That may be true but if I’m a NFL GM I don’t take a chance on Towles.

• buzzard
      5:12 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

blueballs80 Towels has the size, arm and athleticism to be an NFL QB…according to NFL scouts. All of those faults you think Towles has are able to fixed. Not saying he could be a starting NFL QB fight now, but with work and the right coach he has a chance, but not if he stays at UK.

• katmandue2you
      6:24 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I’ll be blunt…
      THAT’S THE STUPIDEST SHIT I’VE HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!

17. pithuahua
    3:45 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

We had one of the best QB coaches in the country with Randy Sanders. In the past few years with Brown and now Dawson we have had zero quarterback improvement. If they don’t get rid of Dawson, getting a QB coach should be high on the Christmas wish list.

• blueballs80
      3:57 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Randy was a pro style QB coach. Not sure how that would have fit in with Stoops wanting to go air raid or whatever he calls it (some kinda raid)

• fatbrat
      4:42 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I respectfully disagree that Sanders is only a pro style QB coach. AT Tennessee, Kentucky and now at Florida State he has successfully coached a wide variety of styles and schemes. His current offense at FSU would be considered a spread attack. Sanders is flat out a great qb coach period.

18. bigpops
    4:06 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

UK runs nothing that even resembles an Air Raid. What we run is that when you need to gain 8 yards you throw it 4 yards and then punt. I would be ashamed to still have those sirens in the stadium. I sat in the bleachers at Mizzou when Towles was a freshman and told my buddy after watching two series that he wasn’t the answer. In his defense though he was surrounded by an absolutely horrible coaching staff. At least we have Austin Peay and New Mexico State to beat up on next year. Like it or not, there are better coaching staffs in KY High School football than the one leading the Cats. Sad but true.

• The Rest of the story
      8:40 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I read this and somehow I cannot disagree one bit. Stoops = Joker 2.0

19. scorpiocard
    4:10 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I guess ending two seasons in a row in desperation situations and getting picked by U of L on uk’s last play to crush any hope of a bowl game was just too much for the kid. Well…with any luck he will end up somewhere with a decent football program.

Good luck to him.

4:29 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

#hookers

What a way for Pitino to end his career at Louisville.

Ha ha!! 😉

20. UKinIN
    4:11 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Everyone keeps writing about UK’s Air Raid offense. Some say Stoops is trying to run it, some say he isn’t. Here’s the easy test for identifying an Air Raid offense: the receivers catch passes. UK fails that test every game.

• Long Dong Silver
      4:31 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Can’t argue with that.

21. Le Docteur
    4:49 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Patrick Towles is one of the fortunate people who has options in life and, of course, he has the right to choose which one he wants to pursue. My objection to this is not that he has chosen to go somewhere else but that he is so plainly self-absorbed. He wants to be seen as this selfless figure and never hesitates to tell us he’s “ALL IN.” What does a great, selfless person do when he loses the starting position? He goes on social media and tells us he’s “#ALL IN” and how he is 100% behind his replacement. Then he basks in the love he gets from BBN saying how wonderful and selfless he is. Then, at what he thinks is the first opportunity, he bolts on the team he’s “#ALL IN” with. Again, you want to bolt? Fine. Just stop giving me that bullsh*t “I’m such a selfless saint of a person” rubbish.

Wanna know who’s a REAL leader? A REAL hero? J.D. Harmon. Harmon lost his starting job to a true freshman. What did he do? Did he Tweet/Snapchat/Facebook “I’m ALL IN. I can’t wait to watch my replacement in the game?” No. J.D. Harmon took the demotion like a man, worked his butt off and got BACK in the game. Is J.D. Harmon leaving for Duke or some other place? How about some love for J.D. Harmon and all the other guys on the team who don’t bail on their brothers when things don’t go exactly the way they wanted for themselves personally? Again, Towles wants to go someplace else? GO. Just save the “saint” rubbish because that’s exactly what it is.

• blueballs80
      5:03 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I get your point but isn’t it fair to say the writing was on the wall. Perhaps Towles knew he wasn’t that good so he made way for Barker thereby making the QB competition less cumbersome for the coaching staff.

• Le Docteur
      5:59 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Blueballs, it is entirely possible that Towles decided to transfer away so as to make things less difficult in the future for the coaching staff. I seriously doubt it but it is possible. But what happens if Barker gets injured in the first game next year? Would Kentucky be better off with Towles as the backup? Obviously yes. So Towles isn’t “ALL IN” with UK. He’s “ALL IN” for himself. Good for him. It’s his life. He gets to choose. All I’m saying is, he’s choosing himself over what’s best for UK. He’s not being a team player because sometimes “team players” have to be the ones on the bench, getting themselves ready in case their needed in the game. So stop with the hypocritical “I love my UK brothers; I’m ALL IN” crap. Maybe Patrick Towles is the saint he and his fans make him out to be. How do I know? But my common sense tells me that real saints don’t have a twitter account and don’t send out pictures of themselves on twitter when they get a freakin’ haircut. Self-absorbed people do.

22. 62Bluedog
    5:04 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Patrick is a born and breed true blue UK fan. Like many young men his dream was to play for the Big Blue. He worked his ass off to help make this team competitive. While he has made mistakes on the field, he did the best he could with defensive line and linebackers trying to knock his head off. He never caused any problems off the field. He is a model student athlete. With so many kids that have lost their way in life, I would be proud to have him as a son. Mr. & Mrs. Towles thank for raising your son the right way. I’m sad to see Patrick go out like this. He deserves to have been treated better than what this fan base has shown him. Good luck to you Patrick wherever you land. You are a bigger & better man than most of the clowns on this site. Keep your head up son because the bottom line is this is just a game and you will win in the game of life.

23. JunkTwoMuch
    5:45 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Good luck Patrick.

It will be interesting to see how he does outside of the UK system.

And its sad how UK “fans” turn on those that leave. None of us are in a position to judge these decisions. These kids are so very young and under so much scrutiny.

24. blitzedanddazed
    5:46 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

The problem with Towles was that he simply did not have the intelligence to be a College QB. He had to be spoon fed the offense by the Coaches. He would have never been named the starter this year if it was not because of outside “political” influences on the program.

25. sportspot
    6:06 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

UK has no chance with Barker as QB and Barker has no chance to be developed with Stoops as coach. In three years, we have watched UK football go from no talent and no coach to talent and no coach and talent will once again be shunning UK making the circle complete – no talent and no coach.

26. hakanea
    6:16 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Unfortunately , Patrick transferring may be the first of many. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t blame any of the players if they want to transfer , particularly if the coaching staff remains in tact. Good luck Patrick!

27. gomer11
    6:25 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Hire Jim Tressel

28. whatwasthat
    6:35 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Outside political influences, lol, idiot. Best wishes Patrick, hope you do well. Ky football fans will never change, the second stringer will always be better, they think every outcome on the field on either side of the ball must be directly connected to starting quarterback. I’ve seen a lot bring up his interceptions, how many of those were caused by the kid trying to make a play in a desperate situation, how many were deflections by d-line or secondary making a great play, how many were caused going through the hands of of his own receivers. Yes some were totally on Pat, but not all, my point is if he had better players around him especially o-line and better team in general he would never had to throw some of the passes he did. Barker will be in same spot unless o-line improves greatly, it was BARKER that threw the pick six against vandy that cost us that game or contributed greatly to it. I agree with many on here if coaching changes aren’t made, ( people Stoops is owed way to much money for UK to fire him today, but it will happen if fans don’t show up or wins don’t come), things could get real ugly fast. But all the assistant coaches have to be looked at and if not, the real fans, the big money boosters will start to come up with ways to raise the money for a buyout. I’m pissed to see them go out like they did yesterday, how many days until spring practice, lol. Go Cats. May the Christ in Christmas bring all of us a little peace and tranquility this post football season. Good luck Patrick Towles.

• Le Docteur
      9:00 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

What would Jesus do? Apparently, he would call people he disagrees with “idiot.”

29. katmandue2you
    6:39 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

What we learned with the past two games if nothing else is that the quarterback position wasn’t the problem. I saw some good things out of Barker. I didn’t see definitive proof he was better than Towles or that he was the solution to what ails this team. I listened to our fan base gripe and moan and call for Barker all year. At the end of the day he didn’t fix the team or the drops or the pass protection or the lack of mental toughness or whatever else it is that ails this team. I think our coaching staff relented to the rumblings when they knew Towles wasn’t the problem. And now we get this. I don’t blame the young man for making this choice. I blame the fans many of which don’t know S**T from apple butter about football. Turning the Kentucky football program around is hard work…it’s tough. It’s been proven to be damn near impossible. I’m not happy with some things but I’m also not ready to just dis-own this staff. I say we shut up and let them go about their work. It’s not like we haven’t been here before.

30. timer2
    6:46 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I wish Patrick the best. It is a shame that he didn’t have the support at UK that he deserved.

To me, UK football died this weekend and the smoking gun is in Mitch Barnhart’s hand.

31. Souf beach Lou
    6:51 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Oh great so now we are left with a starting qb that spent last offseason: 1. Getting into a bar fight. 2. Getting knocked out in the lobby of a dorm at another school while the rest of his buddies sat around and watched (just like they do on gameday saturdays) 3. Caused the police to shut down campus because he was playing with toy guns. #leadership #were just waiting for wins bro

32. J-Dub421
    6:52 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I am sad to see Patrick go, but can’t say that I blame him, especially after all the abuse he took from our fan base this season. Plus,why waste your remaining year of eligibility if you know you won’t play.

33. klassact32
    7:27 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see how you totally bleed blue and transfer……. just saying. That’s an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

34. 2thepoint
    7:33 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Well, J-Dub, Phillips could have transferred and didn’t! Barker could have transferred and didn’t knowing the deck was stacked against him. Others could have as well, but stayed on to be a team player, but Patrick cuts and runs hoping to play qb somewhere! Where can he go in D-1 and play, nowhere! There isn’t an NFL team anywhere that would give him a shot because of his lack of talent. There is a reason the Cat’s quit trying to throw long passes with him at qb when they had time, because he under threw them every time. The receiver never had an opportunity to catch them and even if they did they wouldn’t have been able to make any additional yardage. Poor decision making after two years and rarely throwing a pass on target so the receiver could make yardage of short passes was the norm rather than the exception.

He knew when he threw that interception it was it, because there was no viable way to get him back in as quarterback next year. What he could have done is approach the staff about changing to a TE instead and stay with the team if the team was so important to him. As the previous poster so eloquently stated he seemed to be “all-in” on himself!

For anyone to say the staff didn’t give him opportunity is just wrong. They gave him almost two full years. There isn’t another QB who wouldn’t have been pulled “for the teams benefit” that had his lack of success. Barker never got to even snap the ball one time until late in the year even after Patrick’s showing was far worse than Barker had done in Saturday’s game, but they pulled Barker just like they did in the Vandy game to re-insert Patrick.

All his supporters are still in denial blaming everyone except him for his troubles. Sure there are problems with the team from coaches and players alike, but the dedicated will stay he didn’t!

• whatwasthat
      8:11 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

It’s people like you who should stay off message boards and social media. Let this sink in Towles joined Couch, Lorenzen and Bonner in throwing for 3,000 yards in their first season, not bad company. Towles was done in by a lot of things, 3 different OC’s, poor offensive line play every year since Brooks left ( see injuries to Hartline, Smith, Whitlow, Newton, Phillips, Towles, Barker, some of which were severe.), poor play calling, poor receiver play, on and on. But you are one of the ignorant that thinks every pass by a college quarterback is supposed to be the perfect pass, not going to happen, didn’t happen for Couch or Manning in college. When a QB is making the long throws ( that’s what UK fans want, right), they are low percentage completion throws, in my own humble opinion with the o-line UK had most of pass plays should have short to intermediate, a five yard completion is much better than a incompletion, interception or sack. That being said Towles threw a lot of perfect long balls some of which were caught and some that were dropped, but it is ignorant fans like you, who in your own twisted mind that think you could have done better. You are the fan that wanted to bench Harline( another under appreciated QB) in favor of a true freshman by the name of Towles, you and your kind are truly idiots.

• J-Dub421
      9:53 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

If you want to reply to me, learn to use the reply function. It’s not that hard.

I said months ago that quarterback wasn’t our problem. I got vilified for it. Our offensive line was awful. Our receivers drop passes. Nothing changed about that when Barker was in the game.

How many three and outs in a row did we have in the second half? Those were with Barker. Of our 24 points, two touchdowns were scored by the defense. I think Barker can be good eventually, but let’s not pretend he had a great outing on Saturday.

Towles got thrown into the game to try to make something happen when it was already too far gone. He made a desperation throw that resulted in a pick. Big deal, the game was over long before then.

35. runningunnin.454
    7:35 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Congrats to the jerks on this board;you have run a kid off the football team. I would hope Patrick would reconsider this hasty decision based on emotions.But he had plenty of poor role models. Stoops capitulated to you boors and benched the more experienced QB.Then to put him in with 4 min left and 2 TD’s behind was just a cruel insult.
    The funny thing is with 80 bowl berths and not enough 6 win teams they are going to take 5-7 teams.UK is in the strongest football conference in the country; and, UK has 2 sec wins, one over a team that yesterday played the No. 1 team to within a FG.
    Finally to the University of Georgia: a man takes you to 15 straight bowl games including this yr with a 9-3 record, and you fire him? Real classy. To Georgia and you ass-holes on this board: it is just a game.

• Jester
      11:44 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Give me a break. The “jerks on this board” did not run him off. That’s giving this board way more credit than it will ever deserve. Do you seriously think this board has that kind of influence? That’s a joke. It’s a blog run by a former ambulance chaser. We’re not talking about Oscar Combs and Cat’s Pause here.

12:09 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Then why the f$%& are you here visiting it and commenting? LOL

36. BLUEsky
    9:29 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

This is a sad day after a disappointing loss. I hope you change your mind Patrick. The team needs you. Disregard the grumblings of a few clueless fans. I appreciate your hard work and effort on the field, and truly enjoyed watching you play. Whatever you decide to do, all the best to you and your family.

37. plumloopy
    11:43 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Bizarre that people here think Towles owes them anything. He has one year left and simply can’t stay in a program where he might not even get the opportunity to play. He’s thinking about after college – he’s not going to get a shot at the pros sitting on a bench. He’s better off playing at a smaller school and getting out there every game to show what he can do.

38. GroundControlToNumber9
    3:15 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

He bleeds yellow.

A failed quitter who’s word blows around in the wind. #ALLINMYASS

When your interception count matches your TD count the mirror has your number. What college coach is knocking at the door of a kid that can’t take responsibility for throwing the ball to the opponent?