Throwback Thursday with Patty Ice

It wasn’t that long ago that people were proclaiming Patrick Towles as the savior of Kentucky Football, with Tim Couch comparisons thrown around frequently.  During Joker Phillips’ final season Towles showed signs of greatness before injuries knocked him out for the season.  The limelight around Towles dimmed even further during his redshirt season, with fans assuming an imminent transfer.

Towles has proved the naysayers wrong, working during his redshirt season with an outside QB coach that quickened his release and took the hitch out of his giddy up throwing motion.  He’s been a favorite of Coach Stoops this Spring, earning the starting nod for the Spring Game.  Like the other two quarterbacks, he had many ups and downs last Saturday, but what set him apart from the others was his final drive of the first half.  With 53 seconds to play, he took the team 58 yards in 12 plays for a field goal as time expired.

His calm demeanor and quick decision-making has put Towles in the driver seat for starting quarterback.  It appears that ol’ Patty Ice is finally meeting the hype.  Back in January of 2012 in my first KSR post EVER, I spoke with Pat about the hype and excitement of coming to UK.  It’s interesting to see how times have changed (and how much the site has changed).

UK fans were excited when they saw you committed to UK. Why UK? What was so intriguing compared to some of the big football programs out there?

“It was a culmination of things, you know it’s great to play in front of 100,000 every week in front of big name coaches, for big game programs, but you know it’s about more than that. It’s about the team, the players, the coaches, it’s about the managers, everyone in the program, and you know when the crap hits the fan, you know those guys will be there for you. I’ve built great relationships with Coach Sanders and Coach Phillips and I’m excited, because what playing football is about is the people around you.”

That being said, what are the fans going to get excited about when they watch you play?

“I don’t know one thing that I could really say, but I do pride myself how I can throw the ball down the field 70 yards or so, and I can pretty much put it where I want it. In high school, people aren’t used to running down the field 70 yards, so I’m excited to put my arm to the test.”

You’ve won Mr. Football and you’ll be joining the likes of Tim Couch and Jared Lorenzen who have won Mr. Football and have gone on to great successes at UK. But there have also been guys like Curtis Pulley that never reached their potential in college. Does this put any more pressure on you to succeed, or is it just something that comes with it?

“It’s a little bit of both. There is always pressure on your quarterback in a big program, but I like doing that, competing for the starting job, getting a lot of hard work done; but there’s always pressure, as a quarterback it comes with the package. You get the spotlight, so you have to know how to deal with it.”

What is your personal goal that you hope to reach while your time at UK?

“Before the season ended, I wanted to beat Tennessee, but I guess continue that streak. I think we can do that, we definitely have a shot to beat Florida, and I ultimately want to have a good time; football’s fun. I know people will call me crazy but I want to compete for a national championship. The SEC has done it the last 5 years and will keep doing it, and I think we can put something together to make that shot. I think and believe we have the guys that can do it. I mean that’s why you go to a big program like this.”

You get the call to come in, who do you want to beat the most?

“I’d have to say Louisville, because we didn’t beat them last year. I never liked Louisville and Tennessee growing up, I was always a UK fan, and I know a Louisville cheerleader so that’d make it even better.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

15 Comments for Throwback Thursday with Patty Ice

1. Ryan
    2:51 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Patty is short for Patricia. Paddy is short for Patrick.

• Nick Roush
      3:02 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Tell it to him on Twitter @patty_ice14

2. Mc
    3:00 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Wow, they got 12 plays off in 53 seconds. That’s pretty good.

• Leon
      3:45 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Wonder if the D was just letting them get out of bounds on quick hitters?

3. Don
    3:07 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Saw him in high school, and he had a huge arm, but he was not accurate at all.

I love football, and would love to see UK do well, but I don’t see him ever being “the guy” to do it. Sure would like to be wrong, but I’ll wait for Barker to develop. What’s another few years of ass-whoopin’s…

• Jim 1
      5:30 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Also saw him in high school and he was extremely accurate. Was something like 42 td passes with one interception. With numbers like that you have to be accurate.

In high school Towles was more of a pro-set qb and his delivery had to be altered to fit coach Brown’s short style passing offense. Coach Stoops & Brown did not want to waste another year for Towles (as Joker did) last season with a depleted offensive line and very few receivers. So the redshirt season and working with a qb instructor over the summer was their plan to fit Towles into their scheme.

If Barker can redshirt this season and the receivers & offensive line can continue to be upgraded then the future will be bright for UK football. But this season will be a struggle, so lets hang with the Cats through this struggle and let Stoops build a strong football program. GO CATS

4. new scout.com rankings
    3:07 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

#4 Karl Towns *****
    #11 Trey Lyles *****
    #20 Tyler Ulis *****
    #29 Devin Booker – highest ****

5. what?
    3:15 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

He proved the naysayers wrong with an up and down spring game performance? Don’t get me wrong I like the guy, but lets not make the tv movie just yet.

6. Rei
    3:28 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Towles had one dumb pass that was picked off. Phillips looked good, and Barker was 7/19. That screams redshirt.

7. David
    4:40 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

The writer said ” During Joker Phillips’ final season Towles showed signs of greatness before injuries knocked him out for the season. ” What games was the writer watching. I saw no signs of greatness. I have nothing against Patrick but come on lets call it like it was not blow smoke up our A$$. Smith by far was the best thing we had going for us at the time and if we had a decent offensive line he would be starting today.

It seems that KRS is bias towards Towles, after listening to Matt Jones the other day on the radio, Towles was all he could talk about. Coach Brown had to make the remarks that Reese by far was the steadiest player who made the least mistake of the three man race. If coach doesn’t say anything about Reese or Baker all that Matt would have talked about was how great Towles looked the whole show. If coach picks Patrick over Reese I am ok with that, but lets not make like Towles is some Greek God Throwing lighting bolts all over Commonwealth Stadium.

• Chris
      4:51 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Only QBS ive seen throw out routes with that much zip on it , are in the NFL or on their way to the pros!! Not saying Towles will be BUT he has all the tools ,, Chris Collinworths does a good amount of watching pro QBS and he has always loved Towles !! Watch all 3 QBs out route passes from spring game a pass they have to hit in Browns offense!!

8. Real
    5:41 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

We definitely have a shot to be Florida? Lol. Yea, we’ve had that shot for 20+ yrs. we lost that shot when we didn’t hire Petrino!!!

9. WillB
    7:56 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

Definitely agree Towles is not the savior that we all are looking for and have been waiting for at UK! I think half of what he’s got is confidence. He uses the power of persuasion better than anyone I know. He tells every person that interviews him how great he is and how much better he has gotten! I really think it’s one of those things that if u keep hearing it, you tend to believe it! You don’t hear the other 2 beating their own drums! Drew and Reese maybe you should do the same and tell everyone that will listen how great you are, then maybe you’ll get the starting position! I also agree that Matt Jones is very biased toward Towles. In fact I don’t want to listen to his radio show anymore!

10. LoveCat
    1:06 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

“Chris” said in his post, that “CRIS Collinsworth does a good amount of watching pro QBS and he has always loved Towles!” But Cris is one heck of a great guy and he would NEVER throw a young kid under the bus (that went to school and played football with both of his own sons at Highlands High School). He was a part time football coach on the sidelines at HHS. So when interviewed about Towles, Cris would never say anything bad about him, he of course is going to say great things about him! If he didn’t say great things, heck, the Towles family would spit on him every time they saw him in town where they both live about 5 minutes apart. So obviously Cris has give a glowing report!

11. Cakeeater alumni loves bluebirds
    7:41 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

I live in Fort Thomas and don’t remember any interviews by Cris Collinsworth about Towles.

Would like to hear what he has to say about him.

Anybody know where to find them?