Tommy Mainord is out as wide receivers coach

The guys hinted at this on today’s show, but UK just confirmed that wide receivers coach Tommy Mainord is no longer on the staff, along with Shannon Dawson.

After the wide receiving corps’ problems this season, the move is pretty expected. Who will UK hire to take his place? Good question and this isn’t based on any intel, but wouldn’t it be neat if it was former UK great Craig Yeast? His son is set to join UK in 2017 and he coaches high school ball in Ohio…just saying.

Regardless, best of luck to Mainord, the man who brought the “Yahtzee” slogan to Kentucky. Does this mean it’s time to put away the dice?

26 Comments for Tommy Mainord is out as wide receivers coach

1. david8577
    4:25 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Dorian Baker is a career wrecking ball.

• catgrad7072
      4:41 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

I guess he’d drop the wrecking ball too.

• leon singleton
      4:46 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Patrick Towles was the wrecking ball.

• J-Dub421
      4:50 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Towles didn’t make Baker drop all those passes that were put in his hands.

• tippytoe
      6:31 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Dorian Baker is the worst receiver in UK history, but let’s not forget his inability or refusal to block or go over the middle. But the same could be said for Bidet, too. Let’s just hope Dawson takes both of them and their alligator arms with him.

• dean winchester
      7:54 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

If the ball hits you in the hands, in your body, within your reach, and you dont catch it, its the receiver’s fault. If the qb throws high, behind, or at your feet, or too far out front, its his fault. Most of Baker’s drops hit him in the hands. He is a talented kid, and hopefully whatever his issue was this yr will evaporate next yr. But in 2015, he was a db’s dream.

2. TonyMontana
    4:48 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

I dont think it will be a high school coach.

3. Kernel Sanders
    4:50 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Yes, please stick a fork in the stupid Yahtzee thing. It’s done.

• Sentient Third Eye
      4:52 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

I hope Stoops takes the board game habits of the replacement into consideration, else we might all be yelling, “CANDYLAND!” this time next year.

4. Cats Other Paw
    4:50 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Kim McCloud, Calvin Lowry, JaMarcus Shephard, or John Wozniak would be great choices.

Two guys I would love to see on our staff, who are genius offensive minds that will one day be legends, but I don’t think we’ll ever take the chance, are Kyle Ralph and Kevin Kelley. They are both high school coaches. Guz Malzahn was a guy plucked from high school to and SEC coaching gig, which turned out great. Ever since, Malzahn has been a big believer in giving elite high school coaching minds a shot on his staffs.

• 2thepoint
      4:56 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

I can hear it now if Stoops hired a high school coach, good grief!!!

• Duuuuuude
      4:57 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Two men, 4 first names.

• Cats Other Paw
      4:58 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

@2thepoint Sad, but true

5. Gitback Coach
    5:06 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

This change makes sense.

Craig Yeast?!? Craig Yeast? Craig Yeast.

Jesus.

6. Smyrna_Cat
    6:22 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

It was really tough to watch the receivers that last couple of years. This change was needed.

7. G_Money
    6:24 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Yeast would be a great hire! He’s a Kentucky guy, NFL experience, coaching experience…

• Gitback Coach
      9:24 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Yeast is a sub-par high school coach. If Stoops hires him, the inmates are TRULY running the asylum.

8. sportspot
    6:50 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Yep, this is really going to straighten out our problems on defense — two new offensive hires is all it took while all the time I thought it was Elliott and Stoops. This should be the next two fires, uhh Mitch, what do you think?

• UK Big Board Update
      7:37 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

Good lord, you’re a dumbass…

9. cayuttts
    6:56 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

I’m about done with the deer in the headlights from our coaches, need some gray hairs on the sideline. Won’t happen, but Bob Beatty would be a great OC coordinator…

10. Scrappy Cat
    8:53 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know much about Mainord’s pedigree or if he is a good coach or not. It’s hard to know these things without actually being on the inside. I really don’t know what he could have done though to make these guys catch the balls that were many times right in their hands. I’m not saying that he was not the problem but I can’t say that he was either. I guess time will tell. Regardless of the reasoning for all the drops I just hope the problem gets solved. Because in all reality the terrible offensive line play and dropped passes are the main two things that killed this season. I can’t understand how the offensive line coach has not been mentioned in these firings, his group was the worst position group on the team by far. If the Offensive line does not improve I don’t see how any OC is going to be successful with the offense.

• HackRichards
      10:24 pm December 18, 2015 Permalink

I agree, Schlarrman is a wildcat and was a good one, but our line was definitely NOT SEC caliber.

11. UoKFB PHAN
    1:35 am December 19, 2015 Permalink

Spot on Scrappy C. The o-line was the biggest problem with the receivers being a close second. I’m hoping the main problem with the o-line was its inexperience. If they are still having the same struggles by the middle of next season then Stoops needs to start making plans for a new o-line coach.

I’ve thrown this out before… I wonder if Mike Summers wouldn’t mind heading back home to KY to finish out his coaching career. He is known to be a good teacher and for being very demanding of his players. He’s been at Florida for two years now so that might help in the recruiting area. I really hope Schlarrman and company can turn the o-line around this year but if not it is time for a change.

12. Long Dong Silver
    8:04 am December 19, 2015 Permalink

It’s a shame some of our knucklehead receivers don’t go, too. Whoever the next coach is, first sign of trouble, needs to clean some house.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:27 am December 19, 2015 Permalink

And then we’re right back where we started when Joker left….

Take a page from Petrino: sometimes you have to go with a few bad eggs.

13. KTower
    1:38 pm December 19, 2015 Permalink

Calling out players by name on these boards is classless. They are Kentucky Players and they deserve support.

All Fans were frustrated with the dropped balls and weak pass protection. Kentucky gave away the Auburn and Vanderbilt games due to dropped balls and poor offensive line play at critical times.

GBB