Today On KSR: Only one more sleep ’till Auburn

The countdown clock reads 27.5 hours until your University of Kentucky Wildcats kick off with the Auburn Tigers in a lightly-attended Jordan Hare Stadium on opening Saturday for the SEC. The wait has lasted forever after COVID tore apart the usual routine going all the way back to before spring football, but now the season is upon us, finally.

UK Football released a hype video to get you ready for the game. I recommend asking someone to tie you to a chair before you hit play to keep from hurting yourself or others.

Mark Stoops addressed the media last night.

Tune in to hear Coach Stoops’ final comments before the team takes off for Auburn, Alabama, but don’t expect any Joey Gatewood news because Stoops did not offer an update.

KSBar and Grille is ready for the game.

Image

Seating is reservation-only inside, but on the outside we’ve blocked off the road and pitched a tent to accommodate as many Cats fans as possible for the big event. The party will get going at 10:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

A new Free Money Podcast is online.

In this week’s episode of the Free Money Podcast, Matt and I were joined by longtime KSR caller Jay in Lyndon and the contest winner from last week’s challenge, Ryan Ferguson. We gave our picks for every SEC game on Saturday’s schedule plus a couple of other college football games and some from the NFL.

We issued a new challenge to our listeners too.

Free Money Podcast: Expert picks for SEC Week 1 and NFL

Kroger’s KSR Game of the Week will take us to Simon Kenton tonight for Simon Kenton vs. Johnson Central.

For the third Game of the Week this season, KSR is loading up the van and taking off for northern Kentucky where Simon Kenton High School will host Johnson Central, the defending 4A state champ from the mountains. Today’s KSR show will come to you from Simon Kenton’s press box and we’ll have coverage of the game later tonight.

Get ready with our game previews:

20 Things To Know: Simon Kenton vs. Johnson Central (Game of the Week)

Kroger’s KSR Game of the Week: Johnson Central vs. Simon Kenton

Freddie Maggard, Ryan Lemond and I will be tailgating at the Beaumont Kroger in Lexington. Beginning at 4 p.m., we will be giving away Kroger gift cards if you come up to us and say, “Kroger Presents the KSR Game of the Week.” See you there.

Michael Jordan no longer has the best switch-handed layup.

With all due respect to the GOAT, Jamal Murray now holds the title for best acrobatic, switch-handed layup in NBA history. Murray went up with the right, switched to the left and took it up and underneath LeBron James and the rim:

Murray also did this:

And this:

Murray finished with 32 points but it was the Lakers finishing on top (with a little help from officiating) to extend their lead in the series to 3-1. Anthony Davis and LeBron James combined for 60.

Miami can send Boston home from the bubble tonight.

Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo and their Heat teammates can clinch a spot in the NBA Finals tonight. Miami currently holds a 3-1 lead on the Celtics with one more win to grab to become the first ever No. 5 seed to reach the NBA Finals.

Tip-off is at 8:30 on ESPN.

Tune in to KSR in one hour.

LIVE from Simon Kenton High School in Independence, Kentucky.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Today On KSR: Only one more sleep ’till Auburn

1. UKinIN
    9:10 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Stop. Jordan went higher than Murray and it happened in the NBA finals. Love Murray but stop.

• 2andToodleLoo
      9:13 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Totally disagree. Murray’s is more acrobatic and he reached around the rim and the defender.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:44 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

They’re both great moves, but I have to come down on the Jordan side, but not by a ton. I just went back and watched the Jordan one, and the funny thing is the look on Phil Jackson’s face right after. He’s smiling and thinking “I can’t believe I actually get some of the credit for coaching this team to these wins!”

Haha. Just kidding. He was a great coach, but he was also blessed by taking over teams that had talent in place to win it all…except for the Knicks of course.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:49 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I will admit some bias in my opinion, and that is I had never seen that move before Jordan did it. I was watching the game that night and I yelled out when he did it. I had a roommate at the time, and he & his brother were in the back room. They heard me yell and had to come see the replay.

I did enjoy that Murray put that move on Lebron though.

• ClutchCargo
      9:51 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know which play was better. But there are different types of great coaches. Some can win with lesser talent, which is impressive. But then there are the Phil Jackson types who specialize in setting the tone and managing the egos on a super talented team, kind of like Cal does at the college level.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:54 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

True enough about coaches. And I’m not watching NBA. I had to watch the replay above, so it’s not the same as seeing it live and instead seeing folks argue which was better and having to watch the video the day after.

2. Bluehender
    9:40 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

“It ain’t our fault they gotta play us.” Go Cats!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:45 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

WORD!!!

3. slam212121
    10:32 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Murray did it better and UP AND AROUND the so called greatest player in modern era to boot.

4. 2Dogs
    10:53 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Jordan is the greatest ever but that’s the most overrated play in NBA history (yes I tend to exaggerate). He wasn’t challenged by anybody in the air. He just chose to switch hands. Graceful, check. Acrobatic, check. Murray’s play was great by any standard.